• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Couplers

antyK

Help.

I'm working on 1970 Case580CK and trying to stop the quick disconnects for the hydraulic lines from leaking.

The female hydraulic connector has part number D31978 described as a double o ring and its backup retaining ring.

Case wants $85 for the little o ring and its plastic clip.

Does anyone know of another o ring that will fit these couplings? Or some way to jury rig? Is there another supplier. perhaps a hydralic line company?

$85 for an o ring? I was told that restoring this old beast was going to be a money pit, but that's just crazy. It's an o ring!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

clay digger

Occupation
Farmer
On ag couplers, there is the little plastic retainer and a regular o ring. We buy them at the local John Deere shop or industrial supply places and they are not very expensive. They get wrecked with some regularity and $2 is cheap compared to oil. Use a pick to take them out and take them to a supply place and see what they say.

tcsalvage

for the o-rings and seals call allegheny york @1-717-266-6617. for the fittings get them from parker hydraulics they are all over the U.S.

antyK

thanks for your suggestions. allegheny york remembers them from years ago, but have nothing now, and I've talked to ag suppliers with no luck.

the rings I am looking for have an ID of @23 mm, a cross section of @3 mm and a height of @6 mm.

Has anyone tried to use 2 "o" rings side by side?

Or tried to use a quad ring?

antyK

Just in case anyone encounters leaky couplers, here's the results of my adventures in rebuilding the coupler on the 580.

Instead of buying the aforementioned $85 factory double o ring I ordered a bunch of regular o rings from allegheny york (the people there were very helpful). No one had double o rings.

After trying a bunch of different sizes i used two o rings (23mm with 3.5 mm cross sections) side by side with no back-up ring. The hoses fit very tightly together, but they are not leaking. temporary fix found for less than $20 bucks! Now I can move on to actually getting the 580 to move and dig.

And the most important piece of information - don't bother with the double o rings or rebuilding the couplers.

You can buy brand a new universal replacement hydraulic coupler for around $60 that's less than the price of the double o ring rebuild kit.

I'll be buying new couplers once the machine is running.

Thanks again for you help.