• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any info appreciated, 600L Hy-Hoe made by Hydraulic Machinery Company Milwaukee, WI

BBracing

Has anyone had any experience or heard of this brand of construction equipment? I found one in a barn and am curious if anyone knows more about them. It has a Detroit Diesel engine. The serial number is 8110GMC. Does anyone know when this machine may have been built?

Thanks!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Seems to me they was a post about Hy-Hoe's not long ago. Try the search function. After a couple more posts you will be able to post pictures. Pictures always help.

MotoMatt

I assume you're talking about the one in Beaver Dam, haha. I saw your post while researching it myself. Looks like a 4-53 engine. How would you move it?

00F0F_h8JiM2giqBI_600x450.jpg00q0q_iSnFHSYKwEf_600x450.jpg00T0T_d2r7pUad27v_600x450.jpg00N0N_hZfQy7m6n3d_600x450.jpg00D0D_a9WzGgfWxnV_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

Freddie's

I bought this machine.... I did get it running so that I could load it on a trailer.

It is currently disassembled. I rebuilt all the cylinders, pumps, turntable and drive motors.

They were all in surprisingly good shape given the condition of the hydraulic oil.

I did have to machine a new rod for one of the cylinder due to it having a huge bend.

Robert1974

Occupation
Project Manager / Estimator
Ken,

I see you have E. Aiudi & Sons HY-HOE. I bought their F500 a few years ago and they mentioned they had a 680, but their was a family disagreement ( I was looking for a second one at the time). I have a 680 B which was also painted red.

Last edited:

Ken Carlsen

That makes you, me and everybody else. With scrap cheap, you might get paid to haul one off, up to several thousand if it's working and looks like it will get your job done without major breakdowns.

Still working through trying to acquire it. I just gotta make sure I can get it home with no major issues, and that I'm not upside down once I make a few repairs!

Ken Carlsen

Ken,

I see you have E. Aiudi & Sons HY-HOE. I bought their F500 a few years ago and they mentioned they had a 680, but their was a family disagreement ( I was looking for a second one at the time). I have a 680 B which was also painted red.

Do you have the red and black one posted on IG? Any idea the difference between the 680 and 680B?

Robert1974

Occupation
680 first model B is the second series. I seen your machine its identical with the exception of the controls. I have foot pedals that control the swing , buck, and the the travel. The B only has two levers for the booms. The other difference is my gauges are on the right hand side of the cab. My undercarriage pads are different they have a cut edge. Yours has been sitting for a while, if you don't know already make sure the rack on the detroit is free if not when you start it it will take off to the moon

Ken Carlsen

Thanks Robert. I didn't end up making a deal last year and left it to sit, but I am back in on this. I had to clear it out again (damn trees and vines grow fast!), and was able to get back into it. I pulled the intake filter (looks brand new surprisingly), and was able to access the valve cover. All looks great and the fuel racks move easily. I'm just going through the manual to figure out the governor controls as all the remote cables are seized and/or broken. I drained the water out of the hydraulics and have just over half a tank with the bucket and dipper cylinders fully retracted, and the boom cylinders about 1/4 extended. I also sucked out all the water and a good amount of debris/rust from the fuel tank. I think the last thing is to drag some water out there and fill up the coolant system and see if she starts.

Robert1974

Occupation
I would just double-check the rack and make sure the emergency shutoff works you don't want it to run away with itself. Let me know how you make out my cell is 8609125274 if you want to send some pics

Ken Carlsen

I think I have the governor controls down after reviewing the manual, so I am going to double check their function with the valve cover off before I try and start her. Hopefully this weekend if all goes well.

Emergency shutoff, you're talking about the intake flapper? I did confirm it works but the cable is broke off and missing. Any idea where it used to route to? I have a string tied to it now, but may just have a second set of hands available this weekend instead.

I'll take some more photos and hopefully some videos of start.

Delmer

if the fuel tank is that bad, can you use a rubber line to a temporary tank of new fuel. Five gallons will last a long time IF you get the return going back into the temporary tank, AFTER flushing the old stuff into the old tank.

Robert1974

Occupation
The governor should be ok they usually don't fall out of adjustment it's mechanical. Yes, the air flapper I usually flip it with a large screwdriver if something gets stuck. You will need two people anyway one to run the throttle at the engine since your cables are rotted and the second for the shutoff if something happens and or hit the starter

Ken Carlsen

if the fuel tank is that bad, can you use a rubber line to a temporary tank of new fuel. Five gallons will last a long time IF you get the return going back into the temporary tank, AFTER flushing the old stuff into the old tank.
If she won't start with the fuel as is (which doesn't seem too bad), I think I'll plan to do that when I have a chance to get some hoses and fittings. I'll probably have to replace all the fuel lines as their all pretty dry rotted. I'm surprised they aren't leaking now.

Ken Carlsen

The governor should be ok they usually don't fall out of adjustment it's mechanical. Yes, the air flapper I usually flip it with a large screwdriver if something gets stuck. You will need two people anyway one to run the throttle at the engine since your cables are rotted and the second for the shutoff if something happens and or hit the starter
Will do! Hoping to get her started this weekend!

Ken Carlsen

What are you all using for hydraulic oil and gear oil for the hydraulic pump? I need to top off both just to get it home, preferably with something cheap to sweeten it up until I can get it back to my place when all the oil will be flushed and changed.