• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ether addicted engines

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Went to a service call with another guy just after Christmas a few years ago. Customer had a brand new 850 Hitachi that had been down all week for no start. Customer said they serviced it and now it only runs on ether. Said they've had a few guys on it over that week and they all had the same answer: runs on ether only. I hop up, check the fluids while my coworker chats with the customer about it. I get down in the cab, flip on the fuel shutoff switch under the seat and tell them both to stand clear cause its gonna fire up. The look of anger/relief on the customer's face was priceless when I told him that nobody bothered to check the fuel shutoff switch. No idea if anything was damaged but it ran great so we left and went to the next call.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Got a call once about a Freightliner no start issue. Got there and saw several empty cans on the ground and 2 primer pumps (3406E Cat). Problem was a bad ECM feed fuse behind the battery box that was corroded to heck from deicer spray. Fired right up after replacing the inline fuse holders.
A week later it showed up at the shop on the hook, it was belching black smoke like coal fired locomotive, the tip on #3 injector was gone... Wonder how that happened?

DIYDAVE

My grandfather usedta have a A-C D-19 diesel, that figgered out how to huff up a can of ether, all by itself... I think it was the electric solenoid valve, that would stick, on the ether injection system. After I got the tractor, I never used ether, again, installed a tank type pre-heater, and never had another problem...;)

Truck Shop

Beer distributor driver stopped in the shop saying his truck was making unusual power and noise. You could smell ether walking up to it. {This happened in 1989 by the way}
It was a International C.O.E.-his delivery clip board had fallen of the dog house and landed on the ether switch located on the floor shift tower, every time he hit a good bump
it would get a shot of ether. He had driven 35 miles that way he figured. That BCIII ate the whole bottle.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Beer distributor driver stopped in the shop saying his truck was making unusual power and noise. You could smell ether walking up to it. {This happened in 1989 by the way}
It was a International C.O.E.-his delivery clip board had fallen of the dog house and landed on the ether switch located on the floor shift tower, every time he hit a good bump
it would get a shot of ether. He had driven 35 miles that way he figured. That BCIII ate the whole bottle.

Truck Shop
I've install a bunch of ether injector systems on heavy equipment, I always tie into starter solenoid trigger wire for power. No crank... No ether.

Reactions: DB2

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
When you tear down an engine is it possible to tell if its hooked on the ether? What would you typically see? Scuffed liners/pistons, broken rings etc?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
OLD late 60's White Freightliner, Cummins six bolt heads NH220, was a mess and a hard start. Old boy on yard was new to yard work was our yard truck where sat A LOT. We often called it the One Eyed Wonder, wondered why it still ran and only a Left headlamp in it. Was cold, below zero for days in Ft Scott KS, wind whistling across the yard and some trucks sat no block heaters. Came to work on a Monday, weekend crews had been excused but snow was off the roads and we were told to show up.

Old yard man, just started, had to get One Eye started to move trailers on the yard, dumb as one can get, was taught to use ONE GEAR. Had a CASE of ether squirt cans and the starting cart, went out to the truck, jumped in the seat, pulled the compression release and hit the button, rapid clicks only so hooked up the starting cart while at it shot s long snort of ether in the Air cleaner stack(oil bath A/C behind front tire).

Sat a few minutes in the yard shack came over RE-ethered, then climbed in cab, harump, click click click, jumps down back to shack. Couple guys wrestle the charging cart off for two other trucks with block heaters and got them running then hooked back up on One Eye. After around fifteen minutes another dose of ether, can empty bought another one and loaded some more. Mind you ALL the mechanics are now taking or making book of what is gonna happen. MORE ether, and Harump click click click. Off he stomps cold and getting tired. Left the cart connected for an hour maybe more, figured to cut a fat hog here he came again and Emptied no. 2 or 3 at this time. Jumps in cab, sun had come out and was shining well on the back of the block where the wind had died off. Grabbed compression release, spun up dumped the cable VAROOM, then RUNAWAY as ALL the ether laying in that oil bath got sucked up at once, and BANG, Smoke rolling. Guy is sitting behind the wheel, we can see his eyes from the shop HUGE!!

