• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old time Logging

Wolfcsm

Here are some that you might find interesting.

Hal

Attachments

• 22fira.jpg
    22fira.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 3,038
  • 180px-Loggers.jpg
    180px-Loggers.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 3,024
  • backcutting-tn.jpg
    backcutting-tn.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 3,116
  • byhand-tb.jpg
    byhand-tb.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 2,971
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 2,923

Wolf

solar

There must be a lot of sunny days where ya'll live if you think solar panels are logical.

Doesn't matter. Tree huggers say solar is a good idea. So what if the sun doesn't shine--they must be right, or so they think . . .

Besides, does anybody actually consider the cost of installing the solar panels/generator to begin with? It's quite expensive to put them in, tax credits not withstanding. . .

Ray Welsh

Banned
Doesn't matter. Tree huggers say solar is a good idea. So what if the sun doesn't shine--they must be right, or so they think . . .

Besides, does anybody actually consider the cost of installing the solar panels/generator to begin with? It's quite expensive to put them in, tax credits not withstanding. . .

Solar panels, known as PV or photovoltaics will still produce electricity under overcast skies, although at a reduced capacity. They use light, not heat, and you need more for cloudy days.

Tax credits depend on the government in control but I'll tell you this for nothing. "The sun will rise for many years after the last drop of oil is used up, so keep your horses handy".
Some may wish to Google "peak oil" which has predicted todays scenario for many years. It's all about supply and demand and certain members of society have burned oil like it was going out of fashon. Is that your country????????
C ya..........Ray

OneWelder

Wolfcsm
Are those a commercial picture ? I can remember my grandfather (he had a sawmill) having what I remember as the some of the same pictures. I have not seen these in 30 to 40 yrs so I could easily be mistaken. I also imagine these to be common poses around the Giant Redwoods

Wolfcsm

Wolfcsm
Are those a commercial picture ? I can remember my grandfather (he had a sawmill) having what I remember as the some of the same pictures. I have not seen these in 30 to 40 yrs so I could easily be mistaken. I also imagine these to be common poses around the Giant Redwoods

I got them off an internet site. Not commercial but did a search on logging and late 1880's.

Hal

Banks

Hello,

I am new to the forum so I can't start a new tread. I found an old logging picture from a logging tractor. I have never seen it before but I found it a interesting tractor and I would like to know more about it. Could someone tell me what tractor this is,maybe some more pictures of it. I live in Belgium and I do not have access to all the materials about American logging tractors.

Here is the link to the picture:

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/indocc&CISOPTR=528&CISOBOX=1&REC=7

hvy 1ton

bwat? They had forwarders when people still used b&w? Kinda funny how long tracks took to come full circle.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Banks,
Nehalem is the name of the area in Oregon where the photo was taken.

The logging industry was alway very innovative in finding ways to move heavy logs out of the woods. I don't recognize the machine but would bet someone has taken an ag machine and modified it carry logs. It doesn't look like they were tied on so I would be kind of nervous about running the rig.

It is a good photo.

Banks

Tanks very much for the information John C. It's just I am very interested in tracked machines. But when I see this photo I though there is nothing new under the sun. If you see the tracked farm tractors of today they where around 75 years ago. In the text with the photo they mention 22 mph. It's very impressive. Its seem to me that the tracks or the same at with the tracked dirt wagons of that same time.

flyboy912

During the early 60's I set chokers out in the Olympic peninsula in the last permanent camp. It was in the rain forest and it rained all the time. We walked on boardwalks in the camp with our corks on. The mess hall had everything to eat you could want. You grabbed a sack lunch on the way out the door. Most of the logs (big ones) were in the mud so we set a small charge under the log to blow out the mud and then jumped down into the water and set the choker. You stood on the log as the charge blew as that was the only safe place to be. Also worked high line on Mt. Rainier with a 600hp. tower yarder and 1 1/2 main line, pretty big logs.

Roadswitcher

Hyster

A couple of pix out of an old Hyster book.

Attachments

• hyster F1.jpg
    hyster F1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 3,914
  • hysterFB.jpg
    hysterFB.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 3,686

Choker man

I wonder what the safety inspectors would have to say about the equipment pictured. No hard hats, no guarding, no ROP cab, as well as more than I would possibly know.

They did all the logging and didn't give it a second thought.

The early logging was done with small equipment and now is done with large equipment ( multiple-tasking) when any logging is done.

Can anyone imagine sleeping 20 or more in a single room? Etcetras.

Redwood Climber

They are locked up in parks!

great old picutures. where have all the big trees gone?

I spent 20 years logging old growth Redwood and Douglas Fir. At the time our company foresters calculated that at the rate we were logging we had at least 100 years of timber supply. Then the whacko's in power in Washington DC decided it would be a good idea to spend the taxpayer's money to lock them up forever. Ever wonder where the nearing 15 TRILLION dollar national debt came from? This kind of thinking has us where we sit. We have well over 100,000 acres of old growth timber in parks up here. The last Redwood will never be cut. They are beautiful trees, beautiful to look at.....beautiful to use.

Last edited:

Redwood Climber

Great pics. I doubt that technology would help get those giants down.

Actually technology did speed up the process of cutting, logging, hauling and milling those giants. Chainsaws with bars of 6' and longer sped up the cutting. Trees that took days to cut before chainsaws, now (in the 60's - 90's) only took hours. Wrestling a log 8' in diameter now only took minutes to get it to the landing. Sometimes that was with a huge Skagit BU199 or a Washingtono 217 yarder using 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 cables. Other times it may have been a D9G or a D8 46A dragging (skidding) logs to the landing. 988 front end loaders could lift this 8' x 16' log onto a short logger........sometimes it was a real rassliing match......but off it went to the mill being pulled by 400 or more horsepower.......

Last edited: