• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD672GP vs JD770D

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Last Spring I had the pleasure of running a Demo JD672GP. I ran it for about 30 hours doing gravel road maintenance. I took lots of pictures and will try to most several, along with my personal opinions as always.

I should start with some clarity about the G model versus GP model. G model is standard lever rack design and steering wheel. GP model gets you arm rest controls plus a variety of electronic gadgetry for those that need/use that equipment. It also has a blade leveling ability which when set to a selected grade level allows you to maintain that grade with the operation of the right blade lift controller only. The left side automatically adjusts to maintain the preselected grade. Might be very useful in the construction world but was of no value to me. Don't quote me but I believe the salesman said it's a $17K option for the basic package.

There is a lot of difference in the design of the front main frame. Deere followed Cat's lead and raised the main beam to a more horizontal design. That change had the same effect as it had on the Cat M models. It killed forward visibility. Deere gained no blade movement or lift height with this design change, not sure about Cat.

In the D model you can see the ground 22 feet ahead of the machine. In the G model this distance stretches to 48 feet. That's a huge deal to me.

Attachments

• DSC00660.jpg
    DSC00660.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,012
  • DSC00661.jpg
    DSC00661.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • DSC00662.jpg
    DSC00662.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,012
  • DSC00675.jpg
    DSC00675.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,007
  • DSC00690.jpg
    DSC00690.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,005
Last edited:

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
The cab design is the same with both models. A change was made in the forward display and some minor changes made in the right side console. Otherwise cab dimensions are the same. The outside mirror design changed with the G model being narrow and tall where the D is more square. I didn't like the G mirrors nearly as well, gave me little horizontal vision and I had to lean forward or back to see left or right in the mirror. Small annoyance. I hear a lot about the cab being quieter but I didn't get that feeling. The engine noise is less with the G model but that's attributed to added insulation around the engine and a different engine design. No insulation was added to the cab.

Attachments

• DSC00689.jpg
    DSC00689.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • DSC00696.jpg
    DSC00696.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 990
  • DSC00684.jpg
    DSC00684.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,008
  • DSC00694.jpg
    DSC00694.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 998

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
The biggest improvement with the G design is serviceability. Easier access to engine compartment with bigger doors. Radiators all swing open for easy cleaning on the G. Converted to an electronic programmable reversible fan. Located all filters in easy access areas. Fuel fill on the G is at left rear corner ground level with the tank located under the radiators and protected by skid plates. The D has fuel fill on top of engine compartment with tank mounted high between engine and radiator. Lot's of improvement in this area.

Attachments

• DSC00670.jpg
    DSC00670.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,012
  • DSC00667.jpg
    DSC00667.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 991
  • DSC00664.jpg
    DSC00664.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 986
  • DSC00669.jpg
    DSC00669.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 997
  • DSC00671.jpg
    DSC00671.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 996

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
The main frame design change doesn't appear to have gained anything. The blades have similar lift heights. The table doesn't move any further in any direction. The blade seems to be similarly located under the machine with no difference in visibility of the blade or balance. The lift cylinders stand at a different angle but I noticed no effect on blade control.

Attachments

• DSC00704.jpg
    DSC00704.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 990
  • DSC00703.jpg
    DSC00703.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 979
  • DSC00705.jpg
    DSC00705.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 996
  • DSC00663.jpg
    DSC00663.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 999
  • DSC00674.jpg
    DSC00674.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 984

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
The G model uses a different system on the blade slide. JD says it's improved with easier adjustment and longer bushing life. It might be easier to make minor adjustments but doesn't appear to be any more durable. JD has suffered in this area for a long time. They wear out the slide bushings quickly. JD offers an extended use version that's supposed to last longer but that hasn't proved itself to me. This is a weakness that they haven't fixed.

Attachments

• DSC00701.jpg
    DSC00701.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 992
  • DSC00702.jpg
    DSC00702.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 988

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
As for the GP controls. The first day in the machine I would sometimes get confused and have to use the steering wheel to correct a situation. I also used the steering wheel turning around. The first couple hours I was using the steering wheel every few minutes. After 6-8 hours I could make a long run without touching the wheel. I never had problems driving down the highway with the controls and always used them when transporting.

I should clarify, I am a one hand control operator. I've ran JD machines for twenty years and always had mine set up with both blade lift levers in my right palm. Because of that history I struggled with the arm rest controls which put the blade lift levers at each outer lever as in a standard rack system. I've never understood the theory that blade lift levers should be on opposite ends of the controls. In my opinion that's a stupid design that should have been thrown out long ago. Cat even stuck with that concept with their Joysticks for no logical reason.

