• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello! How much work / money it is to paint it another color for Hitachi EX 120 excavator?

Vetech63

Normal quality is also OK for me. I just want to estimate the cost according to my budget
I get that, but why do you want to paint it? It will be impossible to match the original OEM quality. If you are going to sell it is one thing...........if you just want a shiny new paint job to get all f&^$ed up in no time is quite another.

Experthead

I get that, but why do you want to paint it? It will be impossible to match the original OEM quality. If you are going to sell it is one thing...........if you just want a shiny new paint job to get all f&^$ed up in no time is quite another.
I want to paint it blue. I recently bought it. I just want to shine it

Lagwagon

I’ve painted 2 x 21 tonne machines and I can say I will NEVER do it again. the first one was old and greasy like you have, took 2 full days to just clean….. that is scrape and wipe off grease and pressure wash. Then more time fixing rust, sanding, more cleaning, taping, mixing paint, spraying etc… it’s an ordeal. I used top quality 2 part marine paint and that was the main cost. It cost me about $2k Aus, yours is smaller though so you can work it out in your currency. second machine I painted with 1 part pain’t. Much cheaper and quicker but nowhere near as nice or durable finish. The MAIN reason I’ll never do it again is the exposure to the toxins in the paint. Unless you’re in a full body suit respirator you can’t avoid it. I was using the best quality mask I could get and changing it regularly but still had to sit down after I sprayed and couldn’t sleep that night. I started getting short term memory loss so visited a doctor, did blood, saliva and hair tests and they came back loaded with heavy metals, like off the scale high. I had poisoned myself. My fault, my carelessness I know. I would avoid it, a nice machine won’t make the machine pay, your operating skills will. Focus your time on them.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Buy some Dakota Shine (google it) and apply it. It wont turn it blue, but it will bring back the OEM paint. Save the rest of the money you would have spent on blue paint, for repairs.

Experthead

I’ve painted 2 x 21 tonne machines and I can say I will NEVER do it again. the first one was old and greasy like you have, took 2 full days to just clean….. that is scrape and wipe off grease and pressure wash. Then more time fixing rust, sanding, more cleaning, taping, mixing paint, spraying etc… it’s an ordeal. I used top quality 2 part marine paint and that was the main cost. It cost me about $2k Aus, yours is smaller though so you can work it out in your currency. second machine I painted with 1 part pain’t. Much cheaper and quicker but nowhere near as nice or durable finish. The MAIN reason I’ll never do it again is the exposure to the toxins in the paint. Unless you’re in a full body suit respirator you can’t avoid it. I was using the best quality mask I could get and changing it regularly but still had to sit down after I sprayed and couldn’t sleep that night. I started getting short term memory loss so visited a doctor, did blood, saliva and hair tests and they came back loaded with heavy metals, like off the scale high. I had poisoned myself. My fault, my carelessness I know. I would avoid it, a nice machine won’t make the machine pay, your operating skills will. Focus your time on them.
Thank you for your valueable points