Go out to see if need fire department but alas the One Eyed monster is dead, center head sitting funny in the hole, LARGE dent in doghouse hump from head coming up, at LEAST four of the six head bolts had been cracked a while, guess pistons swapping holes pushed it off the block pretty abruptly!! Guy shat himself, went home never came back quit.

newdanr

Our biggest horse on the farm was a 3306 with glow plugs, so we had a strict "no ether" policy. But we didn't run much stuff in the winter, and we had ways to plug them in (or use the propane tiger torch and a stove pipe to take the chill off). In fact, I think the first place that I saw ether used was as a teen, and dad had an AWFUL J20 Jeep pickup (gas) that had an oddball Motorcraft carb that Ford never used themselves, and we figure it was overfueling and washing the walls down. Dad got mad one day when it wouldn't start and tried to help it...
When we did use ether later, on some older engines, the rules were pretty clear - it was always a two-man job, if possible, and just a whiff in the air intake, and only while the other person had the engine wheeling over. Dad said that when my grandpa was around, he'd start by emptying a can into the intake, then jump in to start, often without even trying the engine to see if it would start. That made dad awfully sensitive to the horrible knocking sound!

The best ether story I have, though, from the machine shop at home... big cooperative farm operation that ran older stuff had an engine fail in a well-used tractor (IHC 1066, I think). Machine shop rebuilt it. A short time later, it was back in the shop in worse shape. Assumption was that they messed something up during the rebuild or didn't do break-in properly, so the shop rebuilt it again. Sure enough, it was soon back again. So this time, they sent someone from the shop to ride while the machine was in use. As happens, there was a young fellow (12? 14? years old) running the tractor. Everything was going well until he got to a tough spot in the field. When the tractor started to really work, the young man pressed what he called the "power button" on the dash. Sure enough, he had been using the ether injection to get through tough spots or assist up hills in the field!!

danr

Cleetus MacFarlad

At anywhere below zero degrees F., older Cat and other make pre-combustion engines generally will not start, even if all mechanical items are perfect. Hell, a lot of direct injection engines won't start either. That when you pull out the ether cans and give them a good snort.

How to start a Cat 651B 67K on a cold dark January morning in Wyoming: This also works in New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, West Virginia, Illinois, Michigan, Colorado, and Utah and Nevada.

1. Get to jobsite and sit in pickup cursing cold weather for a few minutes.

2. Put coveralls and other cold weather gear on.

3. Curse cold weather some more.

4. Get in toolbox and retrieve two cans of ether.

5. Stuff more ether cans in your pockets.

6. Bang on cab door so it will break loose and open.

7. Have your buddy get in cab and have him jam transmission in reverse.

8. Turn master switch on and start preheating the glowplugs for minimum two minutes, more likely four minutes.

9. Use that time to crawl up the ladder on right side. Be careful, it's slippery you fool!

10. Beat snow off air cleaners. Remove both air cleaner covers.

11. Spray thick pattern of ether on both inner air filters.

12. Have partner jam thottle to floor and start cranking the engine.

13. Shoot more ether on inner air filters.

14. Duck large cloud of soot and ash coming out of muffler.

15. If engine begins to fire off on a couple of cylinders, shoot more ether in. Make sure partner stays on thottle. It has to be on the floor!

16. As engine begins to rev up, give it more ether.

17. As transmission starts to drag engine RPM down, give the engine air filters more ether.

18. When engine tachs out and trans is whining good, reinstall both outer air filters tightly.

19. After engine starts and you have about 60 pounds of air built up, pull the retarder in all the way and keep that engine up at full RPM. This forces the tranny oil to heat up quickly. Let retarder go after oil temp comes up a bit.

