• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Dozer for my Birthday

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
I use Howe's Diesel Treat in the 6-71s in my boat. Keeps any water in solution and adds lubricity (sp?) lost from the uls fuel we get these days.

I am envious of your b'day present!

Good luck!

Rick

vernier

Hd10

Looks like you have a keeper there !! I spent some time on one of these machines when I first started out, those detroits kept everybody around them awake no doubt. Be sure to check the final drives and look for leaking seals back there, with the push beam mounted as it is it puts more shock load on those bearings. Looks like you might need a grill, I might know of a donor machine for parts if you are interested.
Good Luck
Vernier

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
I spent some time on an HD14 back in my early days, had the 6-71 GM was the same, blue smoke and slobbering also ran on 5 cyls some times, best fix was some hard work, get the temp up and blow the cobwebs out of it and it usually came right.

cb1

Occupation
retired military
So, I'm working on my pickup in my shop, brother stops by so I start the Allis and raised the blade and left it running. Trying to burn up that 13 yr old fuel. Went in the house for lunch and check emails. Now I see the through the picture window, the left side of the blade is already on the ground and the rights side is about 6 inches from the ground. May have some bypass or seal leakage.

Oh, and yeah, it has a little wet-stacking when she sits and idles....

cb1

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's really a nice looking old machine, nice find bro. :cool:

Are you planning on changing the engine oil? And yes, it should have some form of clutch brake as Komatsu150 stated.

cb1

Occupation
retired military
Yes, I plan on changing the engine oil and all of the filters. Antifreeze looks good. I am military manual on cd, hopefully that shows the clutch deal and how to adjust.

cb1

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Sounds good. Be sure and use only SAE40 oil. You need one with a sulfated ash of 1.0 % or below. Chevron Delo 100 meets the Detroit spec the best, Delo 400 won't do. O'Reilly Auto Parts can still order Delo 100.

51kw

Dont let those detroits idle too long. Bring them up to 1/4 throttle or a little more. Thery will load up and run away when you do open the throttle. Had it happen on a truck. SCARY!

51kw

I think the best thing for that old girl would be to check all fluids and then take her out and make her work. Push some dirt.

Jednlulu

Occupation
Sales-Automotive & PSP Brake Manufacturing Company
What a sweet find! And fired right up after sitting for so long? That's just too cool!

cb1

Occupation
retired military
We'll long story short. My uncle bought it at a auction 13-14 years ago and then brought it to his property across the road from my house and had it dropped. He never touched it. So, since I have looked at it for more than a decade, I figured I might as well own it and get it running.

I am clearing a couple of acres for more apple trees and will use it and then decide its future. I am in no hurry, just something to do in my down time from work.

cb1

Occupation
retired military
Ok, working (putt-sing) through a couple issues before I push some dirt with it.

Who sells a master pin for the track, online?

I will get a picture and post soon. Thanks

turbo8781

Occupation
retired
Ok, working (putt-sing) through a couple issues before I push some dirt with it.

Who sells a master pin for the track, online?

I will get a picture and post soon. Thanks

You'll have to find somebody that deals with the old AC's.
I have a guy I use, he's in northern Oregon the company is called "parts unknown" and his name is Deck Hyde phone # 503-879-5440
great guy very helpfull.

and yes show us some pics, you may not need any parts at all. There's lot of trick a guy can do to get by.

FreedomMan

Cherry. Even the paint job looks pretty good.
I've got a '46 HD7 and it's a beast. I use it for clearing land for food plots...you know a nutjob deer hunter.
I do have an issue...a pin on my track has cut loose and I need to line up the holes of the track to drive it back through. Once this is achieved, I need to spot weld the outside of the pin. I'm strugging with getting the holes to line up. I wratcheted the plates towards each other, but I'm flexing the track.
Anybody on this thread have any insight? I'm trying to avoind driving off of the track to fix this.