• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kamatsu D21P-6 hard to start

Jerell

I have to spin the starter for a minute or more before it will start in warm weather. Have to use ether when it is cool. The glow plug indicator on the dash does not get red when holding the key to the left. any suggestions as to what my problem is?

mitch504

A very common cause of this problem is the glow plug indicator itself. It is wired in series with the plugs, and frequently burns out. If not, get a test light and chase the glow plug circuit from the key switch to the plugs. It is a very simple circuit.

Jerell

A very common cause of this problem is the glow plug indicator itself. It is wired in series with the plugs, and frequently burns out. If not, get a test light and chase the glow plug circuit from the key switch to the plugs. It is a very simple circuit.

Thanks Mitch504. Illcheck that out. If the indicator is bad where can I get one?

mitch504

From the Komatsu dealer, and you can look online for heavy equip parts, they used them on a lot of machines, and I THINK most of them are the same.