• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. Red & White Iron, Past and Present....

TorkelH

Unknown Franklin 044's

Winter shots from Franklin, this is a dbl main but not Y55. The one from helicopter is a tag, unknown location. Couple of Franklin shop pics.

Attachments

• Camp B.jpg
    Camp B.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,528
  • Unknown dbl main.jpg
    Unknown dbl main.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,512
  • Unknown_tag.png
    Unknown_tag.png
    635.2 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Unknown dbl main franklin_2.jpg
    Unknown dbl main franklin_2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 1,497
  • Camp B_2.jpg
    Camp B_2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,499

TorkelH

Way to go Torkel. I knew you had more pictures hidden away. Sure like those L129 pictures. I think the super snorkel was one of the most innovative inventions that loggers ever thought of, besides the grapple yarder that is. DBDLS.
I must agree in that! This rush was partly for you DBDLS, I have published some of these pic's on HEF before. If you want shots from my videos I have a hours of Y55 and Y18!

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Feel Like I'm Going Back

Well Torkel, everytime you start posting one of these major series of shots, I feel myself going back in time. There's nothing quite like being up on a sidehill during a snowy winter's day to get whiff of the cold air, diesel exhaust , and evergreen trees. The air would be so still, you would get a sense of your remoteness from everyone else. I remember wolf howls in the back end while yarding out Ash River and hoped to hell they weren't getting closer. Always a couple of Ravens flying over the guy lines to catch your attention. Your shots of the snow covered landing made me feel 20 years old again.

The shots of H-324 & H-325 were something I haven't seen in many years as well. If I remember the H-323 & the H-324 came with the rounded tube bumper, whereas the H-325 & H-326 had the square built up bumpers. They all came within months of each other and I always wondered why the differences. Beautiful trucks they were. The only guy I recognized is the smiling Barry Forbses.

The Y-02 shot has me scratching my head. I definitely remember it as being solid red in colour and a darker colour than the usual M & B variety. It could have been all of the grease and oil that gave it a darker hue. The machine undercarraige seems to bring me to think that it might be from the original one. Thanks for your shots.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Burnt 144

Thought everyone would like to see a couple of pictures I took of the Kennedy Lake 144's burnt machinery deck and engine sub frame back when 144's ruled (sorry about the prejudice Trakloader) and burned.

Attachments

• KLD 144.2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,411
  • KLD 144.1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,405

dirty4fun

How long is that Super Snorkel, man it looks like it is awful long.

Great pictures thanks for sharing them with us, very enjoyable.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Thought everyone would like to see a couple of pictures I took of the Kennedy Lake 144's burnt machinery deck and engine sub frame back when 144's ruled (sorry about the prejudice Trakloader) and burned.
Thats the yarder refered to in my post#349. Pics taken in Madill Nan. yard. Do you have a date when they were taken? Really glad to see these posted. Thanks. Regards D.D.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Wrong Number.

Torkel - I now have a different idea about the burnt out Yarder out at Taylor Division. It wasn't the Y-02 - I gave it a re-think and I am quite sure that it was the Y-102. I was only a hundred numbers out - anyone can be wrong.... Does this ring a bell with your records?

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Heres two pictures of L58 as she was this spring here in Port McNeill. Not as nice looking as she once was.That snorkel that is on it when it was newer, is a Micron 120 foot folding snorkel. The last of the really good snorkels made, you can pull really hard on it and it will not foldup like the three section or four sections one will on you. And it fold in half for lowbeding ,with the other ones you have to take sections off to move most places

Attachments

• Madill 004 (Custom).jpg
    Madill 004 (Custom).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Madill 002 (Custom).jpg
    Madill 002 (Custom).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,369

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
About a have dozen or so still working on the North Island that I know of.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Kennedy Lake 144

Thats the yarder refered to in my post#349. Pics taken in Madill Nan. yard. Do you have a date when they were taken? Really glad to see these posted. Thanks. Regards D.D.
D.D. this question is going back to the analog days of photography when there wasn't all kinds of information to go along with the picture. I'm estimating that it was taken somewhere around 1994 or 1995. Like you said, "Who would have known there would be any interest in all this years down the road?" I thought Madill was going to be around forever, along with 144's and 075 log loaders and MacMillan Bloedel. It broke my heart when Weyerhaeuser destroyed MB and again when Madill went bankrupt. I hope that Nicholson can bring Madill back and keep them alive. It's a little bit of history that I would like to see carry on. DBDLS

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Weyco is certainly not the company it was when my dad joined them at Twin Harbors in the early Fifties. They have broken a lot of people's hearts in recent years, including many of their own retirees.

My dad made an interesting statement the other day. H said he thinks the St. Hlens eruption was the beginning of a slow, agonizing downfall for Weyco.

He worked with a lot of good people at Twin Harbors and Vail. Those were the days.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Thanks DBLS, I would have thought around the early to mid 90s too but time goes by way too fast. Wish I had kept better notes on all the field service jobs I did but at the time I thought I'd never forget all the details so it was kind of hit and miss. Good notes for a few months and then just overwhelmed with too many jobs in too short a time. In hindsight I should have photocopied all my service reports after I wrote them. At least they were all written on company time. Too late now tho. Regards D.D.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Cameron Yard

I can never resist taking a pic of the old Red and White colours. Taken this weekend in the Cameron Division yard. The gate was slightly open so I snuck in on my motorbike and wandered around and took shots.

Attachments

• IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,628
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,644

HDX

jackd I see that old H110 is for sale over in Squamish Maybe didnt work out doing what the fellow wanted to do She is up for grabs with the 60 Ton trailer 35,000 bones A little high but depends on how bad you need a 1972 HDX

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Where is this For Sale listing? When I talked to the owner, he was mentioning selling off the whole business and calling her a day. He's been at it many years and done well in his line of business - best go on to other things. On my first visit, there was much effort being put towards a Kenworth highway truck with a box on the back. I was told that this Kenworth was spinning out on the hills and therefore the HDX was going to be converted to take its place. On my second visit, I spied the 'Green Monster' - the old Kenworth coal truck being readied for service. My guess is that the Kenworth was a lot less work to get going than converting the HDX to these rock haul duties. The HDX was pretty filthy on the inside and the outside has what we call in my industry ' a five gallon overhaul' (crappy paint) and so I imagine that $35K could be a little high. What's the going price on these thing now and how much were they when they were new?

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,504

HDX

jackd Craigs List Vancouver Sad thing is thats probably what he got into her I know she does not have her original trailer because I own it and am going to paint it and put it behind my 1973 WHD Hayes I have your list almost ready to post as you requested about the Sproat Hayes's