• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any info on Horizon Earthworks Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

engi

Horizon Earthworks is Bakrupt.
BEWARE OF PHASE 2 EARTHWORKS

The Owner Lester Sorenson has once again drove another Civil Company into the ground. I lost track at about the 4th company.
Somehow with Horizon he was able to get bonding and bid all kinds of public jobs for Alberta Transportation and various counties. Unfortunately most of these goverment bodies have no choice but to always use the lowest tender price which seemed to be quite often Horizon Earth Works.
Everyone saw this coming with this company it was only a matter of time. Unfortunately his stupidity drove the depressed market even lower making it harder for the good contractors to survive.
But no fret like always Lestor started up another company the day after Horizon earthworks went bankrupt called Phase 2 Earthworks. personally I think it should be called Phase 14 earth works but thats besides the point.
So to all contractors, creditors, etc. BEWARE OF PHASE 2 EARTH WORKS.

Happy Digging in 2010

I have run into Lester every now and then since the Westar Pipeline days (98 I think). How he keeps finding people to back him financially is the real mystery.

I bid a job against him in the winter of 2008/2009, and he came in at 35% of our price.

Three weeks later our equipment managers phone was ringing "Can you rent me some widepads? I'll pay you when I get a progress payment."

I've been working in Civil and industrial construction for earthworks contractors in Alberta for 11 years...how am I just finding this forum?

buddy605

Occupation
Engineering tech/ survey
Westar I was approached by them when I was with Thompson Brothers. I did not go with them and with the look that was a good move. Went with Stalie instead but went back in the following spring.

bubbabooie

Nuport has no affiliation with Horizon. You might want to do your research before posting something that you're not sure about.

dozergal

Yep Lester owns serenity modular homes....his construction company is now called Phase 2 Earthworks...and SURPRISE....things are already going downhill. ...same old story...

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have several friends working for Hazco, and they seem to have nothing but good to say about them.
I never worked for Hazco, but for a couple of years I was on a job where they were the contractor employed for the demolition of an old process plant and also the packaging/removal of all the hazardous waste (asbestos, halon fire systems, structural steel coated with lead-based paints, spllled mercury & hydrocarbons, etc) from a former gold mining operation. They seemed a good bunch and all their guys from management down seemed to be a happy team, also very professional. Very low turnover of employees from what I saw. As their name suggests, they are speciaists in removing HAZARDOUS materials ......... nuff said.

http://www.ccscorporation.ca/hazco/
http://www.canadawide.com/webfm_send/75

alco

They seemed a good bunch and all their guys from management down seemed to be a happy team, also very professional. Very low turnover of employees from what I saw.

Yep, that's pretty much what my friends that work for them say. They have no real complaints.

crusher guy

The ad at Service Canada for Phase 2 Earthworks, which is Lester Sorenson, has the area listed as Lamont

I take it you are refering to the Concrete plant in Lamont.

Alot of farmers with gravel on their land were taken to the cleaners as well in the Fort Saskatchewan area .

crusher guy

Note to Lester at Horizon/ Phase 2/ Can-west. I wouldn't bring anymore equipment to Debolt. I've been told that a few neighbours are very angry with you for the stunts you've pulled out here which has left the Harper Creek road in a mess and delayed the paving of it for a year and maybe more. I don't live along it or near it but I have friends that do and they are a redneck bunch.

was expecting to see the name George Whissell or Marshall Schubert but I guess snakes breed!

rcyr

Lester Sorensen Earthworks 11

Horizon Earthworks is Bakrupt.
BEWARE OF PHASE 2 EARTHWORKS

The Owner Lester Sorenson has once again drove another Civil Company into the ground. I lost track at about the 4th company.
Somehow with Horizon he was able to get bonding and bid all kinds of public jobs for Alberta Transportation and various counties. Unfortunately most of these goverment bodies have no choice but to always use the lowest tender price which seemed to be quite often Horizon Earth Works.
Everyone saw this coming with this company it was only a matter of time. Unfortunately his stupidity drove the depressed market even lower making it harder for the good contractors to survive.
But no fret like always Lestor started up another company the day after Horizon earthworks went bankrupt called Phase 2 Earthworks. personally I think it should be called Phase 14 earth works but thats besides the point.
So to all contractors, creditors, etc. BEWARE OF PHASE 2 EARTH WORKS.

