• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat 70ci crawler dozer

ianoz

Hi Mate , Depends weather it is a manual type or grease . We have one out in the shed , i will go out and have a look ..

ianoz

Al right , It is a manual type ,and no doubt wikk be covered in dirt and rusted up . Clean it up and spray the thread with penetrating oil . At the back of the recoil spring is 3 nuts ,one right on the spring ,don't touch it . It gives recoil spring correct tension .then there is two nuts ,Loosen the one furtherest away from the spring ,then screw the second nut out until track is at the right tension . Then tighten the lock nut . We have a book on the machine if you need any other info .

Garrie Denny

Occupation
see above
Thanks for the info,its much appreciated. If you have that book out still does it say how much of a droop etc there should be in the track ? or do you keep tightening until there is no more deflection ? thanks Garrie.

ccarmy

Occupation
equipment owner/ contractor
Hi guys I was just woundering if any one could help me with a problem that I'm having with my Kobelco excavator? It keeps blowing the #5 fuse. That fuse goes to the engine stop solinoid. I have virtually serched the whole wireing system with my multimeter and found no shorts and only one hot ground in the ignition switch itself, could this be my problem? If so can someone please explain how to get into the ignition switch, I mean how in the world does it come apart?

Jeembawb

Thanks for the info,its much appreciated. If you have that book out still does it say how much of a droop etc there should be in the track ? or do you keep tightening until there is no more deflection ? thanks Garrie.

From memory the manual says you should be able to lift it 4" at the top - supposed to be done while it is jacked up - don't put too much pressure on the front wheel (can't think of it's proper name) if the bushes aren't too flash

Jimbob

nutwood

My AD7 (70CI with blade) has it's tracks tensioned with grease pressure. Take off inspection plate on track spring cover, locate grease nipple and pump grease in until desired tension is achieved. Correct setting is 20 -30mm movement when 50kg down pressure is applied midway between front and centre rollers.

Roycehg

Hello Nutwood
I just got myself the same machine as yours and I will have to tension the tracks as you have descibed. After the clean up I have noticed that the track springs have broken through..the previous owner has been driving the machine around with them broken I assume..are they a major inportance..will I have to replace them do you think??

Cheers

Garrie Denny

Occupation
see above
Hi Royce, Garrie here, I cant see my 70ci to check at the moment im away from her working at the moment, but from memory when i adjusted mie last time via the grease nipple, the back of the front roller track spring is against the pkate that movews forward when you squirt grease in to tighten track,the front of that spring pushes up against a plate that pushes the front front roller wheel(track guide) forward. I cant picture how that spring which is fairly larhe in both diamater and length could break through anything either end pushes against, what exactly have they broken through ?

nutwood

Hello Nutwood
I just got myself the same machine as yours and I will have to tension the tracks as you have descibed. After the clean up I have noticed that the track springs have broken through..the previous owner has been driving the machine around with them broken I assume..are they a major inportance..will I have to replace them do you think??

Cheers

Sorry about the delayed response Roycehg. I would suggest the answer to your question depends on what you are using your machine for. If you are using it to make an income, it'd probably be wise to bite the bullet and replace the broken springs. They are available; about $1k apiece plus freight
My machine is a farm dozer. Works hard sometimes, but sits about a lot as well. I've got a broken spring on one side. I've no idea how they get broken but apparently they can, and do, break. Mine was in numerous bits. My solution was to remove the grease fitting and let the tension off. I then rearranged the broken bits as best I could and simply welded them back together. I didn't try to get it back to being a coil spring again, I simply tried to make something that would spring. I used 16TC low hydrogen rods.
Now, lots of people have told me that it's not possible to weld a broken spring back together but I did it about eight years ago and I had to re-do the repair about two years ago. Of course the repair is very much helped by the way I've assembled the spring. I've lapped bits past each other so the natural compression of the spring holds them in place. The weld simply takes the shear force. It's not an ideal solution but unless I have to, I'm not eager to replace the spring. I've always got my eye open for a SH spring but so far, no luck. I've found a few wrecked machines but the springs have always gone. That in itself tells a story.
If I have the cover off some time I'll try and remember to post an image. It'll probably be at https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...Fiat-70CI-Repairs-modifications-and-stories&p which I have just discovered to have grown by about five pages of comments since my last visit.:eek: