• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dump truck hinges loose

rmk4x4

any cheap and easy way of fixing these the part on the truck I got figured out on getting tightened up but the box parts is loose and short of line boaring or cutting the block off and replacing any ideas. The pins are 2 inch would stepping down a size hurt it is a ten yard box

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums rmk4x4! :drinkup

Are the pin/bushings loose or the ears on the dump bed spread apart? If it's loose I am not understanding why you would want to go down a pin size?

rmk4x4

They are loose on both the truck and box I was thinking of going down a size so I could weld in a bushing as it is now the bushings are gone if it ever had any it binds when up all the way I have to give it a good jerk forward to lower. It also sways a lot when your up all the way it does not have to be perfect but would like less slop with out spending a ton on it

Old Doug

If the holes are out of round and i bet they are it wouldnt be long before the bushings were shot. Cheap and easy do not go to gather.

Delmer

How much of the wear is in the pin? Maybe new pins would get you close enough?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I'm a bit bushed here, some pictures would be nice . . . are we talking the actual pins/pivots the body tips on?

If so rmk4x4 it needs fixing properly. It would have started life with standard clearances as found in any other pivot point on machinery.

Cheers

rmk4x4

IMG_0113[1].jpgIMG_0114[1].jpg

not the best pics in the world but you can see on the pin how worn out it is if I could source the part that is welded on the box I would replace it the truck ears I have some bosses I can weld on and put longer pins in

rmk4x4

when you have a load in it will sway when you have the bed up and makes for spreading with the chains on the gate not much fun with sway.

rmk4x4

2013-09-08_19-39-13_828.jpg here it is the day I brought it home I picked it up for 1k with a plow and sander had to drive out in the woods about 30 miles off the road to a homestead wear the owner had passed away. It was there with no hood on it and blue tarp over the engine. I charged the air on it and roll started it with my pick up and threw on the hood and drove home 60 miles with it. it has a n-14 15speed over drive with a 18k front and 40k rears the truck runs and drives good I am painting it and fixing all the loose stuff on the bed. and to top it off the engine had just had a out of frame rebuild

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The hinges and the multistage cylinder look like Heil to me. All the ones I have seen over the last 40+ years have the pin locked in the hinge part that is welded to the frame and the center sections that are welded to the box have no bearings and many of them don't even come with grease fittings. Other than welding and line boring the best way to repair is to cut off the old parts and either buy or have new parts made at a machine shop.

Here is a link that may be of help:

http://www.tbeidumpbodyparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=1412

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
View attachment 112354 here it is the day I brought it home I picked it up for 1k with a plow and sander

Damn, you got that for less than scrap value.:thumbsup

At first I didn't understand which part of the dump body you were talking about or it could have been my feeble mind early in the morning with only 1 cup of coffee and working on New Years Eve.:cool: In my mind I was thinking the tailgate hinges.:beatsme

I concur with the others that you really need to think about spending a little $$ and fixing it correctly. With that being said, what are your intended uses for the truck? If you are putting it on the road to use everyday, then fix it right.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I don't intend on starting an argument but in my opinion based on the pictures there is nothing I would worry about there, with a heavy (probably spring) suspension with short sides and relatively short bed I wouldn't be worried about flipping it because of the pins, most all of my trucks have more wear than that, I've had several new beds installed and pins aren't tight tolerance like heavy iron. So in short sorry to disagree with everyone but I don't think you have a issue unless you guys are seeing something more in the pictures than I am ? :confused:

Pj

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I don't intend on starting an argument but in my opinion based on the pictures there is nothing I would worry about there, with a heavy (probably spring) suspension with short sides and relatively short bed I wouldn't be worried about flipping it because of the pins, most all of my trucks have more wear than that, I've had several new beds installed and pins aren't tight tolerance like heavy iron. So in short sorry to disagree with everyone but I don't think you have a issue unless you guys are seeing something more in the pictures than I am ? :confused:

Pj

Agree that the hinges on these bodies are not held to close tolerances when new. Like I said some don't even have grease fittings. Guess they figure a truck might haul 8 to 10 loads in a day so they only move that many times in a day. Now a front end loader will go through that many cycles in less than 5 minutes on a busy day, so the need for a better pin and bushing design is obvious.

ValleyFirewood

Damn, you got that for less than scrap value.:thumbsup

More than scrap unless it weighs more than 25,000lbs. But still a great price! We don't get much for metal here, 70-80$ a ton. Some years back had to PAY to get rid of metal.

I always worry about tipping when dumping, I have a pretty large box on my truck.

Last edited:

Old Doug

They are loose on both the truck and box I was thinking of going down a size so I could weld in a bushing as it is now the bushings are gone if it ever had any it binds when up all the way I have to give it a good jerk forward to lower. It also sways a lot when your up all the way it does not have to be perfect but would like less slop with out spending a ton on it

I have been around several dumps that acted like they were sticking when they were all the way up. I dont think it is the best thing to do puting it all the way up. Not to belittlie you but is this your first dump truck? They are a little scary and most will move around some with the bed up. This looks to be a good truck i think you made a great buy. I think your hinges are good to go but i would greese them up.

grandpa

Pj

You better take a closer look at his second picture.... my lord you could throw a tomcat between that pin and pin boss,,, that is more than enough slop to tip that truck on its side. I know he didn't pay much for it, but no sense wrecking it.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I looked again, I'm sorry I just don't see a problem, I see wear but I don't see spending money on something no worse than that on a $1k truck or a even a 20k rig.

If you get a truck setup right they don't tip as easy as everyone let's on they do ;)

Pj

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 592
Last edited: