• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580K what to look for?

Palmer78

I might go look at a couple case 580K's for sale locally, but I have virtually no experience with backhoes. Is there anything in particular I need to look out for with these hoes, and backhoes in general while inspecting them. How much slop in considered too much in the pins? These are 4x4 units so is there anything in particular I need to look out for in the four wheel drive system? Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, what are peoples opinions on the 580K's? Are they good hoes reliablity and durablility wise? Oh and one more thing. What would it take to convert 4 stick controls to cat or deere controls and general price if I did the work myself?

nathan812

If 4x4 check the front hubs for slack in them. The set up of the 4x4 will eat up the front axle then it will start leaking inside the wheel or right where the front shaft goes into the hub. Had to rebuild them before it is no fun let me tell you. Also look at the battery box sometimes they become loose and you will get hard starts or no starts like the battery is dead but it is the box is loose so not a good ground. Of course rust is always a problem with these models.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Can't give ya much help on the technical part of your question Palmer, but in the field I can say that the K model Case was never a favorite of mine or fellow operators I have discussed this with. Not to say it was a dud by no means, It just never stood out as a fresh new Case Idea as the E or M models did. The k model seemed a bit tired in the front end after not too many hours on the hobbs. There are a lot of them around so it may have just been the ones in this area that did not seem as popular as the other models of Case backhoes. As far as the conversion kits, I have heard that might be an expensive venture with the foot swing and all.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Are you looking at a K because your looking for at slightly cheaper priced machine than something like an M? If that's so, a 580K isn't a bad choice. The K may not be the favorite of insleyboy in his post, and he probably has a good reason. But it's my experience, as a mechanic that has worked on K's with thousands of hour on them, that they're not a bad choice for an older loader/hoe. I'd take a K over a New Holland or JCB of that vintage. The K was a reliable, well built machine, and friendly for the mechanic to work on. The ductile iron hoe boom is tough, the rear axles are good, the shuttle trans is easy to work on, and the Cummins engine is as good as it get's. But if it's a 4wd, take advice given previously and check it closely. I wouldn't worry to much about the "4 lever" controls, once you start working with it, it won't take you long to get the hang of it. Another machine you might look at is the JD 410D. It's would be my second choice over a 580K.

bill onthehill

I have owned my 580k 4x4 ext.hoe for a little over 4 years and I must say it is a tough machine. If I have any complaint it is a little short on front bucket power. it has a bypass built in that limits how much you can lift to protect the front axle. It will dig as well as any I have run and so far has been virtually trouble free. as far as 4 sticks go, I was not real happy to learn a new pattern but now I don't know that I would go back to wobble sticks. the cummins is a great engine with plenty of power. I have done some serious rock digging with mine with out any problems except losing a tooth now and then. Mine had 4400 hours when I bought it and still runs strong. not a bad machine to road either. It is heavy(17,000 lb.) but has good traction and is hard to get stuck. I would not give it up for a cat or jd and I have a lot of hours on both. Bill

hammerdwn20

Occupation
pipeline
I have experience on a 410d deere and 580e. Not really comparing apple to apples. the 410 is one strong machine but isnt as nimble as the 580. the 580 is a lot nicer to road and the cummins engine is damn reliable. like everyone said check that front end.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
K's in my area had hyd tank cracking. Also were the loader frame arms connects to the tractor look for repairs. It's an easy conevert from foot to hand swing, usually you can find a case dealer with a wobble stick BH and he will swap you pay labor, or get used parts. A different spring in the swing valve needs to be changed to. My best buy is Super L Series 2 for a used Case BH.

nathan812

I thought of some other things to check for also. Check the inside of the frame in front of the cab if you see diesel leaking run. The diesel tank in these hoes is in the frame and alot of times it will crack right in front of the cab. Also check the brakes, I have heard they are not fun at all to fix or work on for that matter. I have run a K for alot of hours and have enjoyed it if I was looking for a tractor for the farm I would include them, but I have a good idea what to look for.

kub3130

How to Check Out a 580K Transmission?

Looking at used 580K phase 3 backhoes. What is the recommended check out procedure for the transaxle? The first machine had a bad transmission so I called a dealer and they said the phase 3 machines normally require a 5000.00 repair when the transmission goes out . I'm going to look at another this week and am curious what you guys recommend as a checkout procedure. Thanks in advance!!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Looking at used 580K phase 3 backhoes. What is the recommended check out procedure for the transaxle? The first machine had a bad transmission so I called a dealer and they said the phase 3 machines normally require a 5000.00 repair when the transmission goes out . I'm going to look at another this week and am curious what you guys recommend as a checkout procedure. Thanks in advance!!

Your question is rather vague. You mention transaxle and transmission. Are you talking about the rear axle (transaxle) which is part of the "transmission"? Are you talking about the shuttle transmission? Or are you possibly, because it's not clear, talking about the front 4wd axle? I don't know of any specific procedure to "check" any of these compontents for thorough inspection, since, none of them are in pieces. The best you can do is get on the machine, go fwd then rev, listen for any noises or strange feeling clunks. Try all the transmission speeds, shifting while moving, and shifting while still. Do any of the gear engagements feel strange, how are the detents, do any "pop out of gear", again, noises. Same goes for rear axle. Turn sharp corners left and right with diff lock off as well as on (note: things will "feel" strange when turning sharp with diff lock on, one tire should be plowing gravel), if not, diff lock probably ain't working. Your looking for stange noises and clunks. How's the brakes work? Are they adjusted to be equal when each pedal is depressed? Any brake chatter? A lot of K's get brake chatter with improper or cheaper trans fluid. Look for leaks where axles come out of axle housing, front and rear. Could be bad seal, could also be bad bearings. Pull the dipsticks, what's the oil look like? White colored oil in the trans is not good. This is just the usual things a person would check on any machine of this type.

nathan812

We had one get stuck in 1st couldn't shift it no matter what tried rocking it and moving with the bucket to get it to shift no luck. took it to case dealer said trans was fried need another one for 5000.00. We parked it wasn't worth fixing. But before it went out it had been hard to shift between gears also put it in 4th and see if it will climb a hill or just bogg down. When trans is going south it will barely pull if at all if you hit a hill. Some of the k's have trans stick under hood and then others are behind seat under a cover depends and series I guess.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Some of the k's have trans stick under hood and then others are behind seat under a cover depends and series I guess.

Now I'll be quick to admit I can be wrong as I haven't worked on every K year model made, but all those I've worked on the Shuttle Trans (fwd/rev) trans dipstick is accessed under the hood in the engine compartment. The gearbox trans dipstick is accessed via a hole in the cab floor under the seat. You may have made a good call by not buying one that the dealer said the trans was trashed. On the other hand, it might not have been trashed, just needed repairs. Seems with it's problems, if the rest of the machine was good, you might have obtained it at a darn good price. As for repairing the gearbox trans; I have completely disassembled the guts of one in a K and repaired/replaced bad parts without removing the trans housing or transaxle from machine. Not too many machines I've been able to do that.

nathan812

there was alot more wrong then just the trans. the motor locked up not long after the trans stuck in 1st. The hydro pump was weak and it had a crack in the frame where the fuel tank was. The 4wd didn't work and the front hubs needed to be repaired. Machine had 9000 hours on it and the hour meter hadn't worked since I was around them.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm surprized you didn't say the seat fell off the pedestal when you got off the machine!

kub3130

Thanks for the replies

Thanks. That was the kind of information I was looking for. Going tomorrow to look at one. Seems like the Phase 3 transmissions are OK but when they go, they're more espensive to repair than the Phase 1s with the Borg-warner reversers.

Thanks again! Great Website and helpful folks!