• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dump truck hinges loose

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Are you sure it's the hinges that are locking up and not the lift cylinder over extending?

I agree totally with this post.

A hinge with clearance won't seize......plain an simple

Pj

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Dunno, but I wouldn't think those hinges would be all that inclined to stick. (he grins) More likely hydraulic as mentioned by buckfever

I've not had much to do with tipper/dump trucks but I have built and fitted a couple of bodies and you folks tell me the greasable bushed pivots and the guides and tapered pin locators were a waste of time?

Cheers

Last edited:

ValleyFirewood

I don't intend on starting an argument but in my opinion based on the pictures there is nothing I would worry about there, with a heavy (probably spring) suspension with short sides and relatively short bed I wouldn't be worried about flipping it because of the pins, most all of my trucks have more wear than that, I've had several new beds installed and pins aren't tight tolerance like heavy iron. So in short sorry to disagree with everyone but I don't think you have a issue unless you guys are seeing something more in the pictures than I am ? :confused:

Pj

I agree.

grandpa

I looked again, I'm sorry I just don't see a problem, I see wear but I don't see spending money on something no worse than that on a $1k truck or a even a 20k rig.

If you get a truck setup right they don't tip as easy as everyone let's on they do ;)

Pj

That truck is just a crosswind from going over,,,, but do as you like... I'll continue to repair mine as needed.. I don't want to kill anybody .

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
That truck is just a crosswind from going over. I don't want to kill anybody .

As I said to start with I do not wish to start an argument and I have stated my opinion but I do feel that I need to make another post to defend myself so here it goes..............

Grandpa, Being a bit dramatic there aren't we? :rolleyes: as far as the truck being "just a crosswind away from going over"...... Nah believe me it's far from it, it was rocked back and forth pretty aggressively to get out of the hole it was in ended up being drug out with a dozer (hence the chain) if you seen the back of the frame during the time of this pic you would flip out, double-triple frame truck with 46k walking beams even with a load of muck stuck in the nose it was far from tipping ;) (maybe your used to air ride trucks and have little experience with springs? No offense intended ) but...... I know what I'm doing, after all I stayed at a motel6 one time :D haha

Repair them if you'd like just don't try to force your opinions on anyone else or make mention that i am trying to kill someone because that is rediculous and I do take strong offense to that remark. I was simply giving a opinion to the OP and stating why I believed so

With all of that being said I do not deny the fact that even the most ridged of trucks can tip over just as any truck can hit a power line, it is the drivers responsibility to employ some common sense, we also have air ride dumps and rarely dump air...... Am I trying to kill someone there too? I would rather have a ridgid truck such as the red one in above post or the OP with a little slop in a hinge on a slope than a brand new air ride truck on a slope anyday of the week ;)

"I treat everybody the same...... I give em all grief." For some reason i do believe that statement to be 100% correct

Pj

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
More than scrap unless it weighs more than 25,000lbs. But still a great price! We don't get much for metal here, 70-80$ a ton. Some years back had to PAY to get rid of metal.

Yeah, I was basing that on our scrap prices locally - $100 to 140 per 1k pounds. I got $.14 a lb for the scrap off the demo job I just completed. However, we have quite a few furnaces locally.

grandpa

Powerjoke ,,,, you and I should go into business together... between the two of us we'd know everything.... you know every thing but..... nope, I won't go there..... Proud of me MODS?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Yair . . . Dunno, but I wouldn't think those hinges would be all that inclined to stick. (he grins) More likely hydraulic as mentioned by buckfever

I've not had much to do with tipper/dump trucks but I have built and fitted a couple of bodies and you folks tell me the greasable bushed pivots and the guides and tapered pin locators were a waste of time?

Cheers

I didn't mean to say a good fitting pin and bushing was a waste of time, just that some manufactures seem to think that way. If I was building one myself I would like to use pins and bushings like Cat and others use on the buckets of FELs. Along with seals on either side of the bushing. Build it that way and give it a shot or two of grease every night to flush ouot any dirt and it would last for many years.

