• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins 855 questions

Truck Shop

Truck shop, they are telling me the issue is fuel in the engine oil. Injection pump seal? Can you give me some direction on this? TIA
Fuel pump main shaft seals, injector cups, injector 0-rings, cracked cylinder head, injector it self.
Those are the main issues and the normal issues. Although on a old engine like that it could be
a combination. Age. Best I can tell you from memory and my memory in some cases ain't too
good.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Well I got to see the engine today. I had some dye with me and planned on going that route until we got talking and he mentioned that they needed to add coolant every time they ran it. Hmm. Topped off the water and pressure tested the cooling system. Wouldn’t hold pressure and we could hear a hissing noise. This particular application has a cooled exhaust manifold. Loosen up the bolts and water ran out of the manifold. Removed it, capped off the holes, filled it with water and put the air to it. Quickly found a crack. They had a parts book and we found a number. Googled it and found a place in Alabama that built them for $3200. then they showed me the old engine oil. Chocolate milkshake.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
If it is a legally required fire pump it may not be possible to repower it without getting it re-engineered which is not going to happen. So rebuild or total replacement are the only option and total replacement requires re-engineering anyway and the lead time can be years to get one built and installed.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had that issue at the Nuke, Fire Pumps, Backup Emergency Building Generators, had one 12V92(Siamese 6Vs, three SC Cummins two on fire one genny, and one KT series on a genny.

chidog

I'm lost on this one. Thread started in Jan 22, is this engine running yet? I thought it was needed for a fire system ? Went through this pretty fast and likely missed something.

Old OMC outboards? Never had problems with them but then I liked working on them, as a youngster.