• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 4000 quesion

Plan B

Occupation
field technician
I have a customer who had me replace a head gasket on his tractor. So i had the head resurfaced but not magnafluxed and replaced head gasket and torqued bolts to 105 ft lbs. from inside to ends three times to make sure they were all torqued properly. Well he called today and said it was still blowing water out of the cooling system. Any ideas on what it could be ? I know it could have a crack in the head or in the block but would anything else cause it to blow water out? Im gonna go check it out later , Im thinking about checking to make sure the water pump is working properly?

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
These motors have no sleeves they are a dry block ..Prior to the replacement head gasket could you determine which hole was making combustion it to water ?? i.e. piston real clean is a sign of water in that hole ...

These blocks are known for being porous ..take the head off and fill the block with water ..clean out all cylinders and rotate the motor you should find your pin hole in one of them even if below the ring travel ..

I've made block plates for these motors 3 4 and 6 cylinders because they are known for weak castings ..A good machine shop can sleeve it back standard and problem solved ..Hope this helps and good luck..

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
Sounds like a cavitated cylinder. Pretty common with the older fords. My 555 has one right now, pulled the head and you could watch coolant run into the cylinder through the wall. It was almost snowing when I did it, put the head back on and used block sealer. I check the coolant before I use it, usually doesnt need toppping off. I'll sleeve all 3 cylinders when she needsa rebuild, runs too good to take apart right now.

Plan B

Occupation
field technician
Thats what we are thinking that the block or one of the cylinders has a pin hole or something. Thanks for the info , helps out alot!!