• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7F injection pump

Jchuff95

Need more info on where exactly do you see the leak/flow. The filter bleed valve is open to air when open. The drain line ties into the accessory housing drain line which would handle any leakage from between the seals in the transfer pump (also open to air).
From what you describe could be a faulty filter vent valve, leaks under pressure but not under gravity flow.
I don't see anything wrong with your new/old transfer pump. The extra port gets blocked off when mounted.a
A small 3/8 inch hole in accessory housing on bottom just below the hole when the transfer pump bolts to. No pipe or hose on it just a hole. If I open that valve I can put my finger over that hole and the flow stops. The flow is heavy when I turn the valve but a stead drip when starting. I even tried to bleed air from injectors only with hand pump and cranking like someone suggested above I believe. It popped of for 2 seconds then died. Went to crack injections lines again and had more air again. I feel like whatever is still leaking is where my air is possibly getting in at.

The old pump has the plugs on the sides one has a spring and plunger behind it and which the new one doesn’t have.

Thank you for the reply

Jchuff95

7S4430 is the pumps you should have and has the pressure relief valve that is necessary.
Also rebuilt the original one on machine (one in pic without hour meter) and made sure all seals were back where they were, but it was slightly stiff probably 90° then free the other 270°. All seals from gear to the hour meter changed except anything in pressure relief areas which I just cleaned up. They both had same outcome of leaking fuel from accessory housing. I brung old one home and thinking of disassembling again to see what I did wrong, only got any stiffness when both halves bolted back together.

Jchuff95

Can you get a picture of the actual leakage point on the accessory housing? There is more than one arrangement.
This is the picture I have and I also have a video of when I open the top valve I can share on link, give me just a min

Attachments

• IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

Jchuff95

the hole that is leaking is the area(bumped out area) just left of #8 in picture

Attachments

• IMG_6744.png
    IMG_6744.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 14

.RC.

A small 3/8 inch hole in accessory housing on bottom just below the hole when the transfer pump bolts to. No pipe or hose on it just a hole. If I open that valve I can put my finger over that hole and the flow stops. The flow is heavy when I turn the valve but a stead drip when starting. I even tried to bleed air from injectors only with hand pump and cranking like someone suggested above I believe. It popped of for 2 seconds then died. Went to crack injections lines again and had more air again. I feel like whatever is still leaking is where my air is possibly getting in at.

The old pump has the plugs on the sides one has a spring and plunger behind it and which the new one doesn’t have.

Thank you for the reply

You mean where the fuel drain hose is supposed to be screwed into?20240303_145721.jpg

Old Magnet

Yes, that's the accessory housing drain line I was referring to. Thanks.
I can't come up with any other source for leakage here other than leaking transfer pump seals.
Are you seeing any gain in main engine oil level? Something that would indicate fuel leakage past the injection pumps.

Jchuff95

Yes, that's the accessory housing drain line I was referring to. Thanks.
I can't come up with any other source for leakage here other than leaking transfer pump seals.
Are you seeing any gain in main engine oil level? Something that would indicate fuel leakage past the injection pumps.
The level was a little high… but it’s on a nasty incline blade downhill. Where could it leak at in injection pump? I replaced all seals and torqued them to spec that was in my manual? Could a bad gasket between accessory housing and injection pump cause this…?

but remember on crank I have fuel drip from same drain line/hole. I think I’m going to put a small line on that hole cause it always just runs to the timing gear cover goes down

Old Magnet

Thought about this some more. Did you run the new pump without the pressure relief valve? If so you may have blown a seal as the gear pump can produce considerable pressure especially when new.

Not likely the gasket between the pump and accessory housing would be a problem and any leakage at the filter to pump connection would be external.

Jchuff95

Thought about this some more. Did you run the new pump without the pressure relief valve? If so you may have blown a seal as the gear pump can produced considerable pressure especially when new.

Not likely the gasket between the pump and accessory housing would be a problem and any leakage at the filter to pump connection would be external.
Well I changed filter and screens once again, replaced transfer pump with one without reliefs then didn’t know if that valve was faulty or not so I purged air using the fuel guage line as it is on the top of filter housing by knob. Then bled air through the injector lines cracked at injectors themselves. Once bled I cranked it popped off and then died, I proceeded to do air bleed numerous times with no success.

On the pump I rebuilt I replaced all the seals that touched the main shaft, and the 2 orings on nose cone and both brass bearings. But it leaked the same through valve turn not sure if it did during cranking.

My question also is… does the Normal operation of the valve ontop used for bleeding air and is it supposed to drain fuel through the housing like it is?

Forgot to mention also is that I took the filter housing off completely where it’s just 3 holes. Turned the fuel on at tank and it poured out of one hole so I plugged hole with finger which I believe is after the transfer pump and I had no leak from accessory housing.

Old Magnet

If you don't see an external open drain line coming from the bleed valve on the filter housing then it is internally ported using the accessory drive housing and drain.

Jchuff95

If you don't see an external open drain line coming from the bleed valve on the filter housing then it is internally ported using the accessory drive housing and drain.
So to ask your opinion should I inspect the 4n4864(original I rebuilt) and reinstall?

And the only leak I should worry about on the accessories drive is if I’m cranking or hand pumping with valve shut correct?

Is it normal for these things to still have air in lines after purging air from all injectors cranking and cracking each one again…. Done it about 5 times wash and repeat

Old Magnet

Yes, re-install the original pump with the required pressure relief valve.
Yes on your second question.
It is not normal to have to do excessive bleeding of the injection system, seems you still have an air leak somewhere.
There should not be any leakage from the drain line so if it's leaking either the vent valve is faulty or the transfer pump seals are leaking.
Did you leak back check the new injection nozzles?

Last edited:

Jchuff95

What are you getting for fuel pressure?
Sorry I just seen this reply and I wasn’t getting anything on last day, but that would be the pump without relief and trying to remember if guage even worked before, I can take a guage with me though

I’m going back to work on it tomorrow usually 6-7 days apart is when I can go. I plugged the pump I rebuilt on outlet and put 4 psi regulated through it in input side, the nose one moved a bit but no leaks(filled with fuel).

So other than changing back to rebuilt pump and priming the crap out of it in the morning… where could an internal leak from the scroll pump into case be at?

I’m not sure if the level is a little high because of incline or fuel in oil, but I haven’t seen too many people saying where the injection pump could leak at?

The only external leaks I have found was the accessory housing which ONE was ruled out as a vent for bleed valve but I’ll have to check for leak while cranking tomorrow