20. Motion partner to pull trans into neutral whilst keeping thottle to floor. As the engine starts to torque down, shoot more ether in the precleaner bonnet.

21. When engine is finally idling normally, carefully step down, throw empty ether cans at pickup, and move on to the next one. Remember, you started getting the iron ready at four in the morning for a 7AM production start. One down, nineteen to go..... Then the pushcats, compactors, and graders

22. Call down to the warehouse for more ether or send someone in to town to get a pallet or so.

23. Repeat untill all 20 pans are started. Put production supt off as it's now 7:30AM.

24. Repeat next day.

Remember, just because you got the big bustards started, doesn't mean they are going to move anywhere. The brakes are froze you know.

If the above does not work, leave that machine sit and go on to the next. When you have as many started as possible, start working back thorough the line.

1. Try all the dead ones at least once. Didn't start, huh? Not unusual!

2. While you remove the trans input shaft cover (at rear of trans), have your pard remove the outer air filters again.

3. Hook up a machine that started easily (probably a D9) with a set of double 00 jumper cables to the batteries under the cover on the right front. If you are lucky, use the Cat quick-start jumpers instead, they are far better than any clamp on jumpers, and using them is much less dangerous than jumping straight to the batteries)

4. Start engine, let it run until the coolant guage shows it's up to operating temperature. Shut engine off.

5. Keep trans in reverse all this time.

6. Reinstall trans drive shaft, cover, and retainer bolts.

7. Mash thottle to floor, hold it there.

8. Attempt to start engine again.

9. If it starts, follow steps 18-20 above.

10. Reinstall outer air filters and covers. You did help the engine with more ether didn't you?

11. Remove jumpers and reinstall cover if you took it off. (this is a good time to check and tighten battery terminal clamps and make sure battery cables are snug in their clamps. Make double sure the battery holddowns are in good repair and fastened down tight.

12. Oh crap, you forgot the brakes are frozen to the drums, didn't you?

My crew and I worked from 4AM to noon one Saturday in 1975 trying to get 20 651's started. At noon we had half of them going, but production decided that ten wasn't enough and went home. (bar) MY crew spent the rest of the day getting the other ten going and performing general maintenance. I could tell about many other places this had to be done with the B-series D346 engines and 8-speed transmissions. This method of starting extreme cold weather machines was not only approved by Caterpillar engineers and techs, they came up with the original idea.

Some early 67K's that went to Alaska for Green Construction actually had a dog clutch installed between the torque divider and the transmission input shaft. These didn't work out too well and around 67K65 the idea was discontinued. That's when the factory came up with the plan of placing the trans in reverse. They found out in field tests that the transmission pump, in neutral, tried to build up too much pressure, around 400+ pounds I believe. In reverse, the trans safety valve only spooled up to about 60 pounds and that allowed the engine to keep turning over. As the trans oil began to loosen up and with the engine at full RPM, you could pull the trans into neutral, but you had to stay on it. Once we got the hang of it, starting these beasts became much easier. Those that are familiar with the D-series 60-degree engines know that at less than full RPM, these machines couldn't get out of their own way. At full blast, they were nearly unstoppable.

Surprisingly, we had few engine or transmission failures. We kept two pallets of new batteries in stock and a pallet of starters too. We had a standing order for a pallet of ether every week from NAPA, and sometimes had to buy more.

Ether is a great tool for starting engines, cleaning oil and grease off parts, thowing out frozen door handles and padlocks. Used with care and experience, it will not hurt an engine, or you.
holy christ, up in Key Lake Sask. they just put quick couplers on the coolant lines and had 6 pickups that sat in the shop all night that also had QC's drive out to the machines and hook the coolant lines and an airline to them (to spin the starters, needed air cause the batteries froze) we could start 60 machines in 4 hours at -65c, mind you the pickups were dead by march, but a $24k chevy is a lot cheaper than D11's and those terex shovels