• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

dirty4fun

While most of this is pretty new to me it just makes me feel sick inside seeing what was a good usable truck torn apart, for no good reason. Reducing it to a pile of scrap, that just rusts into the ground. It must about tear your hearts out seeing this, since you grew up in the hay day days of the timber industry. Over the weekend I went to an antique farming and tractor show. To see so many old tractors, steam engines, and equipment is always special. Some are just sitting there after being rebuilt and painted up better than new. Others were out harvesting, running old equipment, that dates back to the 1800's to early 1900's. A few still had the original wood instead of tin construction. They even had four old tractors hooked together with flat belts, then hooked to the fan that lets them put a load on the tractors. Seeing three of them running two flat belts at the same time, was sure a sight to see. They have an old saw mill being run by a steam engine and flat belt, working. It has a 4' circular blade with replaceable teeth. All manual adjustment and log turning is done by hand and cant hooks. It is a great show with so many old machines being used, and only 8 miles from my place.

HDX

Hi Jim Yes you are so right. Sounds like you are keeping yourself busy. If nothing else at least there will be a recorded history of some stuff from a time when things were very different. Got lots more pictures that I took over the years of trucks and equipment. Will post stuff as things pop up

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Personally I hate seeing stuff like that....Thankfully there are people wondering around the island with diesel pickups who scoop up what they can and stash it all away....Cheers

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Hello HDX

Please excuse my ignorance but what is meant by "pre-loads"? And how does it work.

I really do appreciate the time and effort you blokes go to in preserving the history of your industry in photographs and of course the renovation of some of the machinery.

Cheers.

dirty4fun

Yair . . .

Hello HDX

Please excuse my ignorance but what is meant by "pre-loads"? And how does it work.

I really do appreciate the time and effort you blokes go to in preserving the history of your industry in photographs and of course the renovation of some of the machinery.

Cheers.

Hope this helps till one of the people on this site can give you a better more accurate description, of a preloader. If my memory serves me right, it is a truck that is set up to drop it's trailer off at the landing to have it loaded. After dropping that trailer off it picks up a loaded trailer, and takes it to the DLS, where it is unloaded and returned to the landing and exchanged for the loaded trailer. Seems like a great way to get more timber hauled per day, as the driver isn't sitting there waiting to be loaded every load. Hope this helps, my head is working to well due to having a headache for the last 17 days straight. So far no relief to speak of, after going to the hospital and local doctor. The way I feels this morning I will be headed back again today.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Gotcha dirty4fun

I rather imagined that to be the case but the actual method of how it is done intrigues me . . . I have never seen a picture of a trailer being loaded except when attached to the truck. . . trust you get on top of your medical problems soon.

Cheers.

dirty4fun

Went back to the hospital to find out why I have such a headache. They took an MRI this time. Next thing I know the nurses were securing me me to the bed with wires, an I V and blankets. Blood clot on the brain, very small thou. Got a nice ride in an ambulance to see a neurosurgeon. He wants to wait, and try chemicals, to remove it. Will know in a day or two, he sounded like I would be home in a few days. Sure hope so.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Jim,please stay on top of this. Do not rush release from hospital I lost friend In May,his wife in Sep,and brother-in-law who was only 55, just one week ago.keep us posted

Blk prince

Occupation
Scrub puller in Post 1757 the first pic. Shows preload trailer. See the legs behind the front bunk? There is a hydraulic ram on the truck. This raise the trailer up. Driver lifts the two stiff legs,removes pin holding leg off the ground. Then the leg swings straight up and down. Pin goes back in and the two ,one on each side hold the front of trailer as truck pulls out from under loaded or empty trailer. I will look for more pics and send you info as where to look.

Blk prince

Occupation
Scrub puller,there are also several different ways of loading preload trailers. Go to Post 1757 the 3 rd picture and you will see one style. Go to Post 1771all pictures and this is a Conventional style. A machine is required to lift this trailer off for loading and another machine is needed for loading trailer back on. As I or another fine fellow comes across the previous pictures,we will send you to them. Are you finding any of this helpful?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

First off dirty4fun.Don't rush things mate. I have to say when you said seventeen days of headache it stirred some alarm bells within me.

I knew a bloke here who had similar experience a few years back, he was finally diagnosed with a tiny bleed/stroke.

All went well and he went onto medication, saw him just the other day tooling around on a nice new Yammy 'cruiser. (big grin)

Blk prince. Thanks so much for taking the time to point stuff out. I don't have time now to study the pictures you have indicated out but I will have a look in the wee hours of the morning when my connection works a little faster.

Cheers.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Hang in there Jim biggest challenge is figuring out the problem , now that you know whats going on , you can beat it .
scan1014.jpgscan1015.jpg Scrub Puller here are a couple of pictures showing a loader loading an old style preload trailer without the truck (unfortunately picture dosen't show front of trailer) and empty trailer on ground that will be set up after the truck leaves with loaded trailer , using a system that involves the log loader . On these older style BCFP preload trailers , the loader is used to unload trailer off truck .

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Scrub Puller the next pictures show a new style BCFP preloader loading its own empty trailer using a winch system mounted scan1016.jpgscan1017.jpgscan1018.jpgscan1019.jpgscan1020.jpgon top of water tank , 3rd picture is a preloader with its trailer loaded . 4th picture is what we call a conventional logging truck with its trailer loaded piggy back .

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Thanks fellers, its starting to sink in.

Logging trailer configurations always fascinate me.

We don't have the off-road rigs shown on these threads but folks hauling with conventional highway trucks may find this site of interest . . . I am told it has taken a while to get the B triple behind the cab over Kenworth sorted but run the vid if you can, a bit of clever engineering I reckon.

http://www.elph.com.au/trailers/logging/easyloader.php

Cheers.

Last edited:

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Re HDX post #1748 here is 6-240 when she was owned by HFS unit #T723. Duncan 2005.

Attachments

• Hayes HDX_s1.jpg
    Hayes HDX_s1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 471
  • Hayes HDX_s2.jpg
    Hayes HDX_s2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 473
  • Hayes HDX_s3.jpg
    Hayes HDX_s3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 472

camptramp

Occupation
Yair . . .

Gotcha dirty4fun

I rather imagined that to be the case but the actual method of how it is done intrigues me . . . I have never seen a picture of a trailer being loaded except when attached to the truck. . . trust you get on top of your medical problems soon.

Cheers.

Found this picture it shows a preload trailer being loaded with no truck hooked to it ,scan826.jpg front bunk supported by "Preload Leg's" under front bunk .

camptramp

Occupation
Not all Employee's in a logging operation are on the Yarding & Loading , Rail Road or Dump/booming grounds . Cathy Fielding has lent us a Photo Album of pictures by and of her father Eric Saari . From the pictures it appears Eric Saari started with BCFP in 1946 , the year BCFP was created . The first pictures show a Survey crew camped on the San Juan River June /1946 , later pictures show Eric as a Scaler in the Falling & Bucking Department , my first memory of Eric Saari is as the Bull Bucker at the old Harris Cr. Camp , a title he held for many years at Renfrew Div.scan03.jpgscan04.jpgscan05.jpg