• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX60 track motor leak?

ROB1N

Hi all great site well here goes I have just removed the travel drive from an hitachi ex60-2 and striped the drive motor down but I'm having trouble removing the knock pin any advice would be great cheers

camdeck

i had to drill my lock pin then tapped it and pulled it with a slide hammer, one side i just drilled completely out, new pins for a john deere 70D are the same as a 60urg, they dont pushback

Occupation
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
20140821_211716.jpg20140822_181421.jpg
Here are a few pictures of the one I just finished this past week. The D-rings on the piston is going to be your likely cause if your having overfilling issues in the planetary, as they are completely shot.This may also result in your duo cone to blow out or in my case just be worn. The life of those duo cone seals is decreased if the gap between the planetary housing and drum is worn, which allows packing of material.

ROB1N

Cheers my o-rings are in similar condition I tried knocking the pin in but it won't move I did think about tapping it but I though I would ask on here cheers guys that s what I will do .
Can anybody recommend an uk suppliers of parts cheers

camdeck

john deere excavators are made by hitachi, my 60urg is a deere 70D with a diff. engine, I buy all my parts thru deere, I would start there

Cheers my o-rings are in similar condition I tried knocking the pin in but it won't move I did think about tapping it but I though I would ask on here cheers guys that s what I will do .

Occupation
The knock pin should come out without to much hesitation. A nice size drift and a 4 pound hammer should do the trick.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic

Hi There, i have most those parts available if need!

Aiden

LJMXUK

Occupation
Motocross practice track owner
Hi, Whilst operating my EX60URG the other day I started smelling gear oil. I noticed that the oil was poring out from the back of the sprocket. I continued to operate for another 15 minutes to park the machine. The oil continued to come out & each time I stopped there was a puddle left behind. Is it possible for the motor seals to go & the gear oil to leak out of the reduction hub? There seemed to be way more than 2.5 litres come out & the hydraulic tank is now only half full. I am guessing that the hydraulic oil is leaking but can't understand why the gear oil was leaking at first? Any help much appreciated.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi there, your track brake seals are gone! not sure about the gear oil smell, but if your tank is getting low and its leaking from there then i would be sure its the brake seals! I have them on the shelf if needed!

Aiden

LJMXUK

Occupation
Hi there, your track brake seals are gone! not sure about the gear oil smell, but if your tank is getting low and its leaking from there then i would be sure its the brake seals! I have them on the shelf if needed!

Aiden

The smell was gear oil. If the brake seal was leaking would this also cause the gear oil to leak?

lantraxco

Yup, pressurizes the gear housing forcing the gear oil out past the floating seal, path of least resistance. After a while it's mostly hydraulic oil but the smell lasts a long time. After replacing the brake seals you will need to at least drain the gear housing, fill with gear oil and IF the floating seal heals itself up change the oil again after a few hours of travelling to get most of the remaining thin hyd oil out of the gear hub.

Best choice would be to tear down and inspect the planetary side, replacing the floating seal, but I'm lazy and will sometimes hope for the best, lol.

LJMXUK

Occupation
Hi Aiden, how much are the parts I need & how do I go about ordering them?

AntonioRocha

My Kubota KX251 busted the inside oil seal, that holds the hydraulic from the gear oil, the pressure was so high inside the planetarys that the outside cover came out. Today found a new oil seal, attention that is need to be a high preassure seal, not a regular one, I will fit new bearings, a couple of orings and that´s as good as new. Kubota dealer asked me for 5000 euros (more than 6000USD) for the complete final drive... Of course you can find chinese units for 1500usd...

robert235

I am repairing the same motor and have some questions.

How does the pin come out that locks the ring in place. I tried to hammer it down, then I drilled a small hole in it. i think I have to unscrew the ring to remove the side load that may be binding the pin.
What do i torque do i put on the ring when reinstalling.
And what kind of tool do i need to unscrew the ring.

20150710_164344.jpg

Occupation
The pin should go clean through...you shouldnt have to drill or do anything fancy. Just drives out. If you dont have exoerince installing the duo cone seals you should seek help. But the nut is torqued to 360 ft. lbs and you need to either fabricate a tool that spans across the holes drill a piece of plate weld roundbar to it and a big nut. You should also think of a a way to secure it when you go to torque. Tricky if you have no prior experience.