• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310D Backhoe reverser oil

Buckslayer9000

So my brother has a John Deere 310D Backhoe. PIN T0310DG811898. The other day he found a hose hanging from the bottom of it(Transmission oil), he found were it was suppose to go and reconnected it. He check the oil and filled the transmission to the correct level. Then he checked the reverser oil (While its running) and it was not on the dip stick. He started adding oil (he was unaware of the required amount), next thing he knew the oil was coming out of the dipstick for the transmission. The oil was still not on the dipstick for the reverser. Not sure where to go from there. How could the reverser oil get into the other section of the transmission? Could he have possibly connected the hose to the wrong location some how? He said he checked the oil a few days later and it some how had back filled into the reverser reservoir. It apparently drives fine in both directions. He did not drive alot with the worry of damaging something.

Deon

Show him this picture. Maybe it will help.
The reverser oil and the transmission oil are not connected to my knowledge. The reverser oil should be checked with engine on in park and transmission oil checked with engine off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Plongson

I do not want to hyjack the thread, but in simple terms, what is a reverser? I've heard of them but have no concept of what the application is. I have a 2004 JD 210LE...is my hydraulic trans called a "Reverser"?

Buckslayer9000

Thanks, I think I have figured it out though. Lack of information hid the problem. Some where in the mix he had the oil cooler boiled down and I am pretty sure that he did not reconnect the lines correctly. I think that is how the oil is getting from the reverser reservoir to the transmission. They both go through the cooler if I am not mistaken.

Not sure exactly what the reverser is, but I think it has something to do with the torque converter. I think it actually reverses the rotatingof the transmission at a reduced rate. Like I said, not 100% sure. I do know that the reverser reservoir is 8 qts and you only can drain 4 because the other 4 qts are in the torque converter.

Deon

A reverser fits between the torque converter and the transmission. When you work the Forward Neutral Reverse lever, you are working the reverser. Sometimes referred to as a Shuttle. The transmission is only used as a gear ratio selector and is not responsible for changing direction of travel.

Last edited:

Richard5678

JD 210 C reverser/shuttle shift

She won't move forward but reverse works fine and the electric clutch works in reverse . Changed fluid and clean filter.
What next?

Utopiaar

She won't move forward but reverse works fine and the electric clutch works in reverse . Changed fluid and clean filter.
What next?
What

What next?
what did you figure out I have a JD 310d doing exact same thing.

Richie0

Hi Joe and others, has anybody replaced their forward clutch pack? I think i am having the same issue, forward is really weak and the machine doesn't have much push but in reverse it seems to be fine. Thanks.