• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

3208 cat transmission options

Truck Shop

Main & Auxiliary? Add a shift tower, linkage, which is a bit-h to get set up right with cab, cut
a hole in the floor, then if not set at correct angle with that short wheel base {vibrate}. Sticks
is a last ditch effort.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I know she ain't worth nothing. But ol girls got a lot of heart. Only has little over 200k on the clock. Turns a lot of heads too lol. Just a toy not an earner. Its actually my daily. Grocery store and all. Im retired. Just cant give up the road. Ill hook her to anything thats safe and mostly legal.

Don’t hang up your hat, just yet. Just lost a line-haul driver. We are severely short tanker yankers.

I need a feller that’s trained to drive through An icy land.

A hard-worker. Who can steer with just one hand!

A fella who can pull by night and day.

Pulling tanks the Alaskan way!

Put a 4 speed behind it

Drivelines should only cost you like 2k
So run 2 sticks?...could be fun
Don’t hang up your hat, just yet. Just lost a line-haul driver. We are severely short tanker yankers.

I need a feller that’s trained to drive through An icy land.

A hard-worker. Who can steer with just one hand!

A fella who can pull by night and day.

Pulling tanks the Alaskan way!
Done pulled my time in the great icy North. Was thinking about going back to Long Haul. But June 12th is this year a tractor pulled out in front of my motorcycle. Broke both my arms in multiple places. That's why I'm fixing old red now. Going to be a minute before I can drive it again. So when I'm ready she'll be ready.

Used to drive a old Ford tandem dump truck with a 5x4 and a 3208 cat. Wed load it up to like 60k and it was a lot of work driving that thing that heavy. Grabbing two gears at the same time loaded is fun.
A lot of elbows and assholes flying around in that cabin LOL I remember watching dad drive a two stick. Wasn't sure whether he was driving a truck or rowing a boat. One thing was for sure it was a lot of fun. I go mad when I have to drive an automatic. I need something to do to keep me awake.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
You could also put a 4 speed Allison in it. There are hundreds of old fire trucks getting scrapped that have a MT643 behind a 3208 with nothing wrong with them. Get a spare parts engine as part of the deal.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yes, but I thought this thread was more about a 5 speed stick not being enough and not about top end speed.

An automatic works differently, the converter takes care of most what would be the low side in a 9/13 speed and the lockup gears are spaced pretty close so a 4 speed keeps the engine where it needs to be most of the time if geared properly.