• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota KX033-4 Reviews Please

Tyrell12

Hello, I’m looking at buying a Kubota KX033-4, from a local dealer who I know.

Dealer support is important as we all know, but for those of you who have used one - what do you like about the KX033-4 and what don’t you like?

Thanks !!!!

MG84

I have a Kubota U35-4 (reduced tail swing) which is basically the same machine as a KX033 except on a larger undercarriage. I really like mine, as with most Kubota excavators the controls are smooth as butter. Digging power is very good for its size and seems to run forever on a tank of fuel. Honestly can't say much bad about it, I'd buy the exact same model again if I needed to.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I've got a KX033-4 for about 2 years now. Bought it specifically to cleanup up an old farm junk pile out of a creek. But it's been so useful, I've kept it to do other odd jobs around the property - digging up tree stumps, digging electrical trench, regrading driveway.
It's my first excavator, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I've been extremely happy with it so far. And it's done everything I've needed and is great on fuel.

Allan M

Occupation
Semi-retired: Strategic planner/author
I have a slightly larger Kubota U55-4 (12.5k lbs). My only complaint is the offset foot controls. I'm 6'2" tall and I'm glad I don't make a living driving this machine because the foot position isn't comfortable for me. I never drive it more than 2 hours or so at a time...so no big deal. I love the Kubota power and controls overall. I've tried a Takeuchi of similar size and the foot controls seemed better positioned. Recently had a mechanic go through my machine for a 3000k service. No issues. It seems very bullet proof and I'm working rocky soil and steep terrain. Kubota also makes their own engines here in Illinois.

materthegreater

I have a Kubota U35-4 (reduced tail swing) which is basically the same machine as a KX033 except on a larger undercarriage. I really like mine, as with most Kubota excavators the controls are smooth as butter. Digging power is very good for its size and seems to run forever on a tank of fuel. Honestly can't say much bad about it, I'd buy the exact same model again if I needed to.
Funny, I was running a 2012 U35 recently and couldn't get over how jerky it was compared to my older Bobcat and other machines I've run. I can't remember which dash number it was but one thing I've noticed about Kubotas is the control levers seem to have a much shorter throw than other machines. And I agree with Allan, the foot controls are much too cramped.

MG84

Funny, I was running a 2012 U35 recently and couldn't get over how jerky it was compared to my older Bobcat and other machines I've run. I can't remember which dash number it was but one thing I've noticed about Kubotas is the control levers seem to have a much shorter throw than other machines. And I agree with Allan, the foot controls are much too cramped.
IDK, mine is a 2020 model and it’s smooth as glass. The other models I frequently run are kx040-4’s and used to run kx121-3’s, all had very
similar feel to the controls. Only Bobcat machines I’ve run were an E32i and E42i, can’t remember the controls being particularly good or bad, so they must have been ok. Maybe its just what you get used to.

materthegreater

IDK, mine is a 2020 model and it’s smooth as glass. The other models I frequently run are kx040-4’s and used to run kx121-3’s, all had very
similar feel to the controls. Only Bobcat machines I’ve run were an E32i and E42i, can’t remember the controls being particularly good or bad, so they must have been ok. Maybe its just what you get used to.

It's probably just me. My wife says I'm a jerk, so I guess I'm just living up to it

BC Placer gold

We bought a Kubota KX-040-4 new in 2017 and put 700 hours on it before selling in 2021. For its size it had excellent hydraulic power; I found the controls smooth as well as very quick.

This machine primarily sat on an elevated pad feeding a double screen deck wash plant at 25 yards per hour (1/4 yard 42” c/u bucket).

We have a 21 ton excavator for digging pay/ tailings etc. so the smaller machine was never really worked hard. The problem we encountered in this relatively light duty application was building enough heat for proper dpf operation. By the time we sold the machine Re-gens had dropped from around every 25h to as low as 8h…the machine was always ran at full throttle; minimal idling time….I did use the idle down feature. We are now using a 2011 Deere 50d (pre-emissions). This machine is more suited to our remote mining operation. Although it has very smooth hydraulics, cycle times seem slow in comparison to the Kubota!

This probably wouldn’t be an issue for someone using the machine in a more typical application. In the case of the KX-033 this would be a non issue as it is under the threshold for emissions.