• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucket Pin Question

quo_vadis

You said the dipper was different on the 590SL compared to the 580B. I assumed you were trying to get the bucket to fit the machine?
I'm sorry, I didn't know what you meant by ears until I googled it. If the ears were cut off from the back of the 24" Case bucket and welded onto the back of the non-Case 38" bucket, it might work but I'm not sure how the welds would hold up. And the back of the 38" bucket is much shorter than the Case bucket so it would take extensive modding. And the bucket would have to sit level. You don't want to dig graves with a crooked bucket. I'm not sure it's worth it financially to try it. The ground at our cemetery is mostly hard clay and rock, so there's a lot of stress put on the bucket. We are a nonprofit cemetery and were fortunate to have an unusually good year donation-wise to buy the backhoe.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
No problem. I was just throwing ideas out there in case it was helpful or to give you other options. I have dug plenty of holes in the area and I am familiar with running the older 3 and 4 stick hoes.

Just an FYI, we always appreciate pictures of custom work. Gives us something to do while sipping coffee and arm chair quarter backing. :D

quo_vadis

No problem. I was just throwing ideas out there in case it was helpful or to give you other options. I have dug plenty of holes in the area and I am familiar with running the older 3 and 4 stick hoes.

Just an FYI, we always appreciate pictures of custom work. Gives us something to do while sipping coffee and arm chair quarter backing. :D
Cool. I contacted TD Fabricating and Welding through their site to get their perspective.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm the president and former superintendent of a nonprofit cemetery. When I started working there in the mid-90's we had a 1970 International Loader Backhoe 2050 that had a 38" wide cemetery backhoe bucket. This was nice since conventional concrete vaults were 36" wide and the 38" bucket gave us some extra wiggle room. In the mid-2000's the engine blew up on the International backhoe and we bought a used Case 580B but it had an 18" bucket. We wanted to use this 38" bucket with it, but it would not fit. So I had someone retrofit it. Now we are getting a newer Case backhoe also with an 18" bucket and want to use the 38" bucket, but the pin couldn't be pounded out and our new superintendent had to cut the pin in order to remove the bucket. I cannot find online a pin that looks like it will fit this bucket. The hole is threaded on one side (seen in the picture) and the other side's hole is larger like in most backhoe buckets. Can anyone give me some insight please.
Caution:
Case uses non standard pin diameters. I had to cut .015" off a standard pin to fit new bushings from Case. Conequip is where I'd start my search.
Conequip I vaguely remember offered custom pin manufacturing.
A company in North West VT I'll have to research, will make pins, bushings & heat treat. A cemetery might do without heat treated pins, Any competent machinist can do.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
No reason you can't dig a grave with a digging bucket. A grave bucket curls out more so you can dig a vertical wall at the head. Might be exactly width for a very clean trench. Some use a frame the exact size & cut the sod first.
A cemetery bucket might be quicker to dig a trim hole.
Every competent welder can weld ears on a bucket that won't break. The magic is placing them where both pins are absolutely parallel. They could be perfect before the weld & not aligned after. In that there is risk.
Changing from older Case to newer Case you need bigger pins & different width.

Welder Dave

A good welder or fab shop could weld the ears so the pins line up. Leaving the pins in the holes and having a proper width spacer between the ears would be a simple way. Then using a proper welding technique so the welds don't pull in one direction should do the trick. Keep checking the pins slide easily when welding and weld on the appropriate side of the ear(s) to keep the pins sliding easily.

Welder Dave

You should have had TD Fab. do the welding as well. It's hard to even tell what type of welding that is. I'd guess self-shielded flux-core but obviously done by someone without enough experience.

Delmer

I wouldn't be caught dead around welding like that. That's ugly enough to make some people roll over in their graves:)

If it holds it's fine. I doubt you'll have any trouble, or care about resale value.

quo_vadis

I wouldn't be caught dead around welding like that. That's ugly enough to make some people roll over in their graves:)

If it holds it's fine. I doubt you'll have any trouble, or care about resale value.
So far so good.

If I had a dime for every time someone made a cemetery reference to me....

Welder Dave

A fabrication shop did that mess and called it welding? That's totally unacceptable. There is no excuse for a mess like that from a shop that is supposedly a welding and fabrication shop. I would have had them redo it but by a welder competent enough to do a professional job.