• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drone Harassment

fastline

Several jobsites around here the past few years have seen drones loitering overhead, turned out it was OSHA. Have heard anecdotal reports of citations being issued from that practice.
That's precisely the **** I am talking about! Telling you guys, we have to collectively fight back against it, or they will have drones hovering along the roads shooting radar. Just remember that the government works FOR the people, which means if 'the people' do not want it, it should not happen, but government has become a 'for profit' BUSINESS over the last 100yrs.

BTW, does anyone here support term limits in congress? Yes? Yes?, then why isn't that done yet? That right there concerns me......

Truck Shop

Commander Vetech 63 strode from his house with his favorite camo hat covered in twigs
and rotten dried grass. He heard a drone in the distance and thought now would be his
chance to bag a one with his trusty 12. But the the drone was just that of a old 2 stroke.

skyking1

LEO's have hunter drones with nets.
ap_381799136805.jpg

skyking1

leave it to Japan. They don't want to drop the drone on the people below, so they made that net thing. It has to sneak up on the offending drone because it sure can't run them down.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I just got to use a friends nice Mavic drone this past weekend. Was mapping out a swamp and looking at where I could make the water deeper for some ducks. It was a good piece of gear to have. I have a family member that uses a thermal one to hunt hogs. He is very successful and cuts down on wasted time checking empty fields.

I think we should be able to use them as we see fit without government interference. I also think that if you get in range of a 12 gauge with the drone, you got to close and tfb. But they will never ok random people firing into the air.

Based on how fast they move it will be hard to knock one down

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Get a RF jammer or build one (not hard) and put out few hundred watts in the 2.4 GHz to 5.8 GHz range and watch it lose all control. Very rare would you find one in the 900 MHz as that is in industrial wave length of drones i.e. agriculture, surveying and such. In the 1.2 GHz to 1.3GHz range is the advanced operators, researchers as like high altitude usage.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Get yourself a pet eagle, they hate drones on their territory, with a passion! Why, they even tackle ultralight aircraft!

The Dutch are training eagles to take down drones. Drone flying contraband and firearms into prisons are a problem, and terrorists use of drones is going to be a coming thing.

skyking1

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Someone took a video of that famous wedgetail eagle (they call him "Jack the Ripper") ploughing talons-first into the top surface of an ultralight wing - and bouncing off, as his talons couldn't grab anything, due to the smooth surface! Can't find that video now.

Have you seen the videos of the eagle swooping down from the mountains and grabbing a goat or sheep? The goat or sheep then falls off the ledge with the eagle hanging on for grim death! - rolling over and over and over, until they hit more level ground, and the rolling stops!

The eagle then flaps his wings to drag himself upright, and he's still got hold of the goat or sheep! He finally makes off with it, once it stops struggling!

We brought up a wedgetail eagle from a chick once. We were clearing (chaining) reasonably heavy timber and one of the big trees had an eagles nest in it, unbeknown to us. If we'd known it was there, we could've left that individual tree.

However, the tree came down and on the next round of the block, we spotted this eagle chick. He was about the size of a full-grown chicken, but only had a few feathers, so he couldn't fly.
Didn't have any trouble picking him up (we were looking out for Momma and Pop eagle! LOL), popped him into a sack and took him home.

You couldn't do this today because they're a protected species - but back in the early 1970's, they were declared vermin because farmers believed they took a lot of lambs.
But a good study later, showed the eagles rarely took lambs, and if they did it was usually only sick ones - and even then, not very often.
The researchers found the eagle nests mostly contained rabbit bones, and rat bones, and the bones of small marsupials.

So we made this eagle chick a "nest", and fed him up on bits of meat, and he very quickly developed more feathers, and started walking around like he owned the place!
The cats and dogs absolutely crapped themselves whenever they spotted him, and they went and hid!
He never ever attacked anyone or anything though, he wasn't in the least bit aggressive.

The SIL named him "Samson" because he was strong and fearless, which he surely was!
When he started to get full feathers, he'd walk outside the house yard area, and run up and down the main yard, with his wings fully extended, and practising his flying! What a great sight!

We had 5 acres on the outskirts of a small wheatbelt town, and the road past our place only had low levels of traffic.
So then came the day he took to the air and flew a short distance! Then he decided he'd fly outside the front yard regularly, over the road, and then perch on the 500mm (18") above-ground water pipeline that ran past our place.
He'd perch there nearly all day, then fly back into our yard in the late afternoon to get fed.
It was funny watching the few local motorists drive past when he was perched on the water main, they couldn't believe this eagle just sat there, watching them!

Then came the day a couple of months later when he flew off to soar around. He'd soar around the local area for a while, then come back and perch on the pipeline - then come in looking for a feed.
He did this for a couple more months, then the visits got less and less - and then one day he flew off, and he never returned! I trust he found a mate, and lived a long and enjoyable life!

cfherrman

Awesome story!

I'd refrain from using firearms as it can result in a felony, if you want to shoot it down stick with air power, it's legally different.

Might be fun to hit it with a rock or something

cw4Bray

The biggest problem with drones is they can't handle the strong "winds aloft" and blow away or get lost. When that happens the "return home" programming won't work - the wind just carries them farther away. It's possible your drone, was struggling in the wind and he reduced altitude to reduce the wind effect even though the operator was within line of sight of you.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My son is a surveyor, works for a large company who's primary business is a privately owned water & sewer company serving three small cities. They use a drone for legitimate, non sinister purposes. A drone can observe & measure in minutes what would take a great deal of time for people with equipment.

I hadn't considered the likelihood of invading privacy.

skyking1

@Willie B it is obvious when you are on the receiving end of it. When somebody is working a lot they run up and back on it, and face in the direction of travel.
When your arsehole neighbor with no filter and perhaps a death wish drops down over your property in the 125' trees seen here, and pokes around your place with it you feel violated.
Legit operators would not bother me and I would probably go bug them to see how it was going and look at the footage.
IMG-20190209-124038.jpg

IMG-20190209-123900.jpg

Many years ago before they were around, I helped a couple of brothers take photos of their acreage to map it for possible logging. I opened up the small window in the plane and he took pictures with a larger format film camera like a hasselblad.
L2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L21haW4vUy0wNzU3MDlfMDEuanBn_H_SH480_MW480.jpg

He did OK but I made that one last turn with his head down at the hole, and he had to chunder in the bag on the way back to the airport.

Last edited: