• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help Me Find A Door For My 14E

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I talked to tractor parts last month and although their online parts said they had a door the parts woman said that database is 10 or 12 years old and they use a totaly different system. They have'nt had a 14 for a long time. My NC CAT dealer in Alaska finds me parts but no luck on this door. Finning also no luck. Florin in Sacramento has lots of parts, I got some light brackets and seals from them.

It seems they would update every now and then.Think it would help their sales.Gripes me to see the parts I need then call hear them say sold that years ago.

Mud duck

It was a power shift.let me know when you're coming through the area if you are interested in that blade. By the way, my dad (who I bought the blade from) used to work on the north slope too. I don't know if heran one of these up there, he did tell me about the 16 g's, that's a big blade I'd love to play with.

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
New Door & Many Other Parts

We fabricated a new door that fits really good & tight.Fixed several leaks and put new Bridgestones on. I'm very happy the way it's coming together.
It's kind of sloppy in blade of course but have installed some shims and will replace more parts in the spring.:D

Attachments

• Keith 001.jpg
    Keith 001.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 488

1970Cat16

Could you post a closer picture of the door?? Really looks sharp to me, what did you make it out of and where did you get the glass and handles lock mech etc, looks sharp and nice tires, i just today got 2 18x25 tires i ordered weeks ago and am still looking for 4 more, tires are a pain in the rear nowdays for sure, will you build up the balls with BU 90 to get them back to specs?? My 16 needs some build up or to find a source of the replament balls and arc gouge them out and weld new ones in, hate to price them to to tell the truth, everything is nla or too high seems like on my blade these days, thanks for the pictures, we had a 14e direct drive but it did not have that rops on it like your does, nice!!!!!

Cletus

Occupation
Could you post a closer picture of the door?? Really looks sharp to me, what did you make it out of and where did you get the glass and handles lock mech etc, looks sharp and nice tires, i just today got 2 18x25 tires i ordered weeks ago and am still looking for 4 more, tires are a pain in the rear nowdays for sure, will you build up the balls with BU 90 to get them back to specs?? My 16 needs some build up or to find a source of the replament balls and arc gouge them out and weld new ones in, hate to price them to to tell the truth, everything is nla or too high seems like on my blade these days, thanks for the pictures, we had a 14e direct drive but it did not have that rops on it like your does, nice!!!!!
I have to resize the close up pics of the door. I'm having trouble with that.
The door is aluminum and the glass was installed by my local glass shop for $300.
My CAT dealer had the handle and latch.
I lucked out with the tires. The city bought a new 140M and put Michelin Snow Grippers on and so I got these below cost.13X24 are more common than your tires. I have a friend with a loader with 18X25's and had a devil of a time finding one.
I also need advice on the ball replacement. I will use Florin Tractor Parts in Sacramento CA if they have the balls and other parts.
I'll tackle that in the spring.
I've been watching your posts with interest,good luck!

Silveroddo

I'm in the process of doing the same thing for the first time (brakes) ,that looks like the rig to have, what kind of power does it take to get them to seperate? I made a press but 20 tons didnt budge it, do you think 50 would be enough or is it worse than that? Might have to get the cat mechanic out with that tool.......

Cletus

Occupation
Well I'm having trouble getting the wheels off!My gauge says I'm pulling 100 tons but we decided the packing in the cylinder is screwed up. The cylinder is at the hydraulic shop getting repaired. We pulled on all four wheels with no luck. Two rose buds heating the hub and a 90 lb jack hammer rattling and no luck. The puller and power pack is cat, Service manual spec is 30 tons when pushing them back on. Keep me posted on your progress.

Silveroddo

Finally got one off yesterday, the blade I'm working on is a 720 champion. I tried the rose bud thing but after measuring heat on the spindle and the drum with a heat gun it seemed that the better metal of the spindle absorbed heat and held it longer than the cast material of the drum. What I did was ordered bolts long enough from fastenal to get a 20 ton jack behind a plate that I made. I finally tried a different jack yesterday and was able to max it out, then hit it with a 10lb hammer about 3 times and it split. going to try the 2nd one today.

Silveroddo

Finally got one off yesterday, the blade I'm working on is a 720 champion. I tried the rose bud thing but after measuring the heat with a temp gun it seemed that the better metal of the spindle absorbed heat and held it longer than the cast material of the drum. What I did was ordered bolts long enough from fastenal to get a 20 ton jack behind a plate that I made. I finally tried a different jack yesterday and was able to max it out, then hit it with a 10lb hammer about 3 times and it split. going to try the 2nd one today. I was able to do it cold though. I did try several different methods to sheild the spindle from getting heat but it transferrred anyway.

Cletus

Occupation
That is exactly what was recommended to me by an old mechanic in Whitehorse, Yukon. I have a spindle nut coming so I can ruin it if necessary, then I will get after it with a sledge!
The 14E Cat has a counterweighted center that also absorbed the heat to fast.

Cletus

Occupation
I Finally Got the Wheels Off

I borrowed a 70 ton CAT cylinder so with my power-pak the wheels came off at just over 30 tons. I put new slave cylinders on (8) and a few new springs and lines.
I've got great brakes now!:DiPhoto Library.jpg

Cletus

Occupation
I got them from Florin Tractor Parts in Sacramento CA. They were $45 each which I thought was a good deal.

10hotrod16

Check with schaffers enterprises inc. 800-626-6046 illinois. They will have almost any part for any machine