Happy Digging in 2010

Myself (from BC) and another fellow from back east worked in Evansburg Alberta at a seniors complex still under construction by binder whose doing the building.
We replaced three guys that quit. I've since quit. Lester lied about accommodations, promised $160.00 per week for grub. When asked for he said $160.00 every two weeks. He's apiece or work. I'm in Slave Lake with friends.
Superintendent for binder hates lester nothing but delays but was happy with us as in BC, and back east. From cat skinners to truck drivers they all called him a weasel.
I told him when I left to make sure he paid me and told him to give my check to fellow from back east he did not. I texted lester he said he sent it to my mailing address in BC. I talked to fellow from back east who can't afford to quit and go home - good operator/truck driver/equipment. I will wait a week to see if check gets to mailing address in BC. Fellow I talked to said sherriffs are looking for his equipment. Don't work for him - he's a piece of work - and I will get paid.

rcyr

horizon

Hey there, i currently have a warrant out nationwide for about 5 CATS that are financed to Horizon Earthworks and was wondering if anyone would currently know where these units may be stashed? apparently, they have hit rock bottom and my client wants to bring them down further. please let me know if anyone may know where these are for spite or whatever grudge you may have against this company. thanks

Hes curently working in Evansburg doing utility work for binder.(senior complex being built)
fuels up in Acheson - gas station before A&W 6-7 am
Men bunking unit three accross from tic

dozergal

Phase 2 Earthworks - Lester

I know a guy from back east - that was given an NSF payroll cheque, and is still waiting for it to be replaced. Was told by Lester that it was in the mail 3 weeks ago! Never gonna see it. Complain to the Alberta Labour Standards and you might get your cheque! :rolleyes:

Has anyone received a record of employment from him recently? (Layoff slip or ROE)?

rcyr

earthworks phase 11

I know a guy from back east - that was given an NSF payroll cheque, and is still waiting for it to be replaced. Was told by Lester that it was in the mail 3 weeks ago! Never gonna see it. Complain to the Alberta Labour Standards and you might get your cheque! :rolleyes:

Has anyone received a record of employment from him recently? (Layoff slip or ROE)?

Maybe its one of the guys who quit and we replaced or maybe its the guy i worked with from St. Johns. I'll phone him and see where he's at. I have not got payed yet.Not yet, tomorrow is deadline, if i don't have post office money order by tomorrow/Monday latest i will then go to labour standards.Latest agreement with the man himself. As far as the three guys we replaced, first day on the job we were warned about lester and the fact that one of the three guys who we were told quit one of the guys on that project said he knew the guy whoses cheque supposedly bounced for over thirty years. I asked lester the day i left why from the first day of work when people asked us who we where working for and when we told them they went OH! My! God! and then called him a name. I asked him what that was about and he when quiet and had no answer.
All i know is that i have a weeks worth of long hours and have not been payed.
When I get payed i will let the world know that lester payed me and give the man credit when credit's do.
He's say's the cheque was sent and came back because no postal code on t1 form.
I'm an honest person and have never screwed anybody and proud of it.
I'm pretty sure that postal code goes right in box after postal box number.
But I did not make copy.
If money order for money owed me does not come in i will let people know i will let people know including Binder the prime contractor. If i get my money and its not short i will also let people know.

alco

Sorry buddy, but I'll be really surprised if you get paid.....REALLY surprised.

rcyr

Sorry buddy, but I'll be really surprised if you get paid.....REALLY surprised.

I left Alberta in the 70's for BC but still have friends and familly in the slave Lake area and I will always love Alberta and Albertan's. One bad apple does not mean all Albertan's are bad but back in the day Albertan's would never allow this to happen.
They would throw the bad apple into the compost pile or worst and I will get paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.