• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 311B Final Drive

RobMonk

I recently purchased a Cat 311B knowing full well that it had a broken final drive. The ouside part of the casing had a big hole in it but the price was right based on some prices I had to replace it so I bought the machine. The problem i am having now is that I am getting conflicting information about what final drives will fit on the machine. One place told me that the final off of a 312 would fit another place told me the part# was 102-6433 (final for 315 from my research) and my own searching has come up with part# 114-1528. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? This is my first excavator purchase and I was shocked how insufficent part catologuing is compared to other motor vehicles. I am trying to avoid spending a small fortune on something that simply will not work, any advice would be a help.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There are 3 prefixes of 311B - 2LS, 8GR, & 9MR. No idea which one your machine is but no matter, all of them use the same Final Drive Group and that is a 114-1528.

The Part Number 102-6433 that you were given fits 315 & 317 excavators plus some special arrangements of 312, so it is not correct for your machine. However sometines "will fit's" exist that are not listed in Parts Manuals. I don't think that's the case here because comparing the individual parts of 102-6433 & 114-1528 they are totally different, right down to the case, so I would doubt that a 102-6433 would fit your machine.

Your comment about parts cataloguing amazes me, because in my experience there is more Parts & Service info available for Cat machines than for any other brand on the market. Where exactly are you looking..?

RobMonk

8GR is the answer but in any event thank you for the response. That makes my part search a bit more interesting. Any idea where to look for a replacement for that final drive? I have been looking around and have found some but I am just curious if you know from experience where to look?

Perhaps I am not finding the catlogue I should be looking at. I am used to finding parts for my motorcycle or car by using diagrams under various headings, is there a wibsite like that I havent managed to find?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Sorry, can't help you on where to find a replacement final drive or the parts to rebuild one.

Drop into your local Cat dealer and ask them to show you SIS-web, the on-line resource for all Cat's Parts & Service Information .....

Lee-online

The 8GR 311b uses the 114-1528 final and the 114-1527 is the group with the final and motor.
It may be cheaper to rebuild the final and getting the parts should be easier.

311 are not a common machine so used parts will be tough to find unless they are used on other machines.