• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Flail mower bogging down

pccpaystub

Hi all
I have a 2005 tl130.I purchased a flail mower that requires 18 gpm and the machine delivers 20.Ran awesome for 2 years and this year hooked up and started mowing Instantly started bogging down if i move the arm up and down while the flail mower is enaged it bogs.Im waiting on a buddy to bring over a machine to test gpm.Anyone ever run into this issue?
Thank you and have a good day

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Seems like the priority valve isn't working correctly.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Without knowing what breed it is it's probably repairable. 0rings or some such. But test first so you're not guessing.

Welder Dave

How fast were lifting the boom? That would affect the flow to the mower but should be limited if you have a priority valve.

pccpaystub

Just lifted it afew inches off ground togo over a bump.The mower bogged down a good amount and I had to come to a complete stop for it to spin

Welder Dave

Is something like bailer twine wrapped around the cutter shaft? That could put extra load on the hyd's. Without a priority valve it's normal for the aux. to slow down when using an implement with a motor. If something is creating more load on the cutter shaft would make it slow to recover to normal operating speed. Flail mowers are great until you get wire, twine, cable or even hose wrapped around the cutter shaft. It can be a real pain yo remove. Also check the bearings are good and properly greased. Have known some people that didn't realize you have to grease things regularly. Not implying that is you. I'm just reminded of a guy I know who never greased his new skid steer. Seized the pins on the boom cylinders. Bucket pins and bushings were shot way before that. Just has long pins in with nothing retaining them. This is in under 1000 hours and he ran a successful auto repair business for years. I still shake my head. He has a grease gun and knows how to use it.

pccpaystub

Everything gets greased regularly (before and after using usually) no bailing wire or twine.some grass gets built up around the mower but even with that cleared it bogs down

Also I'm gonna hook it up to a trencher later this week so that will tell me if it's the machine or the attachment.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Check there isn't long grass or anything wrapped around the extreme ends of the cutter shaft. Is it hard to disconnect the hyd. motor from the mower? You should be able to turn the cutter shaft easily by hand on its own. If something is binding would be hard to tell with everything hooked up. I've had long grass wrapped tightly around the ends and had to take a screwdriver to dig it out and a knife to cut it.

pccpaystub

Spins free as a whistle.I might be able to get another machine but it's a high flow unit so I don't wanna start blowing lines

Welder Dave

You may have a pump issue. High flow shouldn't blow lines unless the pressure is too high. You need to check the flow and pressure requirements of the mower and see shat the machine puts out. On some machines you might be able to adjust the pressure and or flow. You could lower the throttle a little to reduce flow if required. Flow would control the speed of the mower but pressure is what gives it the power/torque. Reducing flow wouldn't affect the pressure very much so the mower wouldn't suffer from a lower RPM of the skid steer engine.