• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few Adams 666 Pictures

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Hi everyone,
Here's a few pictures of my Adams 666 I thought I'd share. I was given this machine a few years ago, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it other than that the brakes don't work. It even came with a snow wing which I've since taken off... It had sat for 10 years without moving and I approached the owner to see if it was for sale. He said I was welcome to try to get it running since it had trees growing all through it that were several inches in diameter. All it took was a chainsaw to remove some of the trees and a battery and it was running! I drove it around and everything seemed to work. It was sitting at the local airport and had been used for snow removal there and that's what I did with it for a few winters after I got it going. Then one day the owner said either you drive it away or it goes for scrap... That was a no brainer! I drove it home that same day.:D

Attachments

• grader1.jpg
    grader1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,926
  • Grader2.jpg
    Grader2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,899
  • Grader3.jpg
    Grader3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,844
  • Grader4.jpg
    Grader4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,839

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
A lot of the older graders don't have brakes. The lines start rusting in two and rubber lines start cracking and leaking. Master cylinders need rebuilding or replacing etc. etc. the list goes on.

Very nice find! Ain't nothing like acquiring something for free!

surfer-joe

So unusual to see an Adams with a cab. Good looking old beast.

Does it have a Detroit or an International engine?

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Grouser, this machine is just as easy to operate sitting down as standing up, not really sure how to tell the difference, it's the only grader I've ever run... Yes, the rubber is good, a few of the tires have slow leaks but it takes them a looooong time to get low... Chris, the brakes don't work because when they installed tire chains (of which a full NEW set of 6 came with the grader) it tore off one of the brake lines. I hammered that one shut but dumb as I was I put ordinary DOT3 brake fluid in the master cylinder and that stuff ate the seals... Joe, it's actually got neither of those engines, it's got a Cummins, not exactly sure of the model, but it's a big one! Here's a few more pictures from when I first got it!

Attachments

• IM000056.JPG
    IM000056.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,763
  • IM000054.JPG
    IM000054.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,767
  • IM001693.jpg
    IM001693.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,748
  • IM000654.jpg
    IM000654.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,741

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Spitzair, I can see the injection pump drive in the second to last pic. Cummins always put the ID tag there that has all the engine specs. I have seen them removed or damaged on engines occasionally, I hate it when that happens. That is one nice find you came accross. :)

Dominion 410

Nice find you have there.They were good machines and can last many years.It may have been built in Paris,Ontario.

Had a Adams 440 then a Wabco 555.The triple 5 had a Cummins 743 for
power,about 210hp.Your triple 6 could have the same or maybe an 855 Cummins.

Dominion

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
All it took was a chainsaw to remove some of the trees and a battery and it was running!

Now that you say its got packing a Cummins that makes a lot of sense :cool:

We own maybe...5 dump trucks/tractor trailers w/ Cummins engines and quite a few pieces of equipment. If it doesn't fire up within 1-2 second of cranking, start searching for something wrong :D

Ouch..sorry to hear about the brakes, it shouldn't be to hard of a fix though!

Grouser

Grouser, this machine is just as easy to operate sitting down as standing up, not really sure how to tell the difference, it's the only grader I've ever run... Yes, the rubber is good, a few of the tires have slow leaks but it takes them a looooong time to get low... Chris, the brakes don't work because when they installed tire chains (of which a full NEW set of 6 came with the grader) it tore off one of the brake lines. I hammered that one shut but dumb as I was I put ordinary DOT3 brake fluid in the master cylinder and that stuff ate the seals... Joe, it's actually got neither of those engines, it's got a Cummins, not exactly sure of the model, but it's a big one! Here's a few more pictures from when I first got it!

I remember as a kid watching graders working and thinking how cool the guy standing up in the cab looked.:drinkup

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Back in the 70's I operated a 1954 Adams powered by what I recall was a UD16 International, started on gas and switched to diesel. Wasn't a bad machine, very durable but certainly no Cat. Had a great road gear for getting back to camp at the end of the day! You adjusted the brakes on the gear box for the controls by tightening or loosening a brake band on a small wheel just ahead of the cab. Had to get those set right or they'd kick heck out of you or the moldboard would drop on it's own. It was a fine line.

Plowed snow with it in the winter. Piddly little heater in the cab meant you were half frozen most of the time. Anyway, I finished miles and miles of streets and parking lots with it and have fond memories of the machine.

LeakyBoot

Same here

I remember as a kid watching graders working and thinking how cool the guy standing up in the cab looked.:drinkup

We lived on a gravel road that was graded often. I'd go sit on the road bank and watch as they came. Usually 2 or 3. Watched the park brake drum turn under the cab on those old Cat's. Now our road is paved and besides----if I went out at age 51 they might think---------- LB

hardtail

Great score Spitzair..........:) thats one of the newest looking Adams I've seen:notworthy.......mine has a cab but it's the older rounded corner style from the 40/50's........I have a feelin you either helped the previous owner out on occasion or he took a likin to ya..........:cool:

Looks like you've tamed the hand of the devils machine..........LOL

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Spitzar I bet if you fell out a window you would go up, my Da always said "better to be born Lucky than rich"..well done best of luck with it .

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Har har har de har."Spitzar I bet if you fell out a window you would go up".:D:D:D:D:D:D.

Last edited:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
The only thing I got for nothing was grief, and people are always willing to give that away..