• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

edco ?

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
used to see ads for "EDCO wildcat" & "EDCO mustang" yarders in the loggers world any info on these machines?
brent

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Used to be a ton of EDCO machines around SW Washington and NW Oregon- I have a ton of pics buried in my archived albums. Most of the machines I was around were 70' one piece towers, truck mounted (usually an old surplus Autocar, Mack, or KW), and often they used Skagit BU50 or BU75 drumsets.

The Wildcat and Mustang machines were Edco drumsets, and mostly all Edco built. Some were trailer-mounted and many were mounted on an Edco-built 4-axle carrier.

I'll round up some pics.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Out of shear boredom tonight, I have been looking back through the archives of threads.
I read an article a few years ago in Loggers World about this outfit. I hijacked the pictures from Acme Carriage's web page. If I remember right this is an Edco Sidewinder.
Mabey someone can enlighten me!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 2,544
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 2,795

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
If edco made the sidewinder machines there is one down at Goshen Equipment here in Oregon. Don't know if they have a website. Not my favorite place that's for sure.

TorkelH

Edco Wildcat

Here's some pictures taken from Basco's yard of an Edco Wildcat, and some specs on Edco Wildcat II yarder. I have altso uploaded an article about the Edco Mustang from 1979 Pacific Logging congress: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/edco mustang-sm.pdf. Thats what I had on Edco yarders!

Attachments

• Edco1.jpg
    Edco1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 2,179
  • edco4.jpg
    edco4.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 2,167
  • Edco2.jpg
    Edco2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 2,210
  • edco3.jpg
    edco3.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 2,120
  • edco5..jpg
    edco5..jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 2,124

lg junior

the sidewinder yarder in #3 was built by Rosedale Machine Shop in Canada I do believe

furpo

Sidewinder S10

I understand this machine belongs to Doug Kirney but is currently for sale.

Attachments

• 173392838_full.jpg
    173392838_full.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,962
  • 173392836_full.jpg
    173392836_full.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,782
  • 173392775_full.jpg
    173392775_full.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,764
  • 173392774_full.jpg
    173392774_full.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,767

prolog nz

Yeah this is dougs sidewinder, has had alot of money spent tidying it up also had afew modifications including the topping line to raise and lower boom you can see the winch mounted on the back legs of the gantry.

As far as I know these were primarily designed for shotgunning. I think you can set them up for scabbing but don't quote me on that, I'm sure someone on here can enlighten us on what they can and can not do?

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Edco picture?

I think this is a picture of an Edco at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Awesome place to stop for samples and ice cream if you're in the area.

Attachments

• IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,740

furpo

Special machine... Is the winch hydrostatic or is it a downdrive eh.. updrive? Someone have soms specs on the sidewinder?

I have no idea.

Active Equipment have done a bit of work on it so they might be able to help.

lg junior

The Sidewinder yarders in this thread are not built by Edco. Edco if I remember was built in Sutherland Oregon and the Sidewinder was built by Rosedale Machine Shop in British Columbia. The winch or drums are driven by an updrive from the engine that is mounted to the rear of the tracks, and it also powers the tracks which drive from the opposite end. I've become very interested in some of the ways that Rosedale engineered their machines, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about the company, at least that I can find. Years ago I ran a small swing yarder that used an updrive like the sidewinder, it had some drawbacks. One problem that I did not like was that there was no engine in the upper, consequently no heater. The owner didn't see a problem until he ran it when the windows were frozen on the inside. It was very quiet thou.

TorkelH

lg junior! That was good to get that clear! I did a search and found out that Rosedale Machine Shop had the following productnames trademarked in the 70's: Sidewinder, Skyhawk, Ecologger and Ecothinner. I think maybe it already is a thread here for Rosedale or Ecologger, if not we sure should have one!

bushman1

eston dumont was the founder of EDCO.he started out put(i think skagit hosts)with a ship spar.later making own tube. i went in 1975? to watch mustang unveiled on roseburg lumber job in little river area(glide or) where he was from. no pictures got some of roseburg 108 and view yarders. i was young at the time but i know a lot of people spoke very highly of him.he had a number of patents including carriages.had heard later on in life it was the big boys that kept him down.he passed away in 2008?RIP when i get the scan thing going i will post some of his yarders

Amanda.Dumont

@Bushman1: Yes My Grandpa Eston Acusta Dumont Passed Away @ The Young Age Of 84 On 2/7/08...I Wasn't Born Until 1990 So I Missed Out On EDCO In Its Prime.. But I've Heard A lot Of Stories & Have Seen Alot Of Pictures<3 I Miss My Grandpa So Much && Love Seeing People Still Talking About His Yarders<3