• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grey Market Hitachi

Diggaman

I think my American 185 excavator is a Hitachi UH07 grey machine. Did Hitachi stamp model and serial #s on these old machines some place else on machine. There is a American model plate under the boom. Looks like there was a plate on inside the door. Its gone. The front idler has UH07 casted on the shaft bearing blocks.
Thanks

That is a one very interesting photo.
Might i suggest you do a Google image search on following Hitachi Model "UH081" or as it was orginally called in Japan a UH07-5.
As far as Serial No. goes there was only one place for it on Japanese Domestic Market Machines & as you have quite rightly pointed out ,it was attached to the inside of the door.
On Export Market machines S/no. was stamped in a brass plate attached between the two boom lift cylinders.
If you let me know what S/no. you have found looks like , might be able to see if it lines up with what Hitachi used.
Heres a little bit of back ground info if your interested.
These (UH081's / UH07-5's) were produced from about 1980/1981 through to about the end of 1983.
Should be powered by Hino naturally aspirated straight 6. Engine Model EL100.
Kawasaki pumps, Swing Motor & i think control valves as well.
Hitachi made their own final drives for this model excavatior as well.
Parts for these lovely old bits of gear are pretty hard to get through Hitachi , Especially track gear.

Diggaman

Thanks. It has Model 185H Serial# 185118H

Unfortunately that is nothing like what a Hitachi S/no. for a UH081 would look like.
So , now that you know what Hitachi model you now own, you should be able to find out through this wonderfull forum site a raft of usefull information if you ever end up needing to know something about it.
P.s. I think the UH07-5/UH081 was marketed in the U.S under Hitachi's Model Name UH082..

Couto782

There have been many posts here discussing "Grey Market" excavators and the availability of parts. I know some brands have many differences between the two but what kinds of experiences have others had with Hitachi? In the last 20 years of working on heavy equipment I've seen very few of these problems with Hitachi excavators until you get into the mini's. Ex120 and up appear to all be pretty much the same. Actually, I believe the EX60 and EX120-1,2&3 are all considered grey market machines because Deere had the same size machine in their lineup. The only one that I have seen with significant differences is the EX200-5. The US machine has much less electronics on it than the grey market machine. The grey market industry put a major dent in the US dealers overall profits so I'm not at all surprised when they don't want to deal with them. I use the US version manuals, along with Deere manuals to work on them, I've put Deere parts in them and I've never found one that my DR EX will not communicate with. I'm very curious what others have found. Any thoughts?
Excavator your help would be greatly appreciated if possible. I own a hitachi EX60 URG with a final drive that needs replacement. The problem I am having is finding a replacement. Hitachi made many EX60 -1,-2,-3,-4,-5 with your experience should the final drives for theses models be the same. My machine is known as a URG but does not specify -1,-2 etc. It is a grey market machine and have acquired all manuals, parts manual, and service manuals for the machine (was not easy to track down) I have contacted my local Deere Dealer and they seem to not want to be bothered and have told me they cannot get a final drive for my machine. Have found some final drives online -2,-5 models but part numbers don't seem to match up. I have also considered having the final drive - ring gears rebuilt but local Deere dealer tells me they can only get some components but not all especially the main components. EXCAVATOR please any information would be greatly appreciated. Im Stuck

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
EX60URG has the same final as a Deere 70D

I just brought in a pair of used units to run through our recon shop.
Parts are available through Deere or from user here named Uffex.

Have you taken yours apart yet?

Couto782

Thank you for your response and help. Yes I first remove the outside plate of the gear assembly on the final drive to find all my gears chewed up. Ring gear,sun gear etc. With your experience would you say it is worth rebuilding and if so could the problem be in result of something went wrong on the hydraulic portion of the final drive. I apologize for the primitive explanation on parts my experience with machines is very limited. Should I purchase a complete final drive or do you think rebuilding the one I have should be sufficient. Down time on the machine is killing me because of course it couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Couto782

I have also tried to contact HR and they told me they don't support my machine I am in trouble I have spent the last 2 days contacting everyone trying to get this figured out. I have also got the scamatic for the Deere 70D final drive and you were right they are identical. Still cant find one contacted Deere all gears are not available. I Am Screwed. CANT FIND ANYONE WHO WANTS TO REBULD IT . Has anyone ever had this situation

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
We cannot supply NEW replacement, we CAN supply Rebuilt exchange.
I sent you a private message with my direct number.
My phone has been ringing off the hook today with people looking for you. Call me!

EricLee87

Hitachi EX120-3 ECM

I am located in California in the United States and I have a Hitachi EX120-3 I have replaced the wiring harness and I need a new engine control module. Because this is a grey market machine no one here has the capability to program the ECM. is it possible to order one of these that has already been pre-programed to my machine? the following is the information for my machine:

EIN # Serial # Eqpmnt Type Make Model # Mf Yr Purch Dt InSrvc Dt Engine SN Make Eng MN Mf Yr HP Engine FN Disp

DW5J43 12V41234 Excavator Hitachi EX120-3 1994 9/16/1999 8E/JE Isuzu 4BD1-TPZ 1994 80 N/A 5.9L

I Have spoke with all the local dealers and even a bunch in Canada and I am not getting any help on this part. The Local Hitachi dealers are based through John Deere and have told me that they are not able to help me because they cannot program the ECM because it will all come up in Japanese. I am at a dead end and I really need this machine to work again all I ned is a new pre programmed ECM can anyone help me?

LTStrawn

Occupation
Oil & Gas/Equipment Technical Advisor
Hello guys, I figured I would toss in my issue on this thread since it was covering the machine I have (EX60URG). I would really like to find some books either Hitachi or the corresponding Deere. I am pretty sure that the rotation manifold needs rebuilt, which caused A/B circuit to communicate with the case drain thus blowing out the shaft seals on the motors and planentaries.

excavator

I'm not sure which thread I responded to earlier about this but the rotary manifold on an EX60 URG, EX60-1 and Deere 70D are all the same. The only difference would be whether or not you have a blade but the seals ect. will all be the same.

LTStrawn

Occupation
Oil & Gas/Equipment Technical Advisor
Thank you, I found a place (Finney Equipment &Parts) that I was able to get the parts manual from. I did read somewhere on this thread that the Deere 70's where fairly interchangeable for parts.