• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lgp D8t

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I talked to one of our dozer hands that has spent a lot of time on LGPs he said the crawler is lighten up a bit too.

Opie

I would like to see that 8T with a VPAT blade like my 6R XW has! 6R XW came with 32" pads and we had them cut to 24" but they were not the LGP tracks! It looks almost identical to that 8T even the conter weight on the back! And the blade is 13' 6" wide! Ill try to get some pics of it to post:thumbsup ! it has 14hrs on it.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Notice on the first 2 pictures you can see a broken pad on the outside of the track. I agree with digger on the higher leverage since the pads are longer. We had an LGP at the quarry for awhile. We used it to spread the silt out of the silt ponds so it could dry and be hauled off. The operator parked it on top of the silt one day and got off the dozer for lunch break. Looking at the dozer sitting on the pile you would think solid ground but when he jumped off he was waist deep in silt. Never had a chance to run an LGP but it looks fun.

Scott_527

Does anyone know exactly what they do to cut weight on the LGP machines? They use the LGP machines in Alberta a lot for ROW clearing and oilfield/ pipeline work which would involve clearing stumps, brush etc, sometimes rocky ground is encountered. they don't seem to tear apart the tracks too bad. Maybe they use a extra heavy duty track?

rivired67

original factory photo lpg d-8

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sethwhite.org/images/mcmurdo/mcmurdo%2520station/tucker%2520sno%2520cat.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sethwhite.org/mcmurdo%2520station.htm&h=1200&w=1600&sz=277&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=uSKh88cgidRVJM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtucker%2Bsno%2Bcat%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

On edit: above is a link to an interesting page about McMurdo Station at the South Pole. If all you want to see is the D-8 LGP pics, I posted them, and a brief explanation, a few posts below.

Digger

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffco8475

I'm new here but I just wanted to add some info to this thread. LGP dozers are actually heavier than XL's or standard track machines. Example, D6RLGP weighs 47,874 Lbs. a D6RXL weighs 44,270. And the ground pressure for a D6RLGP with a 36" shoe is 5.15PSI. The U/C is the same build as the other style track machines, this is why LGP U/C's wear out much faster than standard track dozers. Jeff.

Wulf

I'm new here but I just wanted to add some info to this thread. LGP dozers are actually heavier than XL's or standard track machines. Example, D6RLGP weighs 47,874 Lbs. a D6RXL weighs 44,270. And the ground pressure for a D6RLGP with a 36" shoe is 5.15PSI. The U/C is the same build as the other style track machines, this is why LGP U/C's wear out much faster than standard track dozers. Jeff.

Jeff,
Correct me if I'm wrong but the LGP gauge is wider (so final drives and frames stick out further) and the length of track on the ground is greater (longer frames and more track shoes) therefore the dozer is a bit heavier but ground pressure is reduced a great deal.

And the D8T in the first few shots has rigid mounted track rollers... D8R has bogie track rollers

Last edited:

jmac

Just a small point about LGP machines, great for tracking in your work. I used a friends Komatsu D39 LGP last summer and was great for packing down gravel. Not as good as a roller but worked for me for getting every thing flat.

Blademan

Charter Member
Occupation
Operating Engineer
I first saw the D8T LGP in a article put out by the local Cat dealer , Finning . Very interesting read , especially as this new T was also modded with a roof mounted Rads and breathers for work in the settlement ponds of Syncrude in the oil sands of Fort McMurray . Not sure if we have that particular magazine around somewhere , but if I find it I'll try and post some pictures . The magazine is called Tracks and Treads , and I think it was the summer 2005 edition if anyone else has a copy laying around .

Good find :thumbsup

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
those first pictures by quad were taken at a port. quad lives in europe and does a lot of picture posting on the ACMOC BB. there was about 20 pictures of that machine and where it was going.

thansk

Scott_527

Hey I got those D8T pictures from Finning.

Attachments

• D8T-LGP.jpg
    D8T-LGP.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 3,908
  • D8t-3.jpg
    D8t-3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,952

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
i.m talking about the ones with QUAD signed in the corner. that is what the fellow marks his pictures with. thos pictures you have just posted are working in salt water. i have seen them before too.

thansk

Blademan

Charter Member
Occupation
Operating Engineer
i.m talking about the ones with QUAD signed in the corner. that is what the fellow marks his pictures with. thos pictures you have just posted are working in salt water. i have seen them before too.

thansk

The photos just above us ( Thanks for that too Scott_527 :notworthy :thumbsup ) that's Syncrudes Tailings pond . I forgot how kewl , almost spacey , that D8T looked with all the stuff on the canopy .

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
also a couple of years ago they had a cat sink and it was a good picture show on getting it out.
those are air filters on top if i remember right????

thansk

Scott_527

Yeah it's a pretty cool looking rig. One of the guys on here from alberta posted pics of the sunk tailings dozer. Maybe he has pictures of getting it unstuck? I'd like to see them if anyone has them.

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
yes it was really stuck, maybe post it under the topic of WET CAT.

i'll see if i can find QUAD. he has lots of info on cats because he lives near a port and sees them being loaded and unloaded.

thansk

Wulf

also a couple of years ago they had a cat sink and it was a good picture show on getting it out.
those are air filters on top if i remember right????

thansk

The main radiator and all of the coolers/heat exchangers are mounted on the roof and are cooled by electric motor driven fans.