• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fellerbuncher

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Does anyone have an idea on what fellerbunchers run to rent for week/month in there area? Buddy of mine just got a job here in PA, its ruffly 100+ trees, hes plannin on fallin them with a couple chainsaws, and hes lookin at prices to rent a skidder to get them out to the "landing". But i figured i look into prices anyhow just to see is it would be more efficent and cost effective to get a feller. So if you have any info...let me know, thanks :drinkup

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The last guy I talked to about renting out logging gear said he would rather rent out his sister. Most will contract out the cutting with their own operator.

A 100 plus trees is not many for a feller buncher and probably would not justify the extra cost.

Timbercruise171

Occupation
student
You would have to take into account
1. Availability of a buncher
2. Move in/ Move out cost
3. Diameter of trees
4. Percent slope of the terrain
5. Acreage of the harvest unit
In other words if it’s 100 trees then use chainsaws.

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
10-4, pretty well figured it wouldnt be cost effective.. wanted to look into basically cause id like to run one :D

Logman

A new fellerbuncher costs upward of $500,000, so you probably won't find one for rent. But even if you did, the cost to rent would probably exceed the value of the 100 trees.

A typical 3/4" pitch bar/chain combo for a fellerbuncher sets you back around $500. A new operator can expect to trash several of these in his first 100 trees.

They are not easy machines to run nor cheap to learn how.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
I have never seen a buncher for rent. If you owned a $500,000 buncher would you rent it to someone who has no experience?

One good hand cutter can fell and buck 40+ trees a day. In hardwoods.

A buncher seems like complete over kill, but it sure would be fun.:)

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
agreed gentlemen.....two to three days if all your doing is dropping and limbing them, maybe 10 gallons of gas etc..... Even if you bought a brand new saw for the job it would still be cheaper to run chain saws. I think too if money were no object i'd love to own one.

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
:iagree yea im still aimin for that lottery.. then ill buy whatver iron i want. But i guess u guys are right tho, i kinda knew they were expensive machines, with those cutting heads and everything else, but i wasnt sure if they did rent um or not. How bout a skidder tho, what kinda prices do you see to rent them per week/month?

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
How bout a skidder tho, what kinda prices do you see to rent them per week/month?

I have rented them for $3,000 a month. I have seen them rented for as much as $5,000 a month. Keep in mind this logging and the risk for destruction is real high. Quite a bit of money considering you can buy a Deere 440B for around $10,000.

Do you have a log buyer (buyers)?
If you have a buyer will they come pick up the logs or do you need to haul them?
Do you know how to scale out the timber sale? (pretty important so you don't get shafted)
What length do you need to buck the logs at? 8'6" tie logs 10', 12', 16' ? Make sure you get that right so you get the most value.
Any veneer logs in the sale? Veneer can go for huge money.

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
He doesnt have the buyers yet hes talk to a few just to try and set them up, but theyre going to figure out the sizes of the trees, and what board footage they can get out of them before they present it in full to the buyers. More then likely they well be renting a log trailer because they have a tractor that usually pulls the lowboy trailer, but might be aiming to get atleast one other truck to haul. Not sure on the veneer, dont believe so, mostly oak, poplar, and a few birch but not many. (But i dont know trees all that well). Anyhow i checked out some of those 440's, that would def. be a good size machine for what he has to do and hes lookin for a skidder with the cable style (not the clambunk or claw or whatever, because theres def rock (big surface rock) all over, and hes gonna have to pull alot of the logs out not gonna be able to reach um. Thanks for the words of advice tho :drinkup

hotsaw

In Pa we have down it already with operator for around $150.00 - $175.00 per hour.
Yes they are expensive but they more than pay for themselves wants you get the hang of it. No I would not move it for 100 trees for regular logging rates.
Happy loggin'

Somer

Rentable cutter

I have rented them for $3,000 a month. I have seen them rented for as much as $5,000 a month. Keep in mind this logging and the risk for destruction is real high. Quite a bit of money considering you can buy a Deere 440B for around $10,000.

Do you have a log buyer (buyers)?
If you have a buyer will they come pick up the logs or do you need to haul them?
Do you know how to scale out the timber sale? (pretty important so you don't get shafted)
What length do you need to buck the logs at? 8'6" tie logs 10', 12', 16' ? Make sure you get that right so you get the most value.
Any veneer logs in the sale? Veneer can go for huge money.

LOOKING FOR FELLER BUNCHER TO RENT, I KNOW OF THE COST. OWN A LOGGING CO AND MY CUTTER BURNT OVER NIGHT, I NEED TO RENT TO GET THRU TIL INSURANCE PULLS THRU... Can't find a place and I saw u had rented before PLEASE TELL ME WHERE!?!? Thanks!!