• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucket Pin Question

quo_vadis

I'm the president and former superintendent of a nonprofit cemetery. When I started working there in the mid-90's we had a 1970 International Loader Backhoe 2050 that had a 38" wide cemetery backhoe bucket. This was nice since conventional concrete vaults were 36" wide and the 38" bucket gave us some extra wiggle room. In the mid-2000's the engine blew up on the International backhoe and we bought a used Case 580B but it had an 18" bucket. We wanted to use this 38" bucket with it, but it would not fit. So I had someone retrofit it. Now we are getting a newer Case backhoe also with an 18" bucket and want to use the 38" bucket, but the pin couldn't be pounded out and our new superintendent had to cut the pin in order to remove the bucket. I cannot find online a pin that looks like it will fit this bucket. The hole is threaded on one side (seen in the picture) and the other side's hole is larger like in most backhoe buckets. Can anyone give me some insight please.

Attachments

• 20221112_124039a.jpg
    20221112_124039a.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 87

Delmer

I would go to a local machinist and look through his scrap barrel for a damaged hydraulic cylinder rod of the right diameter, then have him weld a tab on one end to bolt to your bucket to keep it fixed. If it was already threaded on one end, he could use that also. No scrap available, he can order the proper material if he doesn't have it. Just have to find the friendly machinist, not everyone cares to work with small customers.

I would guess the original pin was custom made with the bucket. And if it was an IH item, then it's even more rare.

heymccall

I dunno where you're at in Pennsylvania, but, I've used Tazgo machine in Templeton Pa for lots of odd and weird conversion bucket pins. Super reasonable and usually has all the round bar in stock.
I've had middles turned down, top hat bushings made, and a few that have three different steps in them.

quo_vadis

I would go to a local machinist and look through his scrap barrel for a damaged hydraulic cylinder rod of the right diameter, then have him weld a tab on one end to bolt to your bucket to keep it fixed. If it was already threaded on one end, he could use that also. No scrap available, he can order the proper material if he doesn't have it. Just have to find the friendly machinist, not everyone cares to work with small customers.

I would guess the original pin was custom made with the bucket. And if it was an IH item, then it's even more rare.

I dunno where you're at in Pennsylvania, but, I've used Tazgo machine in Templeton Pa for lots of odd and weird conversion bucket pins. Super reasonable and usually has all the round bar in stock.
I've had middles turned down, top hat bushings made, and a few that have three different steps in them.

Thanks for the replies. I'm in Clearfield which is about 2hrs away from Templeton. I could probably find someone local to do it. Here's a pic of what the pin looked like before. In the first pic it looks like there's a round outline that maybe could be taken out with a blow torch and then a pin could fit through there.

Attachments

• 20180305_122441a.jpg
    20180305_122441a.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 75

quo_vadis

I don't see anything unusual about that pin.
It is the same style pin that is on my Case 680 bucket.
The side with the threaded hole is missing a bolt and washer that prevents it from sliding out.
The side with the snap ring would be the side to drive the pin out.
Oh ok. That odd looking black thing was a bolt. No wonder it couldn't have been pounded out. Ugh. I wish I would've thought of that and told him to try to twist it out.

Tinkerer

All I saw was a bolt hole. Remove the snap ring and pound the pin out. No twisting should be required.
But that pin looks extremely dry from lack of lubrication. It will be tough to drive it out. Don't go crazy and swell the pin form too much pounding on it.

Delmer

The old pin is already cut though, right? If there's a Case pin that will work, that will be cheaper and easier, if the pin came from JD or CAT, it would still be easier, but not cheaper.

quo_vadis

All I saw was a bolt hole. Remove the snap ring and pound the pin out. No twisting should be required.
But that pin looks extremely dry from lack of lubrication. It will be tough to drive it out. Don't go crazy and swell the pin form too much pounding on it.
The first pic shows the bolt removed. The second pic that I posted a few posts up shows what it looked like before. The bucket is off now.

quo_vadis

The old pin is already cut though, right? If there's a Case pin that will work, that will be cheaper and easier, if the pin came from JD or CAT, it would still be easier, but not cheaper.
Yes it's out and I'm waiting for him to text me a pic of the whole pin including what he cut so I can try to figure out what I need to do. I might just need a long bolt.

Welder Dave

If the bosses on the bucket are the same size can you just have a pin made that has holes for large cotter pins on each side? My backhoe has pins like that. Could weld a larger dia. thick washer on one end too.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Also in the clearfield area. Try T&D fabricating in town. Ive sent them pdfs and they have cut everything perfectly. They are a fab shop and should be able to help or point you in the right direction. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway.

https://www.tdfabandweld.com/

quo_vadis

Update: We just got the backhoe last Friday and yesterday I went up and helped him try to get this bucket on but it won't fit. The dipper on the 590SL is much different than the one on the 580B and is about 5/8" shorter in width. So now we're trying to find a decent used 36" bucket that works with the Case 590SL. In the meantime he'll dig 38" wide graves with the supplied 24" bucket. Thanks again for your input.

In case someone is seeing this for the first time, the 38" grave bucket was originally on our 1970 International Backhoe and was slightly modified to fit the 1974 Case 580B CK. It was not a Case bucket.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Did you price out getting the ear moved or a bushing fabbed up? That might work in the mean time till you can find a bucket.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
You said the dipper was different on the 590SL compared to the 580B. I assumed you were trying to get the bucket to fit the machine?