• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1993 JD 310d brake is sticking

Richie0

Hello everyone, I posted a few days back about a case 580c and a jd 310d. I bought the 310d and on my way home all of the sudden both petals just went straight to the floor as I was pushing them, they firm right back up with a pump or 2. Then the back left wheel started to stick. I pulled over, put it on the stabilizers and confirmed the left rear is sticking, the right seems fine. I worked it forward and back for a minute and it seemed to loosen up although about a mile down the road the same thing. Any way to unstick it or things to check? It’s possible both are sticking as I can’t turn either on neutral although the left is definitely sticking worse thanks.

Richie0

I let the machine sit for about an hour and it is better but not free. What about the fluids in this I know the engine oil dipstick, the trans dipstick, what are the 2 dipsticks on the passenger side underneath the little hood close to the cab? One goes right into a big tank the other goes down a little while. The one going to the big tank is low on fluid and I’m thinking that if this is hyd fluid that could cause something goofy with the brake pressures. Can you indicate which fluids I put where thanks

Finca SDR

There is a dipstick in the floor right in front of the seat under the steering wheel, that is the big transaxle rear transmission. The brakes are in the transaxle. Perhaps the fluid is low?

The one down below on the right is the reverser transmission. The one up above in the center of the hood is the hydraulic fluid. That one doesn't have anything to do with the brakes. At least if my '97 310d is similar to a '93 310d.

Congratulations on the purchase regardless of if you need to fix some things. If I recall the price was right. A 310d is an awesome machine.

Richie0

Hello, I will give the fluids all a look over again tomorrow. It drives fine cold, then once Drive it for an hour it’s like I’m trying to push something down the road with it. Then it gets to the point where it won’t go forward but goes backward just fine.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF fellow Pennsylvanian;)!

both petals just went straight to the floor

That tells me you could have a brake piston seal failure. If the machine sits a while will it do it again? Try letting it sit and press one pedal or the other to see if it is one particular side.

Then the back left wheel started to stick.

Either the brake stops are adjusted too tight, the brake valve is not adjusted correctly preventing oil release or the brake piston is sticking and not completely returning.

If the incorrect oil is in it and not Hygard then yes there could be brake lining issues.

Richie0

Hello, so I tried this morning with the tractor cold. Lifted it up with the stabilizers and could almost turn both wheels by hand. If I used the slop between forward and reverse they’d budge but some kind of brake/resistance is still being applied to them. Both pedals did it simultaneously on the road and it only happened after pushing the tractor down the road for some time. Sounds like I should make sure the right fluid is in there, how do I drain it (all of it) and what do I replace it with, I’m assuming when you refer to brake fluid you are talking about the dipstick in the cab labeled transmission oil right? Is that also the fill?

Finca SDR

Hello, so I tried this morning with the tractor cold. Lifted it up with the stabilizers and could almost turn both wheels by hand. If I used the slop between forward and reverse they’d budge but some kind of brake/resistance is still being applied to them. Both pedals did it simultaneously on the road and it only happened after pushing the tractor down the road for some time. Sounds like I should make sure the right fluid is in there, how do I drain it (all of it) and what do I replace it with, I’m assuming when you refer to brake fluid you are talking about the dipstick in the cab labeled transmission oil right? Is that also the fill?

That is correct, I just changed the transaxle oil in mine and it took a five gallon bucket about even. Maybe just a little less. There's a drain plug on the bottom of the transaxle near the back.

Obviously changing the oil is the first step in troubleshooting but your symptoms sound like something else is wrong.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I’m assuming when you refer to brake fluid you are talking about the dipstick in the cab labeled transmission oil right?

The dipstick in the cab at your feet is for what is properly termed the transaxle. That would be the same compartment your brake linings are in. You want to use Hygard because that has the proper friction modifiers specified by Deere.

The "brake fluid" uses return oil from the hydraulic system to keep the brake valve reservoir full and that is the valve the pedals are attached to. The brake fluid should be separate from the transaxle fluid. If the brake seals leak then there will be a transfer of fluid (hydraulic oil level goes down and transaxle level goes up).

Finca SDR

The dipstick in the cab at your feet is for what is properly termed the transaxle. That would be the same compartment your brake linings are in. You want to use Hygard because that has the proper friction modifiers specified by Deere.

The "brake fluid" uses return oil from the hydraulic system to keep the brake valve reservoir full and that is the valve the pedals are attached to. The brake fluid should be separate from the transaxle fluid. If the brake seals leak then there will be a transfer of fluid (hydraulic oil level goes down and transaxle level goes up).
Thanks i didn't know that's how they work.

Richie0

MG, so it sounds like the fluid reservoir under the hood that goes into the tank is hyd fluid (hyd fluid short stick 6-9 inches).. confirming the one with the dipstick to the left of it is shuttle oil long stick about 2 feet… hyd fluid can leak past the seals and raise the transaxle level (dipstick by foot) while lowering the hyd fluid?? I just bought this machine and haven’t had much time with it however the hyd oil is low/fell off the stick. I haven’t been watching close enough to see if the transaxle oil has raised. I guess the best thing to do here would be to add hyd fluid and see if transaxle oil comes up?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
hyd fluid can leak past the seals and raise the transaxle level (dipstick by foot) while lowering the hyd fluid??

Correct.

The Transaxle (between the feet) and the Hydraulic oil are checked with the engine off and the loader on the ground and the backhoe in the transport position. The Reverser (shuttle) is checked with the engine idling.

Richie0

MG, thanks. What kind of hyd fluid should I add? Any idea where I can find a service manual that outlines all of these systems/fluid requirements? It would surely be nice.

Finca SDR

Your shuttle, transaxle and hydraulic reservoir are all supposed to use deere hygard.

I use the hygard in the transaxle and shuttle cuz those have friction disks and important stuff. For the hydraulics I generally use generic 68 hydraulic oil cuz it's a lot cheaper but also cuz it's available at the gas station whereas I have to go for a drive and a half to get the hygard.

Then your front axle and hubs are supposed to get like 80w 90 gear oil or something. I'm so embarrassed I've been topping them off with 40wt and grease for a few years now. But it forms a coagulation that stops up all the leaks pretty well.