• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Tank leaking on dump truck

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
The system has a ball shut off valve on the bottom part of the tank, and then the housing for the spin on filter. I assume the system is designed to shut off the fluid in the tank to make it easier to just change the filter without draining everything. The other line goes to the top side of the tank as seen in the image of the new tank I posted above..

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Yes, it's a suction filter. So can anyone tell me if the Baldwin BT287 will work in this application? If not, any other filter to suggest?

skyking1

Your question is best directed at the guys who sell the filters. They will know what the application is. If you got it at Williams oil filter they should know.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Ok, the project is completed. Thank you everyone for all your help. FYI, the custom tank came from Metal Tanks by Propower. I was able to give them dimensions and other design features and they did an excellent job. Only concern was the shipping via pallet was way too much.

Attachments

• Old tank with leak on bottom.jpg
    Old tank with leak on bottom.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 25
  • new tank.jpg
    new tank.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Hydraulic suction filter.jpg
    Hydraulic suction filter.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 25

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
That's a nice replacement tank. With the tank ends larger than the body some protection is afforded rather than just a straight butt weld at a corner. I've seen several tanks blow out from sloshing oil after several years of use and this will preclude that.

Shipping most anything via truck is expensive. Fuel cost, surcharges, etc. really add up quickly.

cfherrman

I'm not a fan of that long assembly sticking out on the suction, a rock or debris of some sort might get some leverage and break something, if the last tank was like that then it should be fine.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Yeah the tank shut off handle, and spin on filter was in that position on the old tank at least for the last ten years since I have owned the truck. I have been worried about rocks from the tires hitting the return hose, and chafing below and damage. However, the hoses seem to be in good condition. I might add some hose wrap chafe material.