• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

F8000 Ford won't stay charging

Jons

How big is this relay and what would it look like, I have a row of four relays in near some fuses. ?

grandpa

This would be square,,, about the size of a signal flasher( the square one's) but its not under the dash door for the fuse's. Its below that door and to the left. You can actually leave that dash door closed . Then look to the left , above the heater, back in aways. It will have a plug in on it with two maybe three wire's to it.

jowmore

Have a JCB that had the same problem,two new batteries and new alternator I was pulling my hair out till I got hold of wiring diagram, showed a switch that excited the alternator when it sensed a voltage drop which was in the ignition switch wiring,simple 30.00 part fixed the problem. Just a thought.

Jons

Thanks for all the help I'm sure will find it in time. Will find the part grandpa told me where to find first, then on from there. Hoping that's the problem we do hear something in that area click when we lose voltage. Hope everyone had a safe New Year and a great 2014 Jon

Jons

Hello grandpa what do you call this relay when I find it and ask at the ford truck center.?? Thanks again.

Jons

Ours is a 1993 with 8.3 Cummins, cant find anything on firewall, alternator shop man that have used for 25 years says its built into alt and was replaced last week. Thanks Jon

Old Doug

I would replace relay. But it sound funny that a bad relay would work the same every time. If it has some thing on it that is a alarm that is shuting it down and you are runing it with the pump shut off not going that is were i would look.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
Its in your alarm system when its killing power to your fuel solenoid its also killing the power for the alternator exciter

grandpa

Maybe I'm wrong but once an alternator take's excitation its not needed again until you shut it off???? His start's to charge then kicks out.

Jons

Ok it's fixed. Did put in new ignition switch, only because it was only $ 30.00 and I had one for another truck but that didn't fix it. We finally found the shut down alarm box duct taped to the back side of dash board with the buzzer taped down so you could not hear the alarm, that took few hours to find after removing all three dash panels and heater covers. Turns out the module has failed and keeps shutting down system and motor fuel and charging. We jumped past the module and fuel shut down works right again and charging system is fine. Alarm system turned out not to be a Kysor but a Multi-Alarm II, Thanks for all the great help. Jon

bryce13

I have a 1992 Ford l8000 that is not charging. It is the blue back alternator. I unplugged the external voltage regulator behind the air cleaner and jumped the two end wires, still only charging at 12.4