• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case cx290 loses power and shows elec problem

jimmymc04

Recently bought 2006 cx290 and after we moved it to a job machine would lug down and die if you put to in a bind tracking or working the stick. It would also intermittently show elec problem and go into limp mode. It's getting fuel and has all new filters. Had case come out and they adjusted regulators on the pump so it doesn't stall out now but it's sloooow. They said it needed hydraulic pump but I'm not in the mood to start replacing parts on their thoughts. Any ideas?

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Hey Jim cx290 or cx290b sounds like engine performance if the pumps still responsed to adjusting regulators. Need to check fuel pressure and watch engine rpm. Also list codes. To pull codes just hold two buttons on right panel can't remember witch's ones with out sitting in seat. I'f you search case excavator threads there's instructions.

jimmymc04

Only active code was 0115 which case said was a crank sensor. Replaced it still no good. Case came out last week and adjusted regulators on pump but it would not show electric problem while he was there. Next day electric problem came back and now it's missing blowing smoke and will barely run. Case was there 3 hours and I got a bill for $1700 and now it's worse. He said he checked all fuel pressures and they were good. Codes showing since case worked on it are 0115,0611,0146,0108,0114,0119,0126
Thanks for any help

bartelbe

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Technician
0115 , no engine speed detected at engine speed sensor
0611, hot shutdown error
0146, coolant temp sensor /EPF
0108, 0114,0119 &0126 all have no definitions i can check out more on this . Troubleshooting this can get tough and the eletrical failure mess is proabley the most lengthy to diagnose. I will comment more but days getting blurred so will pick this back up tomorrow time permitting. In the meantime you can check the fuel pump relay for the vp44 power supply, came across a bulletin that gave symptoms similar to yours.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Is this a cx290 or cx290b? Cummins or Isuzu engine?
Fault codes 0108, 0114,0119 &0126 don't appear to be good codes. What screen are you getting them from?

As mentioned above, check the vp44 relay, or just jump it, pin 30 to 87.
"good" fuel pressure is not a "good" answer. For what they charged you, they should at least have some pressure readings for you. Need to measure fuel primer pressure with engine under load.
When your machine is acting up, check your battery voltage. I had one where the alternator failed, and sent 36volts out. Caused some funny stuff to happen.

jimmymc04

I have replaced vp44 relay, cam and crank sensor, boost sensor, New turbo, New fuel pump, hyd pressure sensors and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Alt shows 27-28 volts constantly. I think he said 10psi on fuel pressure but I'm not sure. Yea something besides saying my hyd pump was bad in the first 10 min I don't know what he could have done to make it run so bad. Case said there was no engine problem then 4 hrs after they leave it started running terribly. The hot shutdown I don't get because it's never been hot, but it will do some strange things. Two weeks ago it flashed low oil pressure. Shut it down couldn't find a problem so installed a manual gauge that's showing75psi.

jimmymc04

So I talked to case mechanic today and he said it showed 10 psi under load. I haven't checked it since it started these new problems. It's a straight cx290 with a Cummins and it only has 4k hours. 0115 code came from diag 1. The rest came from diag 3&6. When you say jump pin 30 to 87 which ones are you talking about. I've got another mechanic coming to look at it but he's booked up for a while so I'm on my own for now. I've been so busy on other jobs that I haven't been able to focus on it so I called the dealer. I don't care to do that again and I think you guys on here know a substantial amount more than what they do. I bought this machine for the job it's on and now we're at a standstill. Any ideas or direction to look is greatly appreciated

GaryHoff

Occupation
ok that makes more sense. Diag 3 is the hour meter reading of the fault codes in Diag 2. Diag 6 is the hour readings of the faults from diag 5.
Diag 1 is active faults. We will focus on that for now.

115 is a typo in the service manual. It is in relation to the engine crank speed sensor. You need to resolve this issue first.
The engine speed/position sensor is located on the intake side of the engine block, between cylinders 4 and 5.
You need 5v at pin A (at the sensor)
Check continuity from the sensor to the plug 2 at the ecm. (plug 2 is the right side plug)
pin c from sensor to pin 17 ecm, pin b sensor to pin 18 ecm, and pin a sensor to pin 8 ecm.

Clear all your fault codes. Then when the machine acts up, check active faults that are in diag 1.

Last edited:

jimmymc04

Thanks Gary. I'll be out of town on a job tomorrow but I'll try this on Sun evening when I get it and let you know. After I replaced the crank sensor it was still missing and smoking but no longer had a code in diag screen 1

GaryHoff

Occupation
So there is no active fault codes when the machine acts up? Was it a heavy white/grey smoke?
As I mentioned, clear all the fault codes, in all the screens. Then check when the machine acts up. Even if there is no faults, that will still tell us something.
Does your machine have a air shut off valve?
Once the machine is acting up, does it run normal again if you shut it off and re-start?

jimmymc04

Yes heavy white grey smoke and no active fault codes when it acts up. Fault code quit when I changed crank sensor. It ran good for 5-6 min after I changed it then started running as bad or worse than before. I don't know about air shutdown off valve what is it. My operator said it might run good for a while but it will get bad then he kills it for ten minutes and might get better might not. It was running so bad that i had him shutdown it down and get on the rake tractor before the motor scattered. It would hardly track itself back to fuel trailer it was so weak. Thanks for any help

GaryHoff

Occupation
This means you have a fuel issue, or a power issue to the injection pump. I would recommend checking the following:
1. Check the fuses in the battery area for corrosion. Replace/clean as needed.
2. Check power at the vp44 relay at pin 30, and 87. Do this with the machine running, and back probe the connector. Advise on results

If the above is ok, check this next:
3. Re-check your fuel primer pressure.
4. Monitor your boost pressure.
5. Try running with the boost pressure sensor unplugged.

Does it still say electrical fault when its acting up? Make sure you do all the checks in H mode.

This is a air shut off valve. It shuts off intake air to the engine, for a emergency shut down. http://www.rodadeaco.com/gallery/view Its very common for any equipment that is in the oil field.

Last edited:

jimmymc04

Sorry hit post on accident. I haven't been able to get to the machine we've had 8" of rain this week. Hopefully it'll be dry enough Mon I can get to the machine and check it out

jimmymc04

Finally got a few days without rain so I went to check out what Gary told me to do. While on my way out there operator called me and said it was running great. Ran it all day long without any problems. Guess I'll just have to wait until it does again, which I'm sure it will