• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case580SK brake noise

raystewart

I have a case 580 sk turbo 4wd
when I apply the brakes there is a noise like gears not meshing properly any one know what the cause might be
I have only gust got delivery of this machine
it has 10,250 hours on it
just dont want it use it if there is going to be damage done that can be prevented

raystewart

the brakes work well the peddle is high
and it doesnt sound like bare shoes rubbing
more as if a spline gear is rotating in its mating part
i was talking to an operator and he told me there are ball bearings in there that could make that noise
but i dont have any diagram etc to conferm that
anyone have an exploded diagramme on this?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
welcome raystewart,
Does the noise happen as soon as you hit the brake pedal, or does it happen just before the machine comes to a stop?
If it has the wrong oil in it, brakes will be noisey. It may pay to drain the oil & check the suction screen for any signs of damage & if OK fill with proper oil & filter.
I've always used Case Hy-trans Ultra + wet brake additive x 3.

It may have problems other than brakes - try raising the machine in the air & turning the rear wheels by hand....... is there any movement (end float) at the axles?
Either way the suction screen should tell the story.

Last edited:

AU.CASE

Occupation
Grazier // Rancher remote NSW
Hey raystewart you have come to the right place for info' and alrman is one of the gurus for Case equipment. ;)

Take care with the brakes and make sure they are using TCH / Hytrans in the master cylinder / hydraulic system, not :( DOT-4 as sometimes happens.

Keep us up to date on how you get on, the Super K is brilliant machine, have had mine for a year today (my Wife reminded me "today is a year since you signed the cheque for the backhoe") still had lunch heated so things aren't too bad! :D

There is some stuff here about brakes.

raystewart

the break fluid would appear to be an oil rather than dot4 and as the machine has had only 1 owner from new who told me he has done all the serveses themselves my guess is it is the correct oils in everything after all he did use it for 10250hours
i lifted the rear off the ground and there doesnot appear to be any axil or radial play
the wheals can be turned by one hand but dont run on
the noise appears when almost stoped and does not seem to make it when driven and breaked while they are elevated off the ground
the screen i have not yet removed
I checked those 4 boults after reading about the diff that fell out they are fine
i have to say there a lot of grease nipples on these machines luckely only one was broken frontrear tail shaft very hard to drill out and retap but it is done now
(as for the wife she is away so will face that issue tomorrow apon her return)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
hi raystewart. We're not there to hear the noise, so it's kinda hard for us to give you good directions. But I have to concur with what alrman said, these machines are very particular about the oil in the transaxle. I have worked on these machines that had a terrible brake chatter just before the machine comes to a stop if you used any oil other than Case Hy Trans and wet brake additive. Can't say that will fix your problem, only know these machines are prone to brake chatter if oil/additives aren't correct.

AU.CASE

Occupation
I've always used Case Hy-trans Ultra + wet brake additive x 3.

Hey alrman, hi!

Would you recommend Hy-Trans Ultra also for the Hydraulics on my 580SK?

I want to do a full fluid change after Winter now that most jobs are done and the machine is in work.

My plan is to have as few bulk oils as possible and we buy in 205L as its sometimes cheaper.

Cheers! :)

Attachments

• EOM-Fencing-Dam.Causeway-290411-DSC08668.jpg
    EOM-Fencing-Dam.Causeway-290411-DSC08668.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

raystewart

will do full service before using machine to much as i figure it will be a good investment
can some one give a list of oils filters etc as i dont have a manual yet
and i will have to order parts possible they will take a couple of weeks to get to me
is the motor a cummings in these as it look like one?

AU.CASE

Occupation
will do full service before using machine to much as i figure it will be a good investment
can some one give a list of oils filters etc as i dont have a manual yet
and i will have to order parts possible they will take a couple of weeks to get to me

CASE Online parts surfer click here.

alrman suggested to me to source parts from the U.S. up to 60% cheaper, I use Finneycorp 100% success, ten day delivery.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Hey alrman, hi!

Would you recommend Hy-Trans Ultra also for the Hydraulics on my 580SK?

I want to do a full fluid change after Winter now that most jobs are done and the machine is in work.

My plan is to have as few bulk oils as possible and we buy in 205L as its sometimes cheaper.

Cheers! :)

With hydraulic oil best to use a 68 grade. It works fine & is cheaper than Hy-trans.
I only use Hy-Trans in axles with wet brakes.

Those padocks don't look any greener after all the rain - old pics?

Last edited:

AU.CASE

Occupation
With hydraulic oil best to use a 68 grade. It works fine & is cheaper than Hy-trans.
I only use Hy-Trans in axles with wet brakes.

Those padocks don't look any greener after all the rain - old pics?

Thanks alrman, will look at a 205 of 68, would suit my 1150D too!

Autumn here is normally like this, there is a large body of feed and its head dries into Winter, leaving a good shelter for short leaves and other forage underneath.

Yes you are right 2010 was record, 56". :D

Fires have been a problem where people are careless - just last weekend.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Most of the tractor back end oils/transmission fluids now have anti squeak swalk additives but I agree with Atco hytran is the best.........