• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

980g no functions, no hydraulics, no drive

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Casetech7, glad to hear the kitty is working again! Still trying to figure out what that part is in the picture that looks like a cap or hose is missing off it.

casetech7

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic @ case dealer
you were correct on that picture it is the parking actuator that line next to it was off of it and should have been going to the fitting on top of the actuator the road guy disconnected that to get it to move onto the trailer i believe the top of the actuator is leaking the operator is coming tomorrow to test run it since I'm not familiar with how the machine should feel and dig just to be 100% sure...ill talk to him tomorrow about it, apparently there is another hyd pump on the back side of the engine flywheel housing next to the transmission the suction line was loose from that and leaking when air pressure was applied to the hyd tank, after talking to the owner of the sand plant/machine he said oh yeah thats happened on this machine several times and CAT came out and changed several suction lines due to them collapsing...but they wouldn't reveal that info before today i was told all they said was its broke fix it....gotta love being a mechanic

Cmark

The parking brake is spring applied, hydraulic release so removing the line from the actuator would do nothing to help. The only way to move a dead machine is to either apply hydraulic pressure to the actuator or disconnect the clevis on the end of the actuator rod.

If the machine was rolling and the clevis was connected then the parking brake is faulty. I personally would beware sending it back to the customer like that unless you make it clear in writing that he is aware of the fault.

casetech7

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic @ case dealer
the park brake holds the machine i believe he used the shop hydraulic hand pump to release the park brake thats what i gathered this morning from him

Jonas302

Excellent work a good mechanic always questions the boss I have two of those 980g in the fleet so its good to know what can take them down

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
the park brake holds the machine i believe he used the shop hydraulic hand pump to release the park brake thats what i gathered this morning from him

Okay, that make more sense! That brake has adjusted just like old drum brakes on cars, a bit tricky to get to the cog wheel but can be done from front side. But if the brake drum and shoes are as nasty as the actuator looks I 'm not sure how good it could work! The burnishing in procedure for new shoes surprised me when I read it.

Note: Replacement brake shoes must be burnished. In order to burnish the brake shoes, make three successive stops from third speed forward at maximum speed. Allow the parking brake to cool to ambient temperature after the third stop.

Knowing how well that brake works at slow speeds had me hesitating to snap it on while running flat out in 3rd the first time!:eek:

And while we are talking about this parking brake, test procedure is as follows:

Note: The following step will produce a Warning Category 3. The parking brake indicator will turn ON and the master action light will flash. The action alarm will sound.

Engage the parking brake. Change upshift gear speed switch (2) to THIRD SPEED. Change transmission direction control switch (3) to the FORWARD position, while the AUTO shift switch is in the OFF position.

Gradually increase the engine speed to high idle. The machine should not move.

Last edited: