• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580 ck backhoe oil in water issues

Diggerdozer

Occupation
Financial adviser, from simple straight forward fi
quote "I asked him if they pressure tested it and he says, no we never do and have never had one leak"

that is unusual for them not to check , hopefully there is a another place nearby you can use
in our town we have one only and the closest is 130 kms away

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Contrary to most cooler systems 580 series of that design DO carry full system pressure through the Shuttle oil cooler. Most modern systems cool return oil so it would be at low pressure as cooler flow returns directly to sump.

A closer examination will show that the main system hydraulic oil is not cooled on this machine unless someone has added a external cooler to support heavy hydraulic loads which cause excess heat.

Diggerdozer

Occupation
I went to the radiator place , dropped it off, rang back latter that day they said it would $600 to find out anything.
I went to go pick it up to have it tested elsewhere , as they had not tested the trans cooler ( happy to put their fresh coat of paint and stickers all over it after a heated discussion they agreed to test it for zip , found the brass cooler had a crack around the top hat where it is welded onto the outside cylinder, cooler has two cylinders one inside the other. The top hat is threaded internally to be soldered into the bottom tank and pokes through tank wall to accept the transmission oil lines in and out,

Cracks also around in solder where top cats anchored into tank .

the core is excellent but now they want $200 up front to have a go at soldering the top hat crack before reinstalling.
It appears the lines when connected , by my self or a mate helping we were over zealous in tightening, any way I have found a car radiator place in town is prepared to do it ,( they service car radiators only) and is confident he can repair, if by some remote chance He cant , He wont charge to have go so I am off to pick up my radiator, on previous experience it will be a fight, they will argue no guarantees and as you cant buy the coolers or radiators new any more , and so does that help me fix my issue ............ well Case IH have one complete unit in stock NOS for A$1650 and they stated the ones we can get via the internet from the USA are substandard , under speced no guarantees etc

Amazing poor service and an attitude that is woeful , but the only commercial place for 120 kms

I will pay for the stripdown ie 2 hrs then have it repaired elsewhere , out of curiosity does any one know where I could get a new transmission cooler ,

Diggerdozer

Occupation
Contrary to most cooler systems 580 series of that design DO carry full system pressure through the Shuttle oil cooler. Most modern systems cool return oil so it would be at low pressure as cooler flow returns directly to sump.

A closer examination will show that the main system hydraulic oil is not cooled on this machine unless someone has added a external cooler to support heavy hydraulic loads which cause excess heat.

Hi Melben , yes it is only a transmission cooler , on another note I had often thought there was excessive condensation build up in my transmission as the dip stick showed a milky composition , albeit for 4 months of year it can be quite humid in Central Queensland here , I changed the oil a number of times , it would return eventually but understand I would need to pull down the transmission to fully clean out any water/oil residual mix ???

shawneecat

Occupation
Retired
Probably, could be, an o ring went bad they do not last forever, on wet sleeve's, I got same problem water in the oil on 580ck! Looking to buy kit from agkits.com looks about the cheapest.

Last edited:

Diggerdozer

Occupation
I don't have water in oil I have oil in water , my sump is fine.

Update , I found a radiator business in Gladstone 100 km south of me , that say they will fix it easily, after the second guy I had lined up in Rockhampton took one look and threw his hands in the air.
we are going to drop a piston out to get bearing size , rings and replace all.

Head has been sorted , then it will be to look at brakes checking the drain hole and the end cap

shawneecat

Occupation
Retired
Probably, could be, an o ring went bad they do not last forever, on wet sleeve's, I got same problem water in the oil on 580ck! Looking to buy kit from agkits.com looks about the cheapest.

In a hurry read it backwards.