• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Kubota KX080-5 vs. New Takeuchi 290

JimEd

Paper specs are pretty close except for a 5+ gpm difference between the two at the aux port (26.4 for the Kubota v 31.7 for the Takeuchi). Is that a significant difference? Both are 10 ton machines with similar hp. My private use on a 100 acre property will involve mostly brush mowing ponds and terraced slopes, mulching, tree shearing and carrying stuff, which rely heavily on aux hydraulics. Not so much digging. Location of dealers not a huge factor in purchase decision (Kubota a half hour away while Takeuchi a little over an hour). Pricing is close although I believe the Tak might have a $5K-$10K premium over the Kubota. Demo-ing the machines won’t tell me much due both to my inexperience with excavators and the fact that the demo machines only come with buckets. Thanks for any advice.

Allan M

Occupation
Semi-retired: Strategic planner/author
Hi Jim: You may consider looking at a few of the preferred attachments that you would buy for your new machine. Check out the weight and needed flow rates on those. Having two Kubota's (U55-4 Excavator @6.2 tons and LX3310 Tractor) I'm a Kubota fan. Being 6' 1" tall I don't like the foot peddle position of my Kubota cab excavator. It's reliable and controls very smooth. I did buy a TMG (Canadian based company) hydraulic off-set flail mower for my tractor. The unit is very well made and performs like a beast. Here's the TMG link for an Excavator brusher that uses up to 21gpm on the aux port. https://www.tmgindustrial.com/produ...-21-gpm-tmg-efm80?_pos=5&_sid=aebf0bcbe&_ss=r
With either machine I think you need to travel, be stationary and then mow. Hard to do both since it would max your flow rate. I have a friend with a Takeuchi and he loves it. I've put 1500 on my excavator (while not close to being an expert) I have done some serious land clearing and earth moving on significant slopes. So, I would buy a Kubota again. The attachment I've referenced is about 800lbs... so it's important too that the machine you buy is stable with that much weight out on the stick. From what I've read both of the machines you reference are adequate. I think 800lbs would be too much weight out on the end of the stick on my 6.2ton machine even though I have the flow rate to run it. Best, A

JimEd

Haven’t paid much attention to the attachments as there are so many manufacturers, but point well taken. Also a consideration is what machine (if either) will take a counterweight as mowers and, especially, mulchers can be weighty.

PlumberRob

Jim, Ask each dealer that you want to demo an attachment as well(even if it is old or a different type of attachment than what you will actually need), any type of attachment that is hydraulic driven will give you and idea on how it performs while running the attachment and using the boom or traveling at the same time. You'll know which one bogs or which one has the hydraulic power while running the attachment. My experience is what you read on paper is never what it is like in the real world when using.
Both machines are great choices and both manufacturers are part of the 4 brands that I buy and have very good luck with(Kubota, Tak, Bobcat, and Cat).

JimEd

In my area it's usually an issue finding a dealer that has both the machine you're considering and an attachment to run. But, your point's well taken. I just might get lucky.

KenMac

Occupation
Commercial HVAC tech
I can't offer expert advice but I bought a Takeuchi 260 instead of a Kubota KX057 due to the much greater aux flow and break out force. I'm happy with my 260 even though it was a rental unit.

KenMac

Occupation
Commercial HVAC tech
You ever test the aux flow? Wonder if it's as advertised and/or if it's suffered from age and wear.
Both units were used and I went by factory stated specs. Also. the Tak has aux hydraulics plumbed to stick. Kubota didn't.