• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi crane mode

IceHole

What does "crane mode" do on a Hitachi excavator?
Not sure what other machines have it, but my ZX40-3 does.

Only thing I can tell is it makes an amber strobe come on.
Has a bubble level off the armrest, I'd guess for crane work??
Has a built in hook off the H link.

The info I can find is there's working mode and crane mode, but nothing on what each do.

It has pilot valves on all the cylinders, I'd guess for lifting? Has a bunch of lift cert stickers in Japanese but most came off when I washed it. (Stickers an owner put on, not OEM)

Also has a 2nd key that goes in a switch that seems to do nothing. Not sure if related.

Bullitt

Occupation
Manitou / Gehl & Yanmar Tech, Rental Monkey
I hope someone that really knows answers I curious as well. As far as I can tell it uses boom cylinder pressure to set and alarm before the machine potentially becomes unbalanced. The lack of its purpose in the manual is kind of baffling.

JaredV

On Cat machines it slows things down to make movements smoother and more precise.

skyking1

I ran a cat that turned off the swing brake so you could smotthly move and counterswing to a stop. that was pretty sweet with a heavy load. None of that notchy bump.

JaredV

I think so. It's been a couple years since I last used it but I know it is nice to have for setting precast bridge deck panels. I don't remember if it turned the swing brake off, too, but it probably did. I do know it made the job easier for the operator.