I could not run the left hand arm rest levers on the GP without having to pick up my hand and relocate. JD claims these levers can all be ran with only finger movement but I didn't find that to be true. It's my opinion that JD missed the mark on this design. I prefer the Cat Joystick version. The only thing I could do better with the JD design was steer. I found the steering system to be very good and I could immediately steer in a straight line.

I thought at first the hydraulics were a lot faster on the GP. Then I realized that it's an electronic over hydraulic design. When a lever is moved it electronically opens the hydraulic valve to it's maximum capacity. There's no subtle hydraulic movement like can be achieved with a mechanical lever. I struggled with that a little in the beginning but soon adjusted myself.

I really liked the seat and arm rest design in the GP. JD got this part right. Lot more comfortable than the Cat M with better adjustment choices. The arm rests move with the chair so sliding the seat forward or backward had no effect on location of the controls, they move with you. The arm rests can also be slid for and aft from the chair to allow for arm length. They can also be raised or lowered as well as tilted forward or rearward. Very comfortable setup that left me with no ill effects after sitting in it all day. I enjoyed that part. Kudos to JD there. Cat should take notes.

Attachments

• DSC00681.jpg
    DSC00681.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 984
  • DSC00683.jpg
    DSC00683.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 970
  • DSC00682.jpg
    DSC00682.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 982
  • DSC00676.jpg
    DSC00676.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 987
  • DSC00677.jpg
    DSC00677.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 981

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
My township keeps a low hour machine. They trade every four years. Unless something drastic happens in the price area we will trade for a G model and not the GP model. For our use the machine doesn't offer anything in the GP model to justify the $17K. We do road maintenance. The GP controls won't make the machine more effective in our use. It won't pay back any money with better efficiency so is hard to justify. Irregardless of personal preferences, it's simply not the best spending of taxpayers money for us.

Also understand I compared the JD672GP to a JD770D. With that said, the 600 series G is gutless. If you have the blade loaded, pushing in 3rd or 4th and engage the AWD you immediately drop a transmission gear. Or if pushing a loaded blade up a hill in 4th you are looking for 3rd. I normally make the first two passes at 7 mph using 5th gear, 1500 rpm with the 770 and the final pass at 14 mph in 6th. The 672 didn't like that at all. It needed the rpms so I ran wide open throttle in 4th and finished in 6th on flat ground and/or 5th and sometimes 4th in hills.

Also understand that my 770 is on 17.5" tires and the 672 is on 14" tires. The traction difference is huge. Same with machine stability. Just sits on the ground better with the wider tires.

I didn't use the AWD very often. I tried to use it for traction when grading in hills rather than locking the rear diff but didn't like the speed drop due to no guts. I did use it cleaning out a couple ditches since it was very muddy when I ran the machine.

There are some little changes on the G model that are nice to have items. The serviceability gain is worthy. Otherwise I just didn't see much improvement. I'm not saying the G/GP machines are good machines. I'm just saying they are following the D model which is an exceptional machine.

Attachments

• DSC00711.jpg
    DSC00711.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,012
  • DSC00709.jpg
    DSC00709.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 985
  • DSC00706.jpg
    DSC00706.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 978

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Interesting -- thanks.

Out of curiosity, does it really matter if you can't see the ground in front of the main frame? My perception would have been that it's not a huge visibility block (only, what, ten inches across?), but I'm also not a blade hand. Just asking because I'm not knowledgable on the real-world application of this.

michael james

Occupation
36 years working for a council, last 12 as a grade
Hi OVRSZD,
A lot of interesting info on the new Deere G series grader, good stuff to read. Just wondering on the comment about the 600 series being gutless, I presume you are comparing it to the larger machine? What is your opinion of the 672GP, or a 670G, power wise compared to the 670D or a similar sized machine of a different brand? I learn't to operate a grader on a 670B ages ago. Spent some time on a cat 12 G and currently on a Komatsu. Getting a new grader in 12 months, so am hungry for lots of information.
Cheers, Mick.

Grader4me

Interesting -- thanks.

Out of curiosity, does it really matter if you can't see the ground in front of the main frame? My perception would have been that it's not a huge visibility block (only, what, ten inches across?), but I'm also not a blade hand. Just asking because I'm not knowledgable on the real-world application of this.

When doing road maintainence, ditching, leveling gravel, spreading asphalt or whatever, seeing the road ahead is very important. Looking at the pictures there is quite a difference between the two graders on the site distance in front of the machines. I like to see what is directly in front of the machine for various reasons. Although its only 10 inches or so across it would make a difference.

Great write up!

graderkev

nice pics and wright up we just ordered two 670g last week here that county i work for I will be running one the machines we went to dogecity yesterday to a demo and was able to run both g&gp machines loved them both. Was most impressed with servicabilty on the machines will actually be looking forward to changing oil! Machines are supposed to be here in september can't wait should be a big improvement over my current 720b volvo!