One thing that can happen with dumpers is they can get over center if there isn't something to stop them from raising too high. Or if packings are adjusted a little too tight on those multi stage cylinders can also cause the problem. I just last month had to back off the packings on one about 1/2 turn on each one and this truck had been running for a year like that.

JDOFMEMI

At the risk of wading into a quagmire, I agree with Powerjoke on this one. Those pins would not cause me two seconds of thought. It took many years of use to wear them that little bit, and I wager they will outlive the truck if left alone. I also agree the cylinder ism much more likely of a cause for the bed sticking up.

If you had the rare type of job with your truck that it hauled 100 loads per day every day then it may be a problem and need greaseable pins, but I doubt that is the case.

rmk4x4

I have been around several dumps that acted like they were sticking when they were all the way up. I dont think it is the best thing to do puting it all the way up. Not to belittlie you but is this your first dump truck? They are a little scary and most will move around some with the bed up. This looks to be a good truck i think you made a great buy. I think your hinges are good to go but i would greese them up.

This is my 3rd dump truck first one that I did not convert and was a factory made one. The truck is really in good shape other than need cosmetic tlc I hauled a 100 or so loads this fall with it. The pins are really worse than it looks and I have the bed off and upside down in the shop seems like the right time to fix it. It could be the ram sticking some it seem to have air in it and i can never get it all out.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
... between the two of us we'd know everything.... you know every thing but.....

You really should have hooked the chain into the receiver on the drivers side... really.

A motel6 one time, just wasn't quite enough... :D

OCR... lol

Happy New Year, everyone... :lmao

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
It could be the ram sticking some it seem to have air in it and i can never get it all out.

Most of these cylinders I have worked on have a small bleeder valve at the top. A little brass fitting that you open to let the air out. Crack it open a little and then try to raise the box when air stops and oil sprays out close it. Some boxes have an access cover inside the box that you can remove to get easy access to this fitting.

grandpa

This is my 3rd dump truck first one that I did not convert and was a factory made one. The truck is really in good shape other than need cosmetic tlc I hauled a 100 or so loads this fall with it. The pins are really worse than it looks and I have the bed off and upside down in the shop seems like the right time to fix it. It could be the ram sticking some it seem to have air in it and i can never get it all out.

Maybe my viewing of it was better than everybody else's :beatsme But I could see at least a quarter inch of wide open space in there. When its all said and done please report back to us how much better that truck is to spread with. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

FWD

I like my pins tight and well greased. I have two dumps, one with a Brandon and another with a Bibeau box. They have greasable pins and I don't mind plenty of grease. I think it's good that they are tight when the truck is empty and bouncing around. I do a lot of spreading on uneven roads. I like a spring walking beam suspension for this work.
FWD

ValleyFirewood

Maybe my viewing of it was better than everybody else's :beatsme But I could see at least a quarter inch of wide open space in there. When its all said and done please report back to us how much better that truck is to spread with. :D

I just see the mounts for the pins that look a little egg shaped, hard to tell how off it is without a pin in there.

Rmk4x4, that truck seems familiar, are you on the Alaska 4x4 web board?

Last edited:

rmk4x4

I just see the mounts for the pins that look a little egg shaped, hard to tell how off it is without a pin in there.

Rmk4x4, that truck seems familiar, are you on the Alaska 4x4 web board?

I don't think I have ever posted a pic of that truck on there. yeah I am on there too but these days I have more iron than I do 4x4's and don't get the enjoyment I did 15 years ago out of it so many people on the trails.

rmk4x4

So my plan is to rig up a boring bar a little redneck but has worked in the past and line bore the holes out to fit a bushing and weld the bushing in and keep grease in it should be a pretty easy fix. The bed is off of the truck and upside down in the shop now I have lots of stuff for the gate latch that need to be welded and re drilled. Might be over kill to get them tight tipping of is not that much of a worrie to me I just like to have things right it will be a nice clean older truck when I am done.