• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging Accidents: And They Walked Away.........

seriouswork

A built in fire extinguisher system would have done wonders , at least the tires and forks are salvageable .

Yeah, exactly. One of those features that some might not consider until it's too late. But the tires look completely untouched from those pictures.

HDX

Log Stackers working around a high volume Dryland sort will over time collect a lot of fine bark dust powder from logs etc and it collects around the back of the machine and the engine compartment. Most of the guys try and keep these areas washed out with the fire hose situated at the sort. However sometimes something else will trigger a spark and the fan just does that Fans the fire and by the time the operator sees it TOO LATE every couple years one will go up in flames Like ben46a said at least the operator can get off. We lost one early this year same thing but she burnt to a crisp Only thing salvageable was the grapple

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
HDX, can you go back to post #374 . On the left is a trailer backed up to the shop. R R trailer stake bent. Is this from pushing loads off? Does stake hit a brow log as loads is pushed?

HDX

Yes always the R/H stakes take the brunt of the load being pushed off These were stakes that were all beefed up at the Hayes Forest shop in Duncan. Now they bend further up right were the reinforcing stops. This was done because the stakes use to break off just below the eye. When we were M&B we had 988 Cat's pushing the loads off so it went very well because they could really push. Then HFS used 960's because they were a cheaper machine, and so does IPL so what happens is they don't have the traction or just go into a converter stall on a good push and the result is logs everywhere. They drop down between the truck and the trailer and some land on the stakes that are already jammed into the deck More times than not the cat log loader on the sort has to come over and pick the mess apart ,broken logs, bent stakes That pretty well says it all. Most of the drivers kind of like the stakes bent in like that because you cant wood the p##s out of the truck, with it bent in like that the loader runs out of room. We break a conventional truck bunk off at least every couple weeks-- Rips the pin right out of the turn table !!!

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Here in Princeton with going to cut to length (short logs) the Wagner does a lot of damage to the stakes, almost every week or two.

HDX

Not exactly, On a Conventional truck the truck turntable is 8 feet wide. The truck/trailer bunks are 15 feet wide! The bunk rollers are welded to the truck bunk so they can ride on the turntable to support each side of the bunk when loaded, These bear some of the weight of the load and support the bunk. They roll along on top of the turn table when the truck turns going around corners. From the center point of the bunk to the outside of the bunk rollers is 4 feet. That leaves 3 1/2 feet of bunk out there with no weight bearing support under it! The same applies to the trailer bolster, Width there is almost same, When the load is being pushed off the truck and trailer the weight of the load transfers from both sides to all on one side as it comes off the truck. There is two big ramps that the load lands on BUT there is a drop of anywhere from 12 to 20 inches in height from the truck/trailer bunks to the ramp height In other words the majority of the weight of the load is on only one side of the truck/trailer bunk. When this happens all that weight tends to lift the drivers side up and this is where the truck bunk center pin gets pulled up and out of the truck bolster. On more than one P16 Pre-Load truck it actually pulls the king pin right out of the bottom of the 60 Ton Pacific trailer. My rear deck has a twist in it from where the stake strap toggle got caught after it was tripped to dump the load and it hung up. Almost rolled the truck on its side till the strap (1 1/4 inch cable) broke. Does this explain things OK I can post pictures of some of these disasters if you want. Life was so good when we were dumping at the "A" frame dumps. No drama No damage OH but for the good old days!

HDX

Funny you should come up with that one LOL. Got more pics to post over the holidays for entertainment on here.

dirty4fun

No snow here either, I am in Florida seeing my sister for Christmas. Oh yeah I brought tools, they always seem to have something waiting for me. Also two neighbors have some things to be done. It isn't to bad as I brought my motorcycle along and will get to do some riding, in the warm weather. Got here yesterday and have two items crossed off the honey do list, so far.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Hello Jim,you have covered many miles this year. Did you trailer your bike to Fla. or put in back of truck. Surely you did not ride it.

dirty4fun

I have done a lot of traveling thou most of it was in a short time frame. I am hoping to change that as I am trying no going to cut back on working, and do more enjoyable things. I did put the bike in my enclosed trailer, it would of been possible to ride. The temperature have been in the mid 40's for a few days. I wanted to bring more than a few clothes for a couple months stay. That and my sister has a bunch of jobs for me to do as well as a couple of her neighbors. As she says oh and don't forget to bring some tools with you. Which is okay I need a little something to do.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Oz Nelson , Ted Leroy Trucking , Beaver Cove , I guess you would say they swam away from this one . Ted Leroy Trucking loaded a barge of equipment at Beaver Cove during the summer of 2007 . I'm don't claim to be an expert on loading barges , but this one doesn't have a lot of free board , as it was being towed down Johnstone Straits it healed part way over dumping most of the equipment over the side . IMG 3191 resize.jpgIMG 3192 resize.jpgIMG 3193 resize.jpgIMG 3194 resize.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Oz Nelson , Munns Lumber , Mesachie Lake HBO IMG 3195 resize.jpgIMG 3196 resize.jpg Loading with Processor up Cottonwood Cr. , and 804 in the weeds at bottom of Maid Lake M/L .

dirty4fun

camptramp, great picture of the barge loaded and unloaded. What a way to loose so much equipment, even if it was insured it would take a lot of time to get replacement equipment.