CAT140H

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
We don't have a JD G series Grader but others who do are saying it is hard on fuel. If you run a G series Grader please let us know how the fuel consumption is.
Nice pictures.
The G series is a nice looking machine.
I like the high frame design it makes it look like a grader now. Even the Cat M went to the low frame in front and they spoiled the look.
Thanks

Last edited:

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Interesting -- thanks.

Operators tend to develop personal habits as to what they watch as they run. I look at the roadbed ahead of me. I like to be able to see my front tires also. I don't spend a lot of time watching the ground behind my blade. I figure that's too late. I watch the approaching roadbed, feel the blade, watch the tailings coming off the end of the blade and use the mirrors to see the effect. The loss of forward visibility is a huge deal to me. Especially pushing snow. For a construction operator that is finishing grade or using an electronic system he might not miss forward visibility as much. Or for an operator that spends his day staring at the blade it might not be a big deal.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
You are a very Lucky Man!

I am truly Blessed. I do Grader work as a part time job. My primary business is Army. I'm retiring from the Army next year with 40 years service. I look forward to spending more time relaxing in a Grader.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Hi OVRSZD,
A lot of interesting info on the new Deere G series grader, good stuff to read. Just wondering on the comment about the 600 series being gutless, I presume you are comparing it to the larger machine? What is your opinion of the 672GP, or a 670G, power wise compared to the 670D or a similar sized machine of a different brand? I learn't to operate a grader on a 670B ages ago. Spent some time on a cat 12 G and currently on a Komatsu. Getting a new grader in 12 months, so am hungry for lots of information.
Cheers, Mick.

Opinions are always based on a person's background. I made my comments about the 672GP based on my experiences in the 770D.

On paper they don't appear to be very far apart as to HP and Torque claims. But in reality, there's no comparison. The 770D will pull down a few hundred rpms and continue to develp productive HP, the 672GP won't. As soon as the rpms start dropping it loses productivity and if not careful you will find yourself operating at too low rpm. All of this said without the AWD engaged. Flip that switch and the 600 series lack of power leaps out at you.

I started on a 670B, then 770BH, 770CH, 770D and this 672G. I think Deere has improved their HP and torque numbers with every model change. I don't think I would be making negative comments about the HP and torque of a 772GP. The 600 and 700 series Deere machines are the same basic chassis with only a slightly larger powertrain.

The only other brand machine I can compare to would be a Cat 140M. I found it gutless as well. Keep the rpms at the governor and it's fine, it just won't pull as well as the old 140H or a 700 series Deere. In my experiences I think the 600 series Deere is a better comparison to the 140 series Cat.

I'm a country guy. I drive a Ford Super Duty with 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. My Son drives a Super Duty with a 5.4L gas engine. In my opinion his truck is gutless. Nice useable truck, but gutless. I find the 600 series Deere and 140M Cat to be the same, nice machines, just gutless.

In my world it's not a big deal doing summer maintenance. It'll just take you a little longer to do the same work. Hook the snow plow on the front and it's a huge deal.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We don't have a JD G series Grader but others who do are saying it is hard on fuel. If you run a G series Grader please let us know how the fuel consumption is.
Nice pictures.
The G series is a nice looking machine.
I like the high frame design it makes it look like a grader now. Even the Cat M went to the low frame in front and they spoiled the look.
Thanks

I think Deere machines are harder on fuel than Cat. I can cut my fuel consumption by 30% running in 5th gear at 1500 rpm versus 4th gear at 2180 rpm. That's why I run that way doing my first two passes. I don't loose any productivity and save operating costs.

I had the privilege to do a comparison of the Cat M to my Deere a couple years ago. I found the forward visibility to be worse in the Cat than the G Deere. Cat also uses a high frame design.

I could care less what the machine looks like when standing outside. It's a piece of construction equipment and I only look at it with productivity in mind. I care what it looks like when sitting in the seat looking out.

Here's a couple pics of a 140M.

Attachments

• DSC02091.jpg
    DSC02091.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 589
  • DSC02195.jpg
    DSC02195.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 599
  • DSC02293.jpg
    DSC02293.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 597

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Here's a couple more. Cat claimed to have gained blade height with their frame design change. And they might have because I didn't think to do a comparison with the Cat 140H that was traded in for this new M model. But if they gained, all they did was catch up to Deere.

Attachments

• DSC02224.jpg
    DSC02224.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 585
  • DSC02225.jpg
    DSC02225.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 597

len740

Occupation
equipment operator
hey guys just my opinion ,i run a 870g .i find there is lots of low end grunt as well as lots of power in the top gears when plowing.snow in winter.and i plow in 8th gear as much as i can on a 60 km run