• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello! How much work / money it is to paint it another color for Hitachi EX 120 excavator?

Legdoc

As someone that has done it I will tell you a high quality paint job is one hell of a lot of work. Painting itself is the fun part. As mentioned above it's all in the prep. The highest quality paint system on the planet will not last and certain to look like shyt with improper preparation. I did a 200 class machine as follows:
Remove bucket, boom and dipper, replaced all bushings. Remove the house and glass. Remove the electrical harness, all hydraulic lines and cap the system off.
Striped the machine to the engine and pumps. Degrease again followed by a grinder and flap disc.
I would abrasive blast 1/2 day with a I-R 185 CFM compressor rinse with hold-tite and prime. This took two days. I applied two coats of Imron on the third day. I let everything dry for three weeks (while I recovered) then reassembled with new hoses part time over the next several months.
This is so far beyond the scope of something like repair, blasting and painting a 16' bumper pull trailer.
One will have to deal with many systems such as fuel, coolant, hydraulics taking great care to avoid contamination plus electrical, glass...
I can understand your desire and admire your ambition. In a couple years I plan to blast and paint my 580M two farm tractors and several trailers assuming my health holds out and I finish my elevated bay house that I have been on for 7 years. I have the equipment to do it at my schedule as the weather permits.
I can say there is a immeasurable sense of accomplishment and pride after the job is done.

Experthead

As someone that has done it I will tell you a high quality paint job is one hell of a lot of work. Painting itself is the fun part. As mentioned above it's all in the prep. The highest quality paint system on the planet will not last and certain to look like shyt with improper preparation. I did a 200 class machine as follows:
Remove bucket, boom and dipper, replaced all bushings. Remove the house and glass. Remove the electrical harness, all hydraulic lines and cap the system off.
Striped the machine to the engine and pumps. Degrease again followed by a grinder and flap disc.
I would abrasive blast 1/2 day with a I-R 185 CFM compressor rinse with hold-tite and prime. This took two days. I applied two coats of Imron on the third day. I let everything dry for three weeks (while I recovered) then reassembled with new hoses part time over the next several months.
This is so far beyond the scope of something like repair, blasting and painting a 16' bumper pull trailer.
One will have to deal with many systems such as fuel, coolant, hydraulics taking great care to avoid contamination plus electrical, glass...
I can understand your desire and admire your ambition. In a couple years I plan to blast and paint my 580M two farm tractors and several trailers assuming my health holds out and I finish my elevated bay house that I have been on for 7 years. I have the equipment to do it at my schedule as the weather permits.
I can say there is a immeasurable sense of accomplishment and pride after the job is done.
Thank you for nice suggestion

Old Doug

They took a truck in to see what it would cost to paint the front end hood fenders and the cab. This truck is in pretty good shape. The estimate was $15000.00 seems unreal ???

Experthead

What about just to touch up the orange paint?

csthompson12

What about just to touch up the orange paint?
That's what I would do. I touch up my mini excavators from time to time. Especially the counterweight swing area and track frame. Places that get scuffed up the most. I just use a foam roller mine and roll out the paint. You can even get a set of decals to make the machine look good.

Decals