• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat Fuel Problem

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
OK, apparently nobody has read this site sinece the year 2007 !!

I have to do 3 posts so I can start a new thread so here is post # 2 to get beyond my initiaation !

Welcome to the forum crhonda. :usa

Rest assured, we read everything that pops up, but for your benfit it would be better for you to get your posts in and start your own thread about your question. That way, you control your thread, and, your not riding someone else's thread. Stop by the new members section and introduce yourself, that will be #3. :)

As far as your question; you said you could get a mouthfull of gas by drawing the fuel line, yuk! But, fuel pump won't move fuel. Given that little bit of info, I'd lean toward replacing fuel pump. Hope that helps. ;)

crhonda

Thanks for reply.

I would love to take it to a mechanic but I can't get it started to haul it !! HA!!

I did put a new fuel pump on it and it worked 3 times, but now it won't draw fuel. It is a quality pump...$126.00 worth of quality !!

I am going to replace the fuel supply lines and make sure my feed tube filter is clean by blowing air back into the supply line.

I'm thinking there must be an air leak somewhere ???

Any help would be much appreciated.

mrfixitpaul

If you blow back through the pickup line you may blow the line off...the newer ones have a check valve on the pickup screen. It's easy enough to remove the pickup line out the top of the tank to inspect it. You may be able to fish the screen end out through the fill opening to have a look, too. Also check the line where it runs behind the tank for being pinched. What does it use for a pump? Electric , mechanical or vacuum? Does it have a solenoid in the fuel line? I can't remember ever working on a 440 for a fuel problem...it has the kohler 2 cylinder gas, right?

crhonda

Thanks for replying !!

It is an electric fuel pump.

I will inspect the pickup screen rather than blowing air back thru it..thanks.

Also will inspect the line for pinching but has neer been a problem and I haven't touched the lines.
I plan to replace the black lines with clear so I can see if the fuel is moving.

Yes, it is a 2 cylinder 18hp Kohler Magnum.

I recently replaced a head gasket on the back cylinder. The machine ran good for me 3 different times after this work and replacing the fuel pump.
The fuel pump still makes the hammering sound but doesn't get the fuel.
Should I try placing some fuel in a container and seeing if the pump will draw fuel out of it ?

mrfixitpaul

You could try and pull fuel from a gas can and see what happens. Another thought....some or the older style pickup screens would wear a hole in themselves and allow debris into the line where it would get caught in the fuel shut off valve and stop the flow.

crhonda

Debris in the petcock sounds logical.

I will take a look at the full fuel line system this weekend.

Thank you very much for replying...much appreciated !!

crhonda

My 440 Bobcat lives again !!

I found the supply line down in the fuel tank had a small tear in it right where it attaches to the nozzle at the top of the tank.

Replaced this line and all other fuel line and it fired right up !!

Mr. Fixit Thank you very much for your input.

Great forum you guys !!!

SuperDirty77

I think my 753 just dropped a pick up line It only runs when i fill it to the rim and then 20min later it will die. But trying to get to it looks like its going to be fun. Now it likes to do right hand circles on it own lol

crhonda

On my 440 I can reach in over the top of the filler cap and access the pick up line.

When I lift the cab the fuel tank is right there easy to access all lines.

Good luck with the circles !! LOL !!!

SuperDirty77

not sure how to fix the circles may just a linkage adjustment or the valve body is shot. ( hope not don't have that much money to fix) It only has 1000 hours on it for a 2000 i don't think thats alot

crhonda

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on that one !!

Sounds like you might have a drive gone bad......but trust me I have ZERO experience on that.

MrFixitPaul might be able to help.

bill onthehill

I don't know your machine but some require you pull the motor as they are in the belly of the machine. Bobcat mechanic can tell you better. Be patient as he stops in pretty regular.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The fuel tank on a 751 is under the engine. What's the problem with your fuel tank that you need to get to it?

pbj1139

Fuel Issue

I have an 863 Bobcat that was doing the same thing, I replaced the fuel pickup tube in the tank and that fixed the problem, the tube had a crack in it and was sucking air along with fuel, I talked to a Bobcat mechanic and he said that they this is a common problem.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
I have an 863 Bobcat that was doing the same thing, I replaced the fuel pickup tube in the tank and that fixed the problem, the tube had a crack in it and was sucking air along with fuel, I talked to a Bobcat mechanic and he said that they this is a common problem.

Similar problem with my 863 and 963! fun fix huh? (Sarcastic of course)

TitleTown

I have a 753G Bobcat. Suddenly, after filling up the tank, I now have diesel fuel leaking down below, where that plate sits with three bolts on it. I pulled the bolts off, and sure enough there is diesel fuel dripping in that area. The grommet plug itself is dry, kind of wish it had been the plug, as it would have been an easier fix it appears. I called the Dealer, and they said there was not "overflow" on this model, so when I filled it it's possible that I over filled it and it just runs down from the fuel cap, and seeks the lowest area, which is this area under that plate. That sounded logical, but the problem is that I have used it enough around the yard here now since filling it, and I am still getting diesel fuel leaking out, so I no longer believe it is related to over filling the tank, if indeed it ever was.

I am trying to understand where else diesel fuel can leak from on this unit. There must be a supply line to the fuel pump, and I would think a return line to the tank. Where are these fittings on the tank itself? I am thinking one of these fittings might be leaking, but I am having trouble tracing them to the tank from the fuel pump area.

Oh, by they way, hate to admit it, but this unit is only really used in the winter for moving snow around my shop and the odd landscaping project, which is why I have it at my home now. So there are only 269 hours on it, it's in pretty prestine condition and has been relatively trouble free until this annoying fuel leak issue. Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone has on where these potential fuel leak areas might be.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum TitleTown.

My biggest beef with Bobcat skid machines is the location of the fuel tank, underneath the engine in the belly of the machine. There are a number of possibilities as to where your fuel leak is. You'll have to raise the cab to view some of the possibilities.

There's a rubber hose that connects filler neck to fuel tank secured with clamps, the clamp at tank could have come loose.

It's not often I've seen the grommets for fuel pickup and return fittings go bad, but it can happen. The pickup and return fittings are located underneath the drive pump, kind of a PITA to get to, but serviceable.

Another thing I've seen happen with Bobcat skids is over time small rocks and pebbles get inside the belly of the machine. They can locate themselves around the perimeter of the tank, where sides of tank are against machine belly. Vibration can cause these stones can rub holes in tank.

Have also seen the main pressure hose from work equipment pump rub a hole in a tank on a T190 where hose was against tank, constant vibration of pump hose wore a nice big oblong hole in the tank.

Lastly, you could have a faulty fuel return line going underneath engine back to tank. Both those fuel hoses, supply and return, can be tricky for one person to work with. I hope you have some luck finding your problem. :)

TitleTown

Thank you Willie. I plan to tip the cab up later today, "again"...lol, and look for these fittings for the supply and return fuel lines. I did crawl under it again, and verify that the rubber plug that is at the bottom of the tank is not leaking, it's dry as a bone. I can see where the tank itself is wet looking, directly under the engine itself, but the area between the top of the tank where it is wet looking, and the bottom of the engine is so small, that it is hard to figure out how that area is getting wet with fuel. Will keep looking, thanks again for the tips.