• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 304 question

icex

I may be buying a used 2005 cat 304cr excavator. It has a canopy. Is there anyway to put a cab on it? Perhaps buy the windows and door for it and install it? Or do you have to buy the machine with a cab already on it? I was just wondering if anyone has done this before.. its a good deal on the machine so I may be getting it.. $28,000 for it, 584 hours, but has a canopy..

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I may be buying a used 2005 cat 304cr excavator. It has a canopy. Is there anyway to put a cab on it? Perhaps buy the windows and door for it and install it? Or do you have to buy the machine with a cab already on it? I was just wondering if anyone has done this before.. its a good deal on the machine so I may be getting it.. $28,000 for it, 584 hours, but has a canopy..

Thats not that great of a deal. You could pay the same amount and get a cab. Go to Ironplanet.com and search and see what they go for at auction. Most are CAT rental machines.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums icex! :drinkup

icex

Thanks Countryboy.

KSSS: That doesent answer my question. And it is a good deal as the machine is in good shape with minimal scratchs and little to no damage on the body of the machine, and it's a low hour machine. A brannd new 304 goes for about $50,000 to $60,000. But, can you add a cab to a canopy?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Thanks Countryboy.

KSSS: That doesent answer my question. And it is a good deal as the machine is in good shape with minimal scratchs and little to no damage on the body of the machine, and it's a low hour machine. A brannd new 304 goes for about $50,000 to $60,000. But, can you add a cab to a canopy?

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/164551?h=400,byAuctionResults/2,ModUserView

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/163560?h=400,byAuctionResults/2,ModUserView

My point is if you look you could find exactly what you want for the money your willing to spend. Mini excavators depreciate rapidly it really does not matter what they cost new. You cant convert a canopy to cab unit to better answer your question. You can get vinyl wrap arounds for a canopy if that suits you.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Icex,
Adding a cab is probably doable but what KSSS is trying to say is the cost of adding the cab plus the original purchase price of the machine will be more expensive than just finding another machine with a cab.

Also that price sounds like a dealer list price. You could help yourself out some by checking around. I checked Machinery Trader and pulled this page for general information on your unit. I don't know how the formating will show up but the info is in here.

MachineryTrader.com
You Searched For: Manufacturer = CATERPILLAR; Model = 304; Year From = 2005; Year To = 2005; Country = USA; Listed Since = 8/29/2007
Auction Results Prices For Sale Prices
Total number of listings found: 7 10
Highest price found: US $29,000 US $44,500
Lowest price found: US $19,500 US $28,000
Average price: US $24,071 US $35,050
Average price w/out High & Low: US $24,000 US $34,750

Here is an at-a-glance view of current "quick sale", auction prices, and also current asking, or "retail", prices.
We have done computations on both "Equipment For Sale" & "Auction Results" listings for the type of equipment you specified. Above you see the average price found, the highest & lowest prices, and the average price computed again after throwing out the highest & lowest prices. For clarification, we've also displayed the number of listings on which the computations were performed. (NOTE: Items without a price have been omitted from the calculations.)

icex

I appreciate the input and all but this is probaly the machine we're going to get. Besides, dad hauls for them (yes their a dealer), so we can get servicing and stuff done on it if need be, and we can finance it through them. It does look like you can install a cab on it, but I'm not sure. I'll post some pictures later if I think of it.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I appreciate the input and all but this is probaly the machine we're going to get. Besides, dad hauls for them (yes their a dealer), so we can get servicing and stuff done on it if need be, and we can finance it through them. It does look like you can install a cab on it, but I'm not sure. I'll post some pictures later if I think of it.

I have never heard of anyone doing that. Given what an EROPS costs for excavators I think it would be hugely cost prohibative to say nothing of all the other components you would need ie. heat and AC unit if so equiped. All it would take would be talking to the service department of the CAT store (I am assuming) your dad works for. I think the cost would floor you if it is even doable. Hope it works for you. Sounds like your set on buying this machine.

T_S_S

Occupation
Owner , Total Site Solutions
305 cr with 500 hours with cab and twist wrist went for 27000 at ritchies i would deff shop around thats not a deal, or just show the dealer the comparables, im sure he has a fair bit of room to move the price.