• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Auto-level Tilt Disabling?

nhillin

Got a Tak TL150, wish I could disable the auto tilt, if it worked both ways I'd be okay with it. But with the faver grapple while root raking it becomes a pain when already tilted down. Anyone ever tried this?

lumberjack

What kinda problems are you having? I've never noticed any issue while raking with a root grapple.

You know not to have the cylinders fully extended (bucket tilted all the way down) and drive forward engaging the ground, right? That puts a major load on the cylinders and can pull them apart.

nhillin

Well it seems as if it loses squeeze pressure when I have to tilt up to make up for the auto leveling when im close to straight down, and if I pick up without tilting back it bottoms out, which I know isn't good, but if I drive up to something already tilted down, grab it, pick up and tilt up in one motion, it loses some grapple tension if I don't continuously bump my pedal tight. But once I stop tilting its locked it and squeezed tight. So I just wanted to disable it. I have around 130 pines to move and pile, then when I come back to do my dirt work, I'd like to get my automatic level up back. Maybe I'm nuts, it just aggravated me today. I've been running it for a few months until today I had this idea which would only be beneficial to me for the grapple only.

lumberjack

The auto level shouldn't effect the aux circuit/grapple tension. I have a TL250 (Mustang MTL325), and when I grab something when rolled down, I squeeze until I get it rolled back. The weight shifting in the grapple can cause it to slip out.

Bottoming out the cylinders with the auto level isn't such a big deal, it just pushes the fluid through the relief valve. You don't want to be rolled forward all the way and hit something though.

nhillin

Yeah that's exactly what I have to do. And yeah I've hit a few things that made me cringe when it'd roll up, but I've been lucky so far. Love the machine, just pissed me off today with a few huge stumps. I was born and raised on a tractor so the auto level tripped me out for a bit at first, but the only time it affects my work is with my grapple

Goose

I do have the instructions for bypassing the self level if you want them. About the only time I have done this is for guys that do alot of auger or breaker work. If you want them let me know.

johnerotten

Good evening Goose,I have a tl130 and it would be handy to have those instructions to bypass the auto level.I'm not very fond of the feature to begin with...

Tags

I don't know if this is fact or not and not sure anyone will care, but, I've heard that once you disable the self level feature it can not be enabled again...

Tags

Tags the self level can be disabled and enabled with no problems.

That's good to know. When I was looking for a new CTL last summer the mechanic I spoke with at the Tak dealer told me that, I did have my doubts though. My old cat 287b had a switch to turn it on or off, not sure why more manufacturers wouldn't do it.

ozarkag

I do have the instructions for bypassing the self level if you want them. About the only time I have done this is for guys that do alot of auger or breaker work. If you want them let me know.
I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone has these instructions, or at least a clue on what is involved. Thank you

ozarkag

I'd be interested as well
So on the TL130 we did some thinking and poking, and this seems to work. On the self level valve- on the left of the machine, under cab, right in front of the air filter housing- locate the lift hose that comes from the main valve. Swap with the short hose- connects to a tee fitting- that loops down to the float valve directly below the self level valve. No more self level, and float still works.