• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1977 Mack RS600L breaking front wheel studs

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
are you sure its a 1977,that fender behind the tire looks like a 97

Art_H

yeah pretty sure...there is an old craig stereo in there...bringin back the memories. lol. Engine is stamped 1977 as well. The fenders may have been added to fit the super single fronts maybe?

Just a quick one, I currently have wedge brakes on the front only. What would I be looking at to get another front axle with s-cam? It would maybe remove this stud breaking problem as well

grandpa

The guy that invented wedge brake's should have been beaten with a stick and sent to live the rest of his life in Snodgrass Montana. That would be reason enough for me to change out that front axle alone..... good luck with it all.

mitch504

You could change the backing plates and drums, rather than the axle. If you keep breaking studs, you could change hubs. If you do change, make sure you change to something with outboard drums. A 1977 probably had inboard drums.

As bad as I HATE to say that old geezer is right about anything, but, the man who invented wedge brakes should have that wedge driven up his.... Oh, oh I almost got myself :ban

Art_H

Approx price for changing backing plates and drums etc???

ronbourd

If this can help, 2 of our MCi coach we had were breaking studs occasionnaly on the front axle. The only way we resolved that problem was by taking the studs off the front wheel hud and having a machine shop refaced the area in contact with the wheel rim.