• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

60xt pin brake broke

fge

Hello. I have a 60xt. Pin brake finally broke (been a sticky one since new). Machine starts but blows fuse as soon as I put arm bar down. So I cant move the machine. Is this because of the pin brake or is there another problem? Is there a quick way around this to get machine moved or should I replace the pin brake where it is? Not sure what is involved in fixing it or how damaged it is. Would really prefer to be able to move it on trailer and get it fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fge

Additional information. It is the interlock system fuse that blows when the seat bar is lowered.

Goose

The interlock fuse is blowing because one of the interlock solenoids is shorted internally. You will need to replace one or both of the solenoids.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome fge!
The problem you will likely be one of two electrical solonoids mounted to the loader control valve. These lock the spools from moving until the brake is released. One of them is shorted out & causes the interlock fuse to blow. This may or may not be a pic of your valve, but you get the idea.
If you disconnect them the engine will continue running, but you will have locked controls. You need to replace the faulty solonoid to get the machine to operate.
You can modify the burnt out solonoid to get the machine to operate - but these are 'safety devices' - if someone is ever hurt by the machine ie: pinned by falling bucket - & you are investigated :rolleyes: ........... well... it's up to you to decide.
Don't you love modern machinery :drinkup

edit - Goose just beat me to the post :)

Attachments

• 60xt control valve.png
    60xt control valve.png
    26 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

fge

Thank you for your responses.

Is it easy to replace the solenoids? Easy access since I can't get the bucket up? I am the only one who operates the skid steer. If I were to modify something it would be to get it on the trailer to get fixed. Is there any how to information to replace the solenoids or bypass them?

Would the pin brake cause the solenoids to go? After pin brake went I shut the machine off (even though I new I should have put it on the trailer first) and next time I tried to start the solenoids were gone. Just coincedence?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
To raise the loader frame there is a manual override - there should be a black knob near your right leg while sitting in the operators seat. By pulling this, while engine is running, you can raise the loader frame.
Now, to get the engine running, you need to disconnect the two wiring harnesses at the interlock solonoids, by accessing them through the small plate on the RH rear of the machine. Replace the interlock fuse & start the machine, pull the override knob, raise the frame.
Sounds easy, can be a PIA to get to the wiring harness as the access hole is small.
.........I have been known to install a large fuse at the interlock, to get it running & then quickly raise the frame. If the tilt solonoid is faulty, the frame will raise with normal operation - no override required.......:rolleyes:

edit - I'm not sure if you have mechanical or hydraulic brakes as there are both types. As you describe 'pin' i would assume mechanical? It should not be related to the electrical problem. Sort the interlock & let us know if you still need help.

Last edited:

fge

The machine will run. It blows the interlock fuse when I lower the seat bar. Runs great if I don't lower the seat bar.

Sorry if I come off noobish but besides regular maintanence and a fuel line, I have never had to do anything to this machine. Why do I need to raise the loader frame if I access the interlock selonoids through a small plate on the RH rear of the machine? Or is that just the wiring harness that connects to it? If so I'm guessing I need to lift the cab to get to the solenoids.

I do believe the brake is mechanical. It is engaged/disengaged by the seat bar. Not sure if that makes a difference. Have used newer machine with park brake button. Much nicer system.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The XT machines had the push button brake system as an option, your appears to have the standard pin brake system carried over from the 1800 series. While the pin brake has its issues, at least its mechanical in its activation, push button is great until eletrical gremlins strike which they do at times. I am sure you know this but with the pin brake system if you park on an incline first back up the grade slightly and allow the pins to retract. Simply pulling the lap bar down and driving forward may not release the pins due to tension on the pins. You can drive through those pins especially on the larger XT machines. This is a common mistake made with the 1800 series. Also keep the belly of the machine clean.