• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New to form/Komatsu breakout question

Digndirt

Just thought I would introduce myself. I have a Kubota K008-3 I use on my own 5 acre property. For the most part I have used it to dig trenches for phone, water, and gas lines. I have also been using it to dig back a slope to create more level area. I am hoping to soon get something bigger. I am looking at he Komatsu PC27MR-2, or perhaps the PC20MR-2. If anyone out there has any experiance with either machine I would appreaciate your opinion. I noticed the bucket breakout force is low on the Komatsu compared to the Kubota of similar size. The Komatsu has a higher arm force though. Is one more important than the other?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Digndirt! :drinkup

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I used a PC20 to dig out for a poured concrete porch and run trenches for utilities. It only had 70hrs, so I don't know how the model numbers line up with the one you are looking at.

The low breakout force was very noticeable and the stick force didn't really impress me either. This thing had only a 9 or 10 inch bucket and I don't think it could have handled much bigger. To be fair I was digging in some clay, but the bucket would get wedged in the trench and I couldn't curl it or lift it out. Even digging the better soil up top wasn't real easy. Most Komatsu excavators that I have used have been very nice, but this one didn't measure up in my opinion.

The other problem was that the arm rest were too high adjusted to the lowest setting and the rubber really pinched and irritated my arms. It was bad enough that I took them off even though it was only being rented for two days.

A similar size Kubota is going to be much better. Any small Kubotas have always had more than enough digging power when we rented them. Perhaps I had a dud, so you should run both for yourself. Sometimes the raw numbers don't tell the full story.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The Komatsu mini excavators don't spec all that great across the board, neither do their skid steers. Typically though on excavators some tend to be arm diggers and some bucket diggers. Komatsu is an arm digger meaning you utilize the arm to dig more so than the bucket. My Takeuchi is a bucket digger with very high bucket breakout.

Digndirt

Thanks for the welcome super moderator and thanks cat420 and ksss for the good feedback. I have my little Kubota set to the Pattern where I can curl and pull the arm back at the same time. I think that is the S.A.E pattern??? Maybe I would be ok with a Komatsu with the right digging technique? I did have an opportunity to test a Kubota U15 today. It dug down to three feet through the wet clay in no time at all. I wish I could test it out on the hard DG sandstone on my property. It takes a lot of clawing and scratching but even my little Kubota K008 can get through it. I supose anything bigger than what I have now would impress me! I am hoping to avoid being disapointed a few months after I get a new excavator. Any one else out there who has used a Komatsu PC20MR or PC27MR?

Wulf

Digndirt, I don't think there is really that much difference in the operating technique required on any modern excavator. Arm and/or bucket force is related to the hydraulic system pressure, length and bore of the cylinders, engine HP, the geometry of the work equipment such as length of the arm etc... at the bucket, the tip radius, width and type of GET (tooth system) will make a big difference as to how that power is applied and how it cuts through the material.

Not taking anything away from any other compact excavators, bear in mind that Komatsu have been towards the front of excavator technology for decades, a good excavator will have smooth hydraulics and good balance between curling the bucket, bringing in the arm, raising the boom and swinging, you should be looking for fast cycle times with almost effortless smooth action, good solid ground stability and also nice fine control for your finishing work.

If possible you should try and demo all of your machines of choice before making a decision

Digndirt

Wulf, thanks for your reply. It is good to hear a vote of confidence for the Komatsu. I was able to sit on a PC27MR-2 on the showroom floor at the dealer. It felt very comfortable and the leg room was much better than the Kubota U25. The Komatsu dealer said he would bring it up to my property so I can try it out. The Kubota dealer said they would not do that because then they would have to sell it as a used machine if I did not take it. They don't have any U25s as rentals to try. The only experiance I have is the 135 hours on my Kubota K008-3 and it is very smooth to opperate. I will look for that smoothness and more power in a bigger machine! Neither dealer will take my 008 as a trade in and I have tried to sell it on Criegs List myself without seccess. So untill I sell what I have it is giving me some time to figure out which excavator is to my liking. Thanks for everyones help on my next excavator. Please keep the info and opinions coming! :)

Coastal

As soon as my kubota sells, I have a brand new PC27 waiting at the dealership for me. I love the cab in the komatsus, it has more room than my kx161-3, and it has air, which not many manufacturers seem to offer in that size machine. One thing to check with the dealer is if they can raise the PSI to your cylinders. I usually get them to max mine out to the factory maximum, and it makes a huge difference in the breakout force.

Digndirt

How much do you want for the k-008?? I have an older one, and love it!

:D
Coastal, I have it listed for $14,250. I know that may be high. I bought it new in Dec 05 and with only 136 hours was hoping to attract someone who is looking at a new one and would want to save 2K or more. What do you think it is realistic for me to sell it for?

Coastal

Honestly I think that is a great price, new here they are $25000. I got mine which is an ugly grey market blue one for $10,500 with 1400 hours.

Advertise it to plumbers and electricians!

Digndirt

Honestly I think that is a great price, new here they are $25000. I got mine which is an ugly grey market blue one for $10,500 with 1400 hours.

Advertise it to plumbers and electricians!
Here they sell for as high as $19,250. Your numbers must be Canadian dollars??? or maybe your area??? And I thought things were expensive in southern California! I sat on a Kubota U25 at the dealer the other day and It was much more comfortable that the last time. I did not have the set back all the way last time. What do you or anyone else think of the U25? It is about 5K less than the Komatsu PC27MR-2 and has more breakout force. I keep going back and forth between the two!!!:D

Coastal

I demo'd a U25 last year, I didnt really care for it. It didnt have a cab and it was cramped, I didnt like the reach, the power, thats why im going komatsu for sure. ;) And yes my prices were canadian. :)

Digndirt

I demo'd a U25 last year, I didnt really care for it. It didnt have a cab and it was cramped, I didnt like the reach, the power, thats why im going komatsu for sure. ;) And yes my prices were canadian. :)

I agree it is hard to beat the leg room on the Kamatsu! I like the foot peddels for the tracks on the Kamatsu.....the Kubota